Question on F-16 Block 25 or Block 30 Aggressor from Tamiya Block 50 kit

ade rowlands

Looking towards getting this kit or using the one in the stash that is earmarked for something else, I’d like to do a Nellis Block 25 Aggressor in the Blue Splinter Scheme (probably 83-0159) and have come up with what I think I need to get hold of seeing as the Thunderbirds kit is not available or if available would cost me both Kidneys which I sort of need to keep though I don’t think I’d raise much from their sale as they are prone to throwing out a stone every now and again. 

Tamiya Block 50 Kit

KASL NSI Inlet.

KASL Lightweight Gear Legs.

KASL Lightweight gear doors.

Reskit Block 25/32 wheels.

Crossdelta Reinforcement plates.

Decals.

I am not sure on missile rails for the wingtips, if they are using the early type which Kopecky Scale Models sell or did they upgrade to the later style. I believe the landing lights have been moved to the gear doors now too.

Thanks.

Edited by ade rowlands

• ade rowlands changed the title to Question on F-16 Block 25 or Block 30 Aggressor from Tamiya Block 50 kit.

Have edited the title to now include a Block 30. Would I need everything from the list in my first post minus the intake? I know that blocks ending 0 usually have the larger MCID intake and not the NSI, may have got that the wrong way around too, but really not sure with jets of that vintage. There’s 2 Twobobs sets available on Hannants, one for the Blue Splinter and one for the Black and White Splinter. I’ve not got on very well with Microscale printed sheets in the past but I’m using different gloss and matt coats to what I used to use so willing to roll the dice, especially since I cant find any other aggressor sheets, everything is out of production bar the Procal Wraith sheet.

6 minutes ago, Juggernut said:

If you haven't already found it, have a gander at this site: F-16.net.  This site has loads of information and you can probably find answers to a lot of your questions there.

Thanks. I did read through that earlier that’s where I got a bit confused with earlier blocks and what intakes they had because some of the early ones could have either of them is how I read it, not as straight forward as anything ending 0 having one intake to correspond to its engine type and those ending 2 would be the other option way back in early C production. 

According to the site, the F-16C prior to serial number 86-0262 have the NSI (small-mouth) intakes.  The "common engine bay" was an attempt to use both engines interchangeably but due to the increased airflow needed by the F110 engine, it wasn't possible.  So, Block 30 aircraft prior to 86-0262 have the NSI intake and the GE F110 engine.  Serial 86-0262 and subsequent Block 30, 40, 50 (F-16C/D)... have the MCID intake with the GE F110 engine and Block 32, 42, 52 (F-16C/D),.... have the small NSI intake with the P&W F100 Engine.

Edited by Juggernut

9 minutes ago, Juggernut said:

According to the site, the F-16C prior to serial number 86-0262 have the NSI (small-mouth) intakes.  86-0262 and subsequent Block 30, 40, 50 (F-16C/D)... have the MCID intake with the GE F110 engine and Block 32, 42, 52 (F-16C/D),.... have the small NSI intake with the P&W F100 Engine.

That’s what I read too. Then my brain just went blaaaaaaaaaaah and pretty much quit on me. Let’s blame working night shifts. 

3 minutes ago, ade rowlands said:

That’s what I read too. Then my brain just went blaaaaaaaaaaah and pretty much quit on me. Let’s blame working night shifts. 

Oh boy, I can relate to that....but I don't have the excuse of working nights.

• LSP_K2 changed the title to Question on F-16 Block 25 or Block 30 Aggressor from Tamiya Block 50 kit
4 hours ago, ade rowlands said:

Thanks, I had forgot that element.

Be aware though that the aft end of the fuselage needs to be different too for the P&W engines. Unfortunately that is not included in the F-16CJ kit but only in the coveted Thunderbirds kit. It is also not (strangely enough) included in the Reskit exhaust set? - You could get the magnificent KASL P&W exhaust which includes the entire thing however the shape of the panels underneath seems to be too angled. The other option is to get the conversion set from GT Resin. It is still available via Spruebrothers. I have not used that myself so I cannot speak to its accuracy.

While you are at it - make sure to get the Aires Wheelbay. It is not too expensive and one of the best resin aftermarket items I have ever seen. It falls right into place as well with no modifications at all.

Have fun

Niels

8 hours ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

Show me a pic of the jet you want to build and I’ll tell you what you need.

cheers

Pete

Was hoping you would chime in. Not to take away from anybody else’s knowledge, appreciate all input.

Using the decals that are available to me at this point in time, both TwoBobs sheets I’m looking at doing either 83-0159 in the Nellis Splinter Blue (Block 32 according to decals but F-16.net say Block 25) or 86-0263 in Eilson Splinter Black/White (Block 30). Don’t think anyone has done decals for the BDU style Splinter in our scale 86-0295 (Block 30).

I think I need to shave the vent off the fuselage side, or not glue it in place, and shave some vents/inlets off the base of the vertical stabiliser.

Let’s hope Jake does a sheet at some point or Bullseye upscale their excellent 1/48 offering. I think odds are long on both. Even longer on Tamiya San releasing an all in one boxing like they do in 1/48. I did have that kit and the Bullseye sheet but my big old sausage fingers didn’t like the teeny tiny parts.