non slip walkway on Tempest ??

Hi gents

a question : what were the non slip walkways on  WW2 RAF  fighters ( and not just )  made of ???? I suppose it was a kind of rubber !!??? riveted or glued on top of the wing root ???!!!!

we can often see this "walkway " just painted on models.. for my part I plan to represent this walkway with a bit of tamyia tape ...what do you thing about it :hmmm:thanks

Alain 

I have used this

https://www.migjimenez.com/en/accessories/1937-anti-slip-paste-black-color-for-172-148.html

I used a small piece of sponge to apply it lightly and i also light sand it for the scale, to reduce the roughness!! It is a very good product in my opinion and with a small practice you can achive the outcome you want!! 

Dont use tamiya tape!!! 

John

Edited by zaxos345

I found 1/2" black masking tape that looks pretty good as it has a texture to it like wing walk... When I used to paint actual aircraft you could buy the wing walk in a roll that had a adhesive backing or I have also sprayed it on as well...

Mike

Hello Alain,

Here’s how I made the walkway on my GWH Tomahawk.

Excerpt from the WIP thread:

“Walkways were often found on RAF and AVG Hawks. They were made from a strip of linoleum (a popular floor covering that old timers remember from their childhood days) glued to the wing and secured by a riveted strip of aluminium to keep the lino from fraying.

Mine are made from the tin sheet covering the neck of a (carefully emptied) wine bottle.
DC4320-AA-56-C6-4-CDE-B0-B3-1-A206996792

Rivets added and under a coat of primer

474235-BE-84-A4-42-F7-A749-9-E75445-AAEC

Painted

D7-C0-F4-F8-C9-C1-4-A74-AA72-F05-E68-FF3

HTH

Cheers,

Quang

Edited by quang
Adding photo

a question : what were the non slip walkways on  WW2 RAF  fighters ( and not just )  made of ???? I suppose it was a kind of rubber !!??? riveted or glued on top of the wing root ???!!!!

several method were applied
- smooth paint , P39, P51, T-6, Typhoon, Tempest...
- carborundum 36 grit  on "Black Walkway Cement" coat  on F4U, these walkway decrease the max speed 6mph, Curtiss use 30 grit (H75/P36)
- rubber sheet bonded (Wondergrip 0,7 mm thick); Typhoon early, D520, MS 406, MB 151/152, Hurricane
- linoleum sheet  1/16" thick(Armstrong Aeroflor) bonded with formica cement, P 36, H 75A1 & up, P 40....the edges are secured by metal strips screwed into the nuts riveted on the skin
- carborundum cloth bonded, T-6

Edited by waroff

Hi gents

thanks a lot for your feedback ,and "sharp" explanation ... Well we have several ways to represent this walkway , all are convincing :thumbsup: ...I thing that the Mig 's product , is very nice for current AC ( I keep it in my mind ) ....Quang :  , I like the riveted strip ,  nice effect !!! ... Mike : the thin sandpaper , is a good idea  !!! ..in any cases , thanks you guys for the tips 

Alain