SAAB JA37 Viggen, Jetmads 1/32

Aigore

Across the line...

Well finally the beastie is finished! it was an epic build and my first all resin kit.

Jetmads did a piece of wonder there even though it shows that they still have kinks to work out. For a resin kit it was humanely priced at $190 for a preorder.

They kept the price down with using 3D printing technology and that was a mixed blessing. Even though it got cheaper it demanded more work to remove printlines, I suppose you have to reach compromise of speed and resolution when you have to fill hundreds of orders. Though I think they could have done things a bit better by aligning the parts as to minimize the printlines. 

For example the cockpit and it's parts suffers greatly from printlines and they are hard to remove. It was actually so bad that the printlines in many cases ruined the fantastic details they put into the model.

I found that the best way to remove lines was to brutally scrape with scraping tool or knife. This meant in turn that details on the fuselage had to be removed to asure the best surface treatment.

The hardest part was the joining of the fuselage and main wings, it ate lots of putty and was hindered by the hot air exhausts on the fuselage as they were always in the way and got damaged in the blending process. They would have benefitted from being separate parts.

The next thing I didn't like that much was the decals, The big sheets were good quality and printed by Cartograf, though they skipped a lot of stencils! As a nerd I frown upon such short cuts! But the air wing insignias were terible, I had a friend print new ones for me that truly made them justice.

The resin pitot tubes and probes was another headache...they snapped as fast I looked at them, I finally managed to replace them with brass from Masters 1/32 Gripen set

It sounds like I bash Jetmads but I don't really, their product is fantastic and with a wee bit of extra tinkering it would be absolutely, incredebly awesome!

My suggestions for improvement is as follows:

New instruments, preferably 3D printed acrylic ones like Red Fox or Quickboost.

Metal parts for pitot tubes and probes

And add the fuselage hot air exhausts as separate parts instead of molded on to the fuselage.

Improve the decal sheet

These are the big things....all the small things you just have to deal with as a model builder :P

Finally, I truly enjoyed the build and I learnt a lot about working in this media and in the end I got pretty close to what I wanted to achieve....
This is NOT my last Gigant Viggen! 

DSC_5701(1).jpg

DSC_5703(1).jpg

DSC_5705(1).jpg

DSC_5707(1).jpg

DSC_5709(1).jpg

DSC_5711(1).jpg

DSC_5714(1).jpg

DSC_5716(1).jpg

DSC_5718(1).jpg

DSC_5720(1).jpg

DSC_5723(1).jpg

DSC_5725(1).jpg

DSC_5728(1).jpg

DSC_5730(1).jpg

DSC_5732(1).jpg

DSC_5734(1).jpg

DSC_5736(1).jpg

DSC_5738(1).jpg

DSC_5740(1).jpg

DSC_5743(1).jpg

DSC_5746(1).jpg

DSC_5748(1).jpg

DSC_5750(1).jpg

DSC_5752(1).jpg

DSC_5753(1).jpg

DSC_5754(1).jpg

DSC_5756(1).jpg

DSC_5757(1).jpg

DSC_5758(1).jpg

DSC_5760(1).jpg

DSC_5761(1).jpg

DSC_5762(1).jpg

DSC_5763(1).jpg

DSC_5764(1).jpg

DSC_5765(1).jpg

DSC_5766(1).jpg

DSC_5768(1).jpg

DSC_5769(1).jpg

DSC_5770(1).jpg

DSC_5772(1).jpg

DSC_5773(1).jpg

DSC_5774(1).jpg

DSC_5775(1).jpg

Cheers and thanks for all the support during the build!

3 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

The Viggen is a lot like the Foxbat and Foxhound. It doesn't matter the scale, the plane always looks heavy and purposeful.  Beautiful build of the kit, great paint job

Matt 

Thanks Matt :D

indeed, Viggen is much smaller than it looks and feels :)