A few Springbank (Calgary) Air Show pics.....

38 minutes ago, Oldbaldguy said:

I’ve always held the opinion - based on experience - that the Snowbird’s show is very relaxing and great fun compared to the brute force and noise associated with American demo teams.  It’s much like watching MG Midgets on a road course after attending an NHRA drag race.  When the Snowbirds were last at my home drome, we spectators were fairly close so I got to see their “pregame show” up close and personal.  It was delightful.  At the appointed time, they wandered out to their airplanes, climbed aboard, checked whatever they checked, then the boss said, and I quote, “Okay, light’em up.”  Then a bit later, “Lights on.  Check smoke.  Let’s go.”  And then they put on a most elegant demo, replete with a bird strike and a mechanical issue.  Both airplanes RTBed and at the end of the day one of their maintenance guys was seen pounding away with a hammer trying to undent whatever it was the poor bird had dented  - it was as simple as that.  The whole evolution was grand, more like a large family picnic than a military jet team demo.   And I gotta tell you, Chuck, you are as skillful with a camera as you are with plastic.  These are some really nice pix, lack of a long lens be damned.

Thank you sir!  The Snowbirds are quite different than other demo teams and the music played during their demonstration is more likely to be symphonic than rock and roll.  I still love the "brute force and noise" shows of the Thunderbirds and Blue Angels, but the Snowbirds are more "elegant", for lack of a better word.

Cheers,

Chuck

I have an old school mate and a relative who flew CT-114's (Tudors) for the Snowbirds. I recall years ago talking to a pilot at the Abbotsford airshow who showed me that the CT-114s have a luggage compartment accessed from the outside which you'd just throw in your backpack or suitcase and. a six pack when doing the airshow circuit - like the trunk in a car. it's like the VW bug or the Honda Civic of the air trainer world!