Tornado F.3 - Flying Start Models / Revell

Isar 30/07

Well done Reimund! Perhaps folks can see now why I have been so reluctant to progress this project to a commercial product, it requires a great deal from the modeller, I have have been extremely concerned that folks would buy the parts and expect it to fall together. I have tried extremely hard to get this to 'work' and I know Iain Ogilvie has been championing the project for ages (read that as metaphorically kicking my ar*e on numerous occasions!! But, I am just not happy about taking folding money from folks for parts that I can't back up, in the way that I most certainly CAN stand behind the T31 glider kit. They are chalk and cheese, and while I am extremely proud of the T31 kit, the F3 set just makes me knot up inside! Sorry, Iain, and I must say I am extremely grateful to Iain Ogilvie, and the handful of others who are tackling this with some of my F3 parts, but I really have run out of steam on this now. 

That said, if anyone does want to tackle the project, I am happy to send them a set of parts, as you see them here and on Iain's Magnum Opus,  FDM printed in HIPS and not that dreadful PLA  (sorry to bang on about that, but really, 3d printerists out there, PLEASE do yourselves all a favour and sling any PLA you have in the river, and replace it with High Impact Polystyrene, HIPS, it is the same plastic that your kits are moulded in, so all the aggro you get trying to glue, fill, sand, polish, paint that awful PLA, completely vanish!!  There, rant over... for now, anyway!)  Drop me a line and I can box up a set for you, I'd ask you cover the postage to wherever you want them sent, and, if you like what you get and think it will be a fun project to stretch your talents, then send me a kit or decals or something, 1:32, British service, in return, and I will be more than happy! I can ping you my current Hannants wish list if you need inspiration!! If not, bin it, and we can both put it down to experience!!

Looking forwards to seeing Reimund finish this project, and thrilled Eduard are prepared to run us off some F3 specific markings, that really is going the extra mile for the hobby!

Tim, Bristol, UK

Just a short break in building my own 1:1 scale diorama.

Thanks for you comments - much appreciated!

Tim,

from the beginning of Iain´s test build on this conversion, I was aware this conversion would need some attention.

This was pointed out by you (Tim) and Iain and so I did not knew exactly what the conversion set would fit or work.

But, I was infected and needed to get these parts. When getting this set, the only thing I said to me: Let´s start!

Having written earlier, I learned a lot of Iain´s build and had to dig even deeper into the books I have on the F.3.

Yes, I wouldn´t recommend this conversion to a beginner but this build is pure fun to me!

Thinking over and over when facing an "obstacle" during building this kit and then trying to fix it - isn´t it that all we are modelers for?

When pointing out, that there are some challenges I faced so far, this is written not as a critic on this conversion set - just the things I had to do.

Hopefully people may see what is needed to do this conversion and so they can decide whether they would do this journey or not.

Just another week or two and then I hopefully can go on with the F.3.

Just a thing I wanted to point out at last:

The decals I asked EDUARD for are the stencils only. The decal sets from FLIGHTPATH and/or XTRADECAL are needed for all the other markings like squadron signs and so on. I have no idea if these are still available.

If of interest, I will post both sets next time and if there is someone interested in on or the other markings option, then let me know. 

Reimund

Hi folks, just a note to say all the prototype parts I had have now gone to new homes, so hopefully there might be another build or two on the forum over the coming months. I won't be printing any more, not for a while at least.

I am taking a bit of time off while I relocate the work room, as our younger daughter and her partner moved out to their new house a couple of weeks ago, so after redecorating, I finally have some space in the house to work in.  But it will take a bit to sort it all out!

I will have a bit of a clearance sale too shortly, I have a lot of other parts that some might find useful rather than binning them, so watch this space. The T31 Glider kit remains available, either ping me directly, or look on eBay.

Tim

Edited by wunwinglow
Speelinngn....

• 1 month later...

Hi all, 

finally received the requested Eduard decals :clap2:

20221005-155005.jpg

It´s a huge sheet (larger than DIN A4) covering all the stencils of their D32009 (to use with GR.4´s) as well as twice the walkways due to the lenghtened fuselage of the F.3. 

As you may see in the upper right corner, there are some more decals. First in the outer right there are 3 sets of decals for AN/AAQ-28 (I have 3 of Tim´s sets that lack any decals).

Left of these decals there are 50 very small decals, that I asked for. These are electricity warning signs (yellow triangle with an black lightning inside).

