Question on F-16 Block 25 or Block 30 Aggressor from Tamiya Block 50 kit

ade rowlands

1 hour ago, ade rowlands said:

Using the decals that are available to me at this point in time, both TwoBobs sheets I’m looking at doing either 83-0159 in the Nellis Splinter Blue (Block 32 according to decals but F-16.net say Block 25) or 86-0263 in Eilson Splinter Black/White (Block 30). Don’t think anyone has done decals for the BDU style Splinter in our scale 86-0295 (Block 30).

Two Bobs made one for for the BDU style splinter. Its on this sheet:  32-069 F-16C Alaskan Splinters Part 2 - its sold out on their website unfortunately so you need to track it down on eBay or somewhere.

That would also save you any intake and exhaust modifcations on the F-16CJ kit

/Niels

32-069 F-16C Alaskan Splinters Part II | 32-069

1 minute ago, Zola25 said:

Two Bobs made one for for the BDU style splinter. Its on this sheet:  32-069 F-16C Alaskan Splinters Part 2 - its sold out on their website unfortunately so you need to track it down on eBay or somewhere.

That would also save you any intake and exhaust modifcations on the F-16CJ kit

/Niels

Thanks. I’d only done a quick search on Hannants and that’s why I didn’t see it. For some reason I find the BDU one quite striking. 

51 minutes ago, ade rowlands said:

Thanks. I’d only done a quick search on Hannants and that’s why I didn’t see it. For some reason I find the BDU one quite striking. 

You are not alone ;)

3 hours ago, ade rowlands said:

No joy finding that decal sheet anywhere. Late to the party once again. 

I have never really understood the policy that TwoBobs (and others) have adopted that they will only print limited numbers and then never again.. 

But if you have a little patience I have seen it appear on eBay from time to time

Edited by Zola25

83-0159 is a block 25. Production of the block 30/32 started in January 1986.

The easiest way to visually ID this jet as a block 25 F-16C is the fact that it lacks the scoop on the leading edge of the fin base..no ASPJ either on the fin base.

So the changes to make the block 50 kit into this block 25:

Smallmouth NSI Intake

Pratt 200/220 exhaust 

lightweight gear and doors

wing root stiffeners

Only 2 fingers on the LEF inboard attach hinges

nose gear scissor link is narrower

If you use the Aires main wheel bay, the battery has since been changed (look for photos of the red one)

no aft facing scoop below the cockpit right side

should be only one ALE-40 chaff/flare dispenser per side

late missile rails are good for stations 1/2/8/9

landing/taxi lights moved to nose gear door; so your ok there 

Not sure on the seat pitot probes- would need to see a pic of the cockpit for this particular jet..should be ok with the fixed probes

main wheels are different with the lightweight gear

thats the big stuff, and will get you 99% there 

cheers

P

49 minutes ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

83-0159 is a block 25. Production of the block 30/32 started in January 1986.

The easiest way to visually ID this jet as a block 25 F-16C is the fact that it lacks the scoop on the leading edge of the fin base..no ASPJ either on the fin base.

So the changes to make the block 50 kit into this block 25:

Smallmouth NSI Intake

Pratt 200/220 exhaust 

lightweight gear and doors

wing root stiffeners

Only 2 fingers on the LEF inboard attach hinges

nose gear scissor link is narrower

If you use the Aires main wheel bay, the battery has since been changed (look for photos of the red one)

no aft facing scoop below the cockpit right side

should be only one ALE-40 chaff/flare dispenser per side

late missile rails are good for stations 1/2/8/9

landing/taxi lights moved to nose gear door; so your ok there 

Not sure on the seat pitot probes- would need to see a pic of the cockpit for this particular jet..should be ok with the fixed probes

main wheels are different with the lightweight gear

thats the big stuff, and will get you 99% there 

cheers

P

Thanks Pete. The seat pitot probes, are they the little bat ears that stick out the side of the seat at head level? 

Still tempted by the BDU one if I can get the decals for it. Can you run me a list for that one too? And If its not too much to ask, 86-0263 from the other TwoBobs sheets. Keeping all my options open that way. 

2 hours ago, ade rowlands said:

Thanks Pete. The seat pitot probes, are they the little bat ears that stick out the side of the seat at head level? 

Still tempted by the BDU one if I can get the decals for it. Can you run me a list for that one too? And If its not too much to ask, 86-0263 from the other TwoBobs sheets. Keeping all my options open that way. 

80-159 has the fixed seat pitot probes

Cbhu9r.jpg

Step 2 through to step putting it all away in the stash has been completed. I’m going for the Blue Splinter scheme as I just cant find the decals for the BDU splinter. Intake, lightweight gear doors and lightweight gear has been ordered from BNA model world who carry the KASL stuff (would have bought direct from KASL but BNA had some other stuff in stock I want and postage is reasonable). Tamiya Block 50 Kit on the way as are the Crossdelta fuselage plates. Reskit wheels and exhaust ordered direct from Reskit with several other sets for other stashed kits. Funds very much depleted. So you can now fully expect Tamiya to release a full on 1/32 version of the 1/48 Aggressor all in one kit. 

4 minutes ago, zerosystem said:

One of these? 

http://advmodprds.com/f1632.html

Some of Jim's sets include decals. 

Yes. I have Jim working on some custom masks for another couple of kits. He doesn't do decals for the BDU scheme. I'll be getting the masks for the BDU in the hope I can source the decals for it and for the Blue Splinter scheme which I'll get the decals for now whilst they are available. This project is a long way off from being started so maybe someone will release more Aggressor decals in the meantime. 

On 8/5/2022 at 3:19 PM, ade rowlands said:

Step 2 through to step putting it all away in the stash has been completed. I’m going for the Blue Splinter scheme as I just cant find the decals for the BDU splinter. Intake, lightweight gear doors and lightweight gear has been ordered from BNA model world who carry the KASL stuff (would have bought direct from KASL but BNA had some other stuff in stock I want and postage is reasonable). Tamiya Block 50 Kit on the way as are the Crossdelta fuselage plates. Reskit wheels and exhaust ordered direct from Reskit with several other sets for other stashed kits. Funds very much depleted. So you can now fully expect Tamiya to release a full on 1/32 version of the 1/48 Aggressor all in one kit. 

Another one for me to buy then? :rofl: