Fusion reactors, anybody ? :)

Martinnfb

Fusion...our 'get out of jail free card' according to Saul Griffith (an Aussie) who used to be CEO of Makani power (LA) before it was sold to Google.

He spoke to Brian Cox from the BBC in the doco, 'Can we make a star on earth' 2008/9 which was about the worlds various fusion projects. They did an interesting bit of math called the 'Brian Agenda' that shows just how much power the world is using and will need.

I see they used one of the reactors as 'the engine room' in the first Star Trek with Chris Pine reboot.

Progress...not perfection.

Matty

My feeling is that fusion is going to stop being perpetually