Accurate Miniatures SB2U-3 Vindicator (1/48)

denders

This is the original release of this kit.

I have a 3D model of the Vindicator that I started several years ago and I was going to get back to it. I've used this kit along with numerous books and drawings (Ginter, Squadron 1122, Aircraft Pictorial #2, online photos, photos from NNAM that I took, and stuff from Avialogs.) I thought building this kit might get me started again.

ycaxN4.jpg

As if I don't have enough going already. :mental:

Dave

Update. Wings and tail surfaces.

TzaVbB.jpg

A warning for those who have one, when you get to building it. The engine cowling pieces came off the tree a little wonky. I had to "shorten" one of the cowling pieces to get them to match the front of the cowling ring. Also, the one opening for the engine exhaust isn't shaped correctly. This is not the side that I made the adjustment. Otherwise, the shape of the opening would have been worse.

PxmGsv.jpgXryCib.jpg

Well, the engine and cowling are in place. I found that I needed to sand down the cylinder valve covers to get the cowling on. I also managed to pop one of the cowling seams (the one in the photo) while doing the fitting and I knocked off the RDF Loop too. Fortunately, the loop is large enough to be seen. :D

yudkbv.jpg

Onward!

Okay, it's getting there. This is a frame from Ford's video on Midway when these aircraft launched to attack the Japanese aircraft carriers. I don't recall where I got the picture file. There are several others too. I chose not to do one of the aircraft that were taped up. You can see where the red/white tail stripes have been freshly painted over. There is a decal for the rudder that better represents the painted over stripes. Perhaps I'll use that. We'll see. The fuselage insignia on this aircraft is much larger than the other aircraft in some of the other video frames. The underwing insignia also seem larger. I had to fish out the fuselage insignia and a more appropriate "2" from my decal stash. The kit decal fuselage insignia are too small and the "2" is too large.

1uqarJ.jpg

JSYkjw.jpg