Jump to content

Infinity Vampire in Stock at Sprue Brothers


Juggernut
 Share

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

dragged down my builders kit of the Venom - probably started it about forty years ago before I discovered the delights of going out - from the attic, hopefully it'll allow me to produce something like...

Always nice to see an optimist :).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/28/2022 at 4:40 PM, Kagemusha said:

 

Received my email, order placed with a few other goodies, dragged down my builders kit of the Venom - probably started it about forty years ago before I discovered the delights of going out - from the attic, hopefully it'll allow me to produce something like...

 

de_havilland_vampire_t_11_by_daniel_wale

 

Very exciting.

Are you thinking of grafting the Venom nose to the Vampire kit?

 

Alain?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Alain Gadbois said:

Are you thinking of grafting the Venom nose to the Vampire kit?

 

Alain?

 

Not all of it, the front end will require scratch building, the mid and lower fuselage definitely.

 

Received the kit a couple of hours ago, I like it, might buy another...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s not a bad kit. Identical parts in both boxings and a resin compressor fan that’s not mentioned in the instructions! 
The one thing that got me was the nav light clear plastic split horizontally- and then I realised the plastic on the real thing is coloured !! Phew!!

is the control column grip right - oval? I’ll have to check the references but I thought it would be round-ish ? It’s a pity that you don’t get bulged main gear wheels though!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

 

Not all of it, the front end will require scratch building, the mid and lower fuselage definitely.

 

Received the kit a couple of hours ago, I like it, might buy another...

It’s doable for sure.

It could pass as the same in a model, but I think the T11 cockpit opening is a bit wider than the night fighter.

Check the tail plane differences and the main wheels have multiple small ribs, compared to the 3 large openings of the kit parts.

 

Alain

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, SimonCornes said:

Is the control column grip right - oval? I’ll have to check the references but I thought it would be round-ish

My memory tells me it was round, not unlike a Spitfire's stick.  My old Air Cadet squadron had VV217 on charge in the 1970s, so I frequently had the opportunity to get up close and personal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Alain Gadbois said:

It’s doable for sure.

It could pass as the same in a model, but I think the T11 cockpit opening is a bit wider than the night fighter.

Check the tail plane differences and the main wheels have multiple small ribs, compared to the 3 large openings of the kit parts.

 

Alain

 

Thanks for the info on the wheels, the Venom fuselage is certainly wider than the Vampire's, just plonking the Sea Venom cockpit onto of the Vampire fuselage looks like it's the correct size - the cockpit fairing is different on both aircraft.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

 

Thanks for the info on the wheels, the Venom fuselage is certainly wider than the Vampire's, just plonking the Sea Venom cockpit onto of the Vampire fuselage looks like it's the correct size - the cockpit fairing is different on both aircraft.

The firewall of the Vampire and Venom are of identical dimensions. The single seaters share an essentially identical forward fuselage.

The Venom has a bulged engine cowl because of the wider Ghost compared to the Goblin engine.

So, if both kits have correct scaled down dimensions, switching forward fuselages should be possible and not too difficult. Although there are many other details to take care of, of course, 

some I mentioned above.

 

Alain

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/31/2022 at 3:32 AM, Alain Gadbois said:

It’s doable for sure.

It could pass as the same in a model, but I think the T11 cockpit opening is a bit wider than the night fighter.

Check the tail plane differences and the main wheels have multiple small ribs, compared to the 3 large openings of the kit parts.

 

Alain

The Infinity kit has both the 3 slot or multi finned wheel centres

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/31/2022 at 6:02 AM, MikeC said:

My memory tells me it was round, not unlike a Spitfire's stick.  My old Air Cadet squadron had VV217 on charge in the 1970s, so I frequently had the opportunity to get up close and personal.

I found a photo of the panel and stick and it is 'kind of' oval with the cannon button in the usual place and of course the brake lever on the side nearest the panel, like a Spit - and I don't think provided. But it still doesn't look quite right to me. But will it be noticeable? I wish they'd do the etch in nickel silver (like HGW) then you wouldn't have to paint all the strap fittings! I think I'd prefer lead foil with those fittings to make up a seat harness though but thats up to me! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My Mk.3 came yesterday (Mk.5 too) and typical for me I had to see what the fit was like.  I dropped other projects for a morning and I cleaned up the Mk.3 staring with the external parts. The clean up is painful in a few areas. The runners attach to the parts inside of attachment flanges. The intakes on the leading edge of the wing and the intake tube are a challenge. The order of assembly should help this along. The nose fit is rough on sides and front.  I bucked the instructions and assembled the top and bottom wings and then attached these to the fuselage.  There is too much play to get a good tape up. I will do the real deal and follow the top and bottom assembly method.  The many “extra” rivets seem problematic.  After all this I am still glad I bought both of the kits.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...