Paint issue

G'day folks..

A question or two for the airbrush experten here..

I sprayed some SMS paint on this model.  15psi, cleaned airbrush, everything good, or so I thought.  Thing is, I get this orange peel type finish in places.  Other places it's quite glossy.

What could be causing this, and how can I prevent it from happening again??

Note, I have rubbed certain areas back with 15000 grit..

qGLeIm9l.jpg

Considering that the air pressure and the dilution of the paint were constant during the session, the only explanation would be the reaction of the paint at the plastic surface.

Maybe you should wash the model with lukewarm water and a few drops of washing-up liquid and let the model dry thoroughly before making a second attempt.

9 hours ago, Cap'n Wannabe said:

Over primer.  Mr Surfacer 500, to be precise..

Since I'm pretty sure they don't make the 500 in a rattle can, I'll assume you thinned it for airbrushing. While I don't think it's necessarily relevant to your particular issue here, I would definitely get hold of some of the finer grades (1000, 1200, 1500), as they're much more suitable for airbrushing than the 500, which is really designed to be applied directly to imperfections with a brush. The thinning ratio required to get a good airbrushable mix is much less with the finer grades, and you'll end up with a better finish. But as I said, I don't think that necessarily has anything to do with the problem you're seeing here. If you haven't already, I'd hit Scott up on Facebook.

Kev

9 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Since I'm pretty sure they don't make the 500 in a rattle can, I'll assume you thinned it for airbrushing. While I don't think it's necessarily relevant to your particular issue here, I would definitely get hold of some of the finer grades (1000, 1200, 1500), as they're much more suitable for airbrushing than the 500, which is really designed to be applied directly to imperfections with a brush. The thinning ratio required to get a good airbrushable mix is much less with the finer grades, and you'll end up with a better finish. But as I said, I don't think that necessarily has anything to do with the problem you're seeing here. If you haven't already, I'd hit Scott up on Facebook.

Kev

Actually, it *is* available in rattle can...(but I just checked - it was actually 1000 I used!)

wxmkQTxl.jpg

Well how about that! I actually Googled it, and still couldn't find any. Perhaps they don't make it any more? In any case, contact Scott, as I reckon he'll have as good an idea bout what's going on as anybody.

Kev

Mr 500 rattle can was my go to as a base primer for mr 1200, but since surface primer 1500 I use car body primer.

My golden rule in all priming is give plenty time to dry I'm lucky enough to have a drying cabinet which all my primed parts are cured in just a few degrees over room temp not to fierce.

Mr S 500 still on sale

https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/100ml-mr-surfacer-500-mr-hobby-b-506-p16790/

Bob

Hi - my 2 cents worth says its water in your airline.

I don't thinks its primer - especially if its smoothly finished to start off with - prior to colour. 

Does your compressor have an watertrap/filter? 

if so, then its also possibly humidity in the air - maybe you painted on a very humid/rainy day?

Even a very windy day ( hot/dry or cold moist wind) and you are painting in the open and not sheltered - will give you orange-peel.

You'll be surprised how much this does effect painting quality - especially water-based acrylics.

Edited by Piprm