Snowbird Down

A Snowbird went off the runway at the Fort St John BC airport on Tuesday:

fort-st-john-snowbirds-incident.jpg

it was headed to it's next destination when according to reports it lost the engine, the pilot managed to get it down on the runway but ran out of hard surface. The pilot is okay but the plane took out a light and some fencing.

Jari

7 hours ago, Finn said:

A Snowbird went off the runway at the Fort St John BC airport on Tuesday:

fort-st-john-snowbirds-incident.jpg

it was headed to it's next destination when according to reports it lost the engine, the pilot managed to get it down on the runway but ran out of hard surface. The pilot is okay but the plane took out a light and some fencing.

Jari

Their little airplanes are real troopers, but they have to be so very tired and used up after all these years.  Everybody loves the Snowbirds.  They are always a big draw at airshows and show the flag well, so you’d think the government would find a way to put them in something newer than the same jets the pilots’ grandfathers flew.  I assume this airplane will be written off; how do they even source parts these days?

Kudos to the pilot for getting it down ok, that must have been some hairy flying.   Do those jets have upgraded zero-zero seats or do they have the originals still fitted?   I too wonder how long we'll see them in service.   

On 8/4/2022 at 6:14 AM, John1 said:

Kudos to the pilot for getting it down ok, that must have been some hairy flying.   Do those jets have upgraded zero-zero seats or do they have the originals still fitted?   I too wonder how long we'll see them in service.   

I am fairly positive from watching the ejection video of the last fatal accident the Snowbirds had, that the seats have not been upgraded-

P