Build #3 for 2022: A knocked out Sherman Firefly in Holland

ChuckD

Here is build number 3 of (hopefully) 8 kits for 2022.  I've wanted to do a knocked out/burned up tank for quite a long time, but never had the gumption to try it.  While looking around for reference photos for my Firefly kit, I found the historical reference photo and decided to give it a go.  I wasn't able to find much info on this pic, nor much more about the tank itself, so I didn't shoot for a true 1:1 recreation of the scene.  Instead, I opted to simply say that my vignette was/is inspired by the pic.  

The kit is the RFM Firefly and went together really well.  The tracks were a bit of a pain because there are no extra parts included and several of my sprues were damaged in shipping, so I had to buy another set of RFM tracks to complete it (conspiracy theorists, eat your hearts out).  The figure had most of his limbs custom sculpted.  The broad leaf plants were made on my mask cutter and the wiry ones were made with speaker wire.

The battle damage was done almost exclusively with dry pigments of varying shades.  It was a fun project and I'd definitely do something like this again.

Firefly-Final-01.jpg

Firefly-Final-02.jpg

Firefly-Final-03.jpg

Firefly-Final-04.jpg

Firefly-Final-05.jpg

Firefly-Final-06.jpg

Firefly-Final-07.jpg

Firefly-Final-08.jpg

Firefly-Final-09.jpg

Firefly-Final-10.jpg

Firefly-Final-11.jpg

Firefly-Final-12.jpg

Firefly-Final-13.jpg

Firefly-Final-14.jpg

Firefly-Final-15.jpg

Firefly-Final-16.jpg

A great diorama and one that really tells a story. I wonder if the crew got out in time? Even on a theoretical level, it tells us something about the true horrors of war.

I'm reading "Brothers In Arms" by James Holland right now. The very long list of young men who were killed or badly-injured in their prime is utterly horrifying. The British regiment who fought their way across Europe deserve great respect, as do all the Allied troops who struggled against huge odds and an often fanatical enemy. 

Thanks for sharing with us.

Chris.    

Edited by Confusionreigns178
Amending some information.