Who has Sold and Shipped Built LSP's... or Other Completed Models?

Gazzas

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

•     My 109 arrived in Perth today.  Apparently a wheel was broken off.  I expected the open canopy and or the aerial to go.  I may have to add to the framework displayed in the video.  Perhaps underlying it in a layer of foam to take some of the shock.  Really bummed that a part broke.

Based on Brian's recent experience alone, I don't think I'll be planning to sell or ship any of my completed models anywhere. In fact, I've only ever done it once, and broke the model several times just trying to pack it safely. I cancelled the sale and let the disappointed buyer know. Eventually, I gave the model in question to a friend.

Kev

When I used to do the show circuit in the UK it was always a lottery transporting the kits, I think I was quite lucky. However there was one member of the club who was a very accomplished modeller who could show the circle of life of a kit - Make/Complete/disassemble in one fowl swoop. He’d always turn up with a box of bits and spend the show repairing it:lol:. With regards postal/courier shipping, I’ve sold some on eBay and they have gone mainly to mainland Europe with a variety of success. Aerials being the weakest part. I used to pop into my works stores department and use their packing facilities and use the eBay courier service with a disclaimer in the sales script. Never had any come back though as the buyers were pragmatic about what they purchased…….

On 9/5/2022 at 8:25 PM, Gazzas said:

Hey everyone,

•     My 109 arrived in Perth today.  Apparently a wheel was broken off.  I expected the open canopy and or the aerial to go.  I may have to add to the framework displayed in the video.  Perhaps underlying it in a layer of foam to take some of the shock.  Really bummed that a part broke.

A question: did you double box this? I received a 1/48 built kit a while back that was packed using the same framework method you employed. The seller then placed it in a second box and surrounded it with packing peanuts. I'm happy to report the kit arrived 100% intact. B)

On 9/9/2022 at 8:18 AM, coogrfan said:

A question: did you double box this? I received a 1/48 built kit a while back that was packed using the same framework method you employed. The seller then placed it in a second box and surrounded it with packing peanuts. I'm happy to report the kit arrived 100% intact. B)

No, I didn't double box it.  The framework was pretty big, and an out box would have made it huge.  I Added vertical supports to keep the top from collapsing downward.  But in retrospect I have considered gluing spongy foam to the bottom of the framwork and to the top of the upper box supports to make it a softer ride for the model.  I didn't ask a lot for the model.  So I didn't want to go too bonkers with the packaging.

On 9/6/2022 at 12:53 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

Based on Brian's recent experience alone, I don't think I'll be planning to sell or ship any of my completed models anywhere. In fact, I've only ever done it once, and broke the model several times just trying to pack it safely. I cancelled the sale and let the disappointed buyer know. Eventually, I gave the model in question to a friend.

Kev

I want to sell more.  I like the idea of somebody enjoying them instead of me chucking them into the bin.  But I don't think I would ever ask so much that I would have to fear paying the buyer back. 

The rubber bands and foam work really well.  I broke the antenna off my 109F just packing it for QMHE.  I found the best thing to do is to move your hands slower, the closer you are to the model.  Packing it to come home from QMHE and then repacking it for sale gave me a little more practice.

My mistake got me, and prior to that I was at a 100% success rate with shipping LSPs. That was 3 or 4 to Kitty Hawk (VA) and another 4 or 5 to various buyers and collectors who specified commission builds across the continental US. 

That mistake was not double boxing with an exterior box taking the transfer of shock that the boxes inevitably take during transport from the model to the surrounding foam and or peanuts. The B-25 was just SO huge it was tough even to find a box big enough to give that shock support to the enormous inner box.

I too would like to sell some more stuff. As they say failure is in fact the best teacher and I'm not insane, so Ill be changing up how I pack the inner box, and NEVER shipping without an exterior shock box again. This also likely means not shipping anything B-25 sized again either. 

I once saw a model packed with the rubber band method but without the foam.

The rubber bands were thick and they were attached to the box with pieces of

dowel on the outside of the box. The model just bounced up and down but touched

nothing but the rubber bands at points that were padded with pieces of foam sheet.

Multiple bands were linked together so the tension was adjustable by the number

of bands linked. Vertical and horizontal blocks of styrofoam were used (like in Gary's

example) to help stabilize the box itself and I think it was double boxed as well.

Was said to have arrived unbroken.

12 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

My mistake got me, and prior to that I was at a 100% success rate with shipping LSPs. That was 3 or 4 to Kitty Hawk (VA) and another 4 or 5 to various buyers and collectors who specified commission builds across the continental US. 

That mistake was not double boxing with an exterior box taking the transfer of shock that the boxes inevitably take during transport from the model to the surrounding foam and or peanuts. The B-25 was just SO huge it was tough even to find a box big enough to give that shock support to the enormous inner box.

I too would like to sell some more stuff. As they say failure is in fact the best teacher and I'm not insane, so Ill be changing up how I pack the inner box, and NEVER shipping without an exterior shock box again. This also likely means not shipping anything B-25 sized again either. 

Hi Brian,

Do you think that if all of your supporting framework was built on a layer of foam, and supported by foam at all the ends and the top, that it would function as well as a double box?

3 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

I once saw a model packed with the rubber band method but without the foam.

The rubber bands were thick and they were attached to the box with pieces of

dowel on the outside of the box. The model just bounced up and down but touched

nothing but the rubber bands at points that were padded with pieces of foam sheet.

Multiple bands were linked together so the tension was adjustable by the number

of bands linked. Vertical and horizontal blocks of styrofoam were used (like in Gary's

example) to help stabilize the box itself and I think it was double boxed as well.

Was said to have arrived unbroken.

This is an interesting idea.  I'd be afraid of it bouncing too much and hitting a side of the box.

Unfortunately that method in the video isn't the best way to ship build models. You are asking for it to be damaged and heartache! I just shipped to WNW from NZ to Isle of Man and they arrived in fully intact all I used was plastic shopping bags and a plastic tub.

The issue with method in the video is that any impact to the carton is transferred through all the foam into the model itself. The model is the weakest point and absorbs the force and brakes.

I've posted images over on my Instagram and Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/Davesmodelsnz/) how I did it. I will try to copy over later on, I am just posting off phone so its not really user friendly to do so at the moment.

15 hours ago, Dave J said:

Unfortunately that method in the video isn't the best way to ship build models. You are asking for it to be damaged and heartache! I just shipped to WNW from NZ to Isle of Man and they arrived in fully intact all I used was plastic shopping bags and a plastic tub.

The issue with method in the video is that any impact to the carton is transferred through all the foam into the model itself. The model is the weakest point and absorbs the force and brakes.

I've posted images over on my Instagram and Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/Davesmodelsnz/) how I did it. I will try to copy over later on, I am just posting off phone so its not really user friendly to do so at the moment.

WNW kits don’t have aerials and pitot tubes.  Not to mention hanging ordinance or hinged canopies.  The frame definitely protects those parts.  So I can see your point, but it’s certainly not a case of one-size-fits-all.  Combining the two methods should work….  But nothing is truly safe in the hands of postal workers.

Two built WnW kits, 32013 Sopwith Pup and 32073 Sopwith Dolphin arrived in Isle of Man from Wellington, New Zealand last week (9/9/22). Both models were built by a former WnW employee and very experienced WnW modeller, with long experience of shipping built WnW models.

I counted a minimum of eight handling points enroute to my door via tracking.

Each model was enclosed in its own large plastic bag to ensure capture of anything adrift in transit. Each bagged model was contained within its own big enough Tupperware type container cushioned internally all round with screwed up plastic bags to restrict and cushion model movement. Both lidded, plastic containers, appropriately cushioned above, below and around with closed cell polystyrene sheet and block, were shipped in a cardboard box 600 mm x 500 mm x 200 mm; shipping weight 2.6 kg.

On arrival, 32073 required minimal remedial attention; 32013 had popped most of its top wing strut joints, rudder, horizontal stabiliser and starboard lower aileron. Aileron and rudder  connections were not metal augmented; rigging was elastic line, two connections had popped; no cord-wise rigging between port and starboard outer wing struts was fitted.

Can LSPs fly? Yes they can. Do they make final wheels down intact? One did, one did not, in the exact same packaging. Fixable? Yes. Recommended? No, D-I-Y is far more fun, less hassle and much less cost.

Chris