These signs are often seen on the real ones and so also on the WSO´s consoles in the F.3.

Tried to photograph them which is due to their size not an easy task - see the next photos. 

20221006-083001.jpg

20221006-083041.jpg

Last but not least - let´s talk about the costs:

I had to pay 3539,25 CZK which is around 150€. Around 100€ is printing, the rest is fot tax/shipping.

Comparing to the price for a D32009 sheet this price is impressive.

From the beginning of my request I calculated around 100€ which was almost a hole in one in the end.

Talking to Martin from Eduard if this will be a single print or if they can print additional ones on request,

he told me they are prepared for more requests.

Will Eduard sell this sheet within their products? As far as I see - not yet.

Will it be available at a reduced price when ordering more sets? I don´t know but to be honest I had no discussion on that point.

Does Eduard produce customized decals? I don´t know and I was very surprised when they told me they would do these decals for me.

Maybe it was not a big task as the D32009 sheet was already done and there was "just a little change in colouring".

One word about conversation over the months: My contact Martin is a very helpful man who did his best to fulfill my wishes.

It took more than 6 months from requesting to get this sheet, but as I am not in hurry and due to other things that had to be done first, this was absolutely 

ok to me.

Let me say a BIG thank you Martin - you made my day!

If you are interested in this decal sheet, here´s where I contacted Eduard:

subdodavky@eduard.com

So, now having the decals , I can restart my F.3 ...

Reimund

For the current build of the F.3 I came across a modeler in Peru. My good friend Alex (aka @Coneheadff) made some research on a German IDS Tornado at display in the Deutsches Museum in Munich-Oberschleissheim. This man in Peru named Eduardo Cardenas needed some information what the APU looks like inside as he wanted to print some updates for Tornados, mainly in 1/48 scale.

One let to the other: Contacted Eduardo (he is the master of Jetpassionmodels) and he printed the APU for me. Beside that, I ordered some more stuff for future projects (british bolted 1500 l tanks and some GR/IDS exterior update sets covering new APU, ECS exhausts as well as the airscoop on the belly in an early/late style).

There are some more things, he is printing or is about to do in the future - he is real Tornado infected;)

When planning items for the fuselage, he is referring to the Italeri kits (GR.4, ECR - and of course sooner or later the IDS/GR.1 and hopefully one day an F.3, too).

Saying this, you have to adjust these parts to the Revell kits, which should be no problem at all.

One thing - the APU has some panel lines around that are that deep as we all know when seeing an Italeri kit. Again, with some minor adjustments these parts will work with Revell Tornados perfectly. 

I don´t know how many different things he is currently offering, so please have a look at his FB site Jet Passion Scale Models (facebook.com) or get in touch via mail (jetpassionscalemodels@gmail.com).

Further I don´t know if any retailers carry his stuff, but due to rumors Aero Spezial Modellbauversand - Decals - Fachliteratur - Farben - Figuren - Modellbausätze - Zurüstsets (aero-spezial-modellbauversand.de) in Germany had ordered some items. Checking the site right now, there are no items listed yet.

What about the costs? Well, I don´t want name that now, because I could help him with some informations on the Tornado. I don´t know, if his price was some kind of "thank you". But, let me say just one thing: It´s a really fair price comparing to what very high level printed things you will get. 

More on this maybe on FB.

20221005-160828.jpg

20221005-160838.jpg

20221006-082752.jpg

20221006-082836.jpg

20221005-160936.jpg

20221005-160954.jpg

20221005-161041.jpg

As written earlier in a post, here are the covering F.3´s which I had to choose one:

20221005-155809.jpg

20221005-155828.jpg

20221005-155926.jpg

20221005-155915.jpg

My choice is Xtra decal N° 11 Sqn. Keep my fingers crossed that they will work when it´s time for decalling, since they are really old and the 

yellow of the badges beneath the cockpit look much more like an early ink jet print.

Would I go on building the F.3? FOR SURE!

Can I go on? Not the way I want to.

As written earlier, due to building a new house, my focus is on that project during the last months.

Projected ready by the end of March 2023, the next challenge is coming over the horizon: the removal half across Germany.

As you may imagine, it will take time even in the new house when everything is in place and you will have time to relax and continue modelling.

I will try do some modelling but I guess at the moment, the F.3 will not be completed in the home my wife and me are living right now.

Whenever some progress is done, I will post some progress.

Reimund

• 1 month later...