What do you mean: lots of traffic on final????....nah, that's normal this time of year........

5 hours ago, MARU5137 said:

Maybe they can wave to each other and chat whilst waiting around in the skies, like you do on highways !!

:wicked:

Once in the conga line, everybody’s head is on a swivel, there’s a lot of pointing and gesturing but very little waving and the conversation in the airplane is loud and mostly related to the other guy’s parentage.

Air Venture is certainly something every aviation enthusiast regardless of country should see in their lifetime if at all possible. It is a spectacle for sure.  The last EAA-AV we went to was 2015, and it was spectacular. Im sorry to hear about Toms passing. He had a stellar reputation.

It was hot AF when we went in 2015, and "under-wing" space is primo for the late and afternoon shows.  The DC-3 usually provides well if you can get there early enough.  Those people are going to FRY this year unfortunately.

5 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

It was hot AF when we went in 2015, and "under-wing" space is primo for the late and afternoon shows.  The DC-3 usually provides well if you can get there early enough.  Those people are going to FRY this year unfortunately.

I was under the tail of a C-141 most of the time and it was still hot AF.  Had a room on the leeward side of the local college/uni and it was hot AF.  Had to use the port a johns the whole time and they were hot AF.  Thanked the USAF every morning for sending me there in my puddle jumper.

On 7/27/2022 at 12:48 AM, Oldbaldguy said:

I was under the tail of a C-141 most of the time and it was still hot AF.  Had a room on the leeward side of the local college/uni and it was hot AF.  Had to use the port a johns the whole time and they were hot AF.  Thanked the USAF every morning for sending me there in my puddle jumper.

Yep been there, done that, several years in sequence, and "always SURVIVED oshkosh"...........:coolio:

On 7/25/2022 at 5:40 PM, Oldbaldguy said:

Been there and done it.  It gets a might intense at times but well worth the pucker factor required to get in and then back out later without bending something.

+1 Flew in for the first time last year, what an experience!  I knew it would be intense but I was still shocked by all of that metal in the sky.  The seemingly archaic system they use to get everyone lined up and down safely is amazingly efficient.

38 minutes ago, Daywalker said:

+1 Flew in for the first time last year, what an experience!  I knew it would be intense but I was still shocked by all of that metal in the sky.  The seemingly archaic system they use to get everyone lined up and down safely is amazingly efficient.

Yep.  I agree.  But there are a couple of things about the arrivals that bug the heck out of me:  We’re seeing more and more controllers on the ground who don’t know one airplane from another, who know nothing about their differences in performance and who don’t know/care that what they are asking for may be close to the limits of what a lowish-time pilot and airplane can do.  Secondly, an awful lot of the arrivals don’t seem to realize where they are and are happy to fly the same slow, full flaps take-all-day approach at OSH as they do at their home airport where they have all the time in the world to work things out in snail time without giving a second thought about who or what is stacking up behind them just a couple of knots above stall.  Okay - three things:  Thirdly, the military jets arriving that are flown by 20 year olds who just HAVE to make five or six burner passes before landing.  I don’t think they realize that everything stops when they do that.  All those hundreds of airplanes inbound nose to tail from Fisk suddenly are stacked up with nowhere to go while the jets are having a good time.  Lacking the ability to hover in place, the inbound planes are diverted or have to do 360s and the line backs up to somewhere in Kansas which adds even more stress.  Seems like the EAA, the FAA and the fly-in airplanes have forgotten previous lessons learned and are stuck in the “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” mode because it didn’t used to be that way.

Shame.  That was/is a nicely restored old 180.  Note the flames from the magnesium wheel grinding itself into nothing on the runway.  The guy might have been able to ferry it home after a little work - he didn’t get the prop, so the motor and prop are okay and he likely could source a wheel, tire and tube at OSH.  Big questions would be the right wing spar and attach points, the right gear leg and gear box, and the right horizontal stab tip and elevator.   That’s a one-piece stabilzer with a jack screw for trim; the elevator is two pieces and is pretty common so it is possible he could have gotten a serviceable right side at OSH as well if he needed it.  However, ferrying a broke airplane a long distance is not for the faint of heart.  The 310 is almost certainly a write-off.  Like I said, it’s a shame - both looked to be nice, well cared for airplanes and probably a long way from home.