HB B-24D, 90th Bomb Group "Jolly Rogers"

TimW

Yeah...here I go again.  I had so many frustrations a couple of years ago doing a J, and then the Hobby Room Fire of 2020 melted it...

Been awhile since I could plunge back into B-24 land, but here goes.  I have assorted Eduard, Brassin and Resin2Detail bits (plus some scratch building.

Decals from DK decals with 6 different options.

The big challnege--just what did the jury rigged Ball Turret position look like and how do I model it?

According to the unit history, the turrets were removed in Hawaii and "replaced" with some sort of hand held mount.  Damned if I can find any pictures of it.

https://www.amazon.com/Wasnt-So-Jolly-Rogers-1942-1945/dp/0578850974

Any help appreciated.  Otherwise, stay tuned!

Tim W.

Oh, happy to have another B-24 build going on (I'm about to restart mine).

Here's the group page:  90th Bomb Group Main Menu

The San Diego Air & Space museum has a great Flickr page so you can search their archives. Here's all their 90th BG stuff: The 90th Bomb Group "The Jolly Rogers" Special Collection | Flickr

I'll post more as I think about where I've seen their stuff

-Peter

1 hour ago, brahman104 said:

Nice Tim! I'm looking forward to following this one. 

Is this the gun position you're talking about? (Hopefully the link works)

https://worldwar2database.com/gallery/wwii0005

Craig

Not that one I think. What I think the OP refers to are the "Hawaii Depot Mods". I know it involved a clear dome and twin 0.5" guns, but photos are very elusive, as I have found.

Edited by MikeC

Thanks everyone--and yes, this was a replacement for the Bendix retractable turret rather than the tunnel gun, which was similarly unpopular.

I've never seen any decent pictures of the ball turret replacement position, which reportedly had twin guns and wasn't all that effective.

Not sure if I'm going to kludge something up (absent decent source material) or just put the turret in anyway.   

It's all rather mysterious.

Cheers,

Tim W

This appears to be a picture of the replacement ball turret position.  Not sure how I'd scratch build that as it's still not terribly clear what the clear parts look like. 

I guess it's up to me...

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/alternate-b-24-belly-turret.34925/page-2

Edited by TimW

• 2 weeks later...

Progress.  A mixture of Eduard, Resin2Detail and scrap plastic/wiring etc.  This looks a lot like the work I did on the long, lost 24J a few years back, but being a D in the Pacific there will be some differences.   The smaller radio is an extra B-17 radio I had from somewhere with an Eduard face...much more to come, as soon as I can photograph it

A88aGha.jpg

ZslYRNk.jpg

bVovWoO.jpg

Waiting for some plastic card and items from Master Details...

Need to beef up the detail in the nose section, too.  Navigator's stuff and bombardier's control panels.  And added ammo boxes/feed chutes for the nose guns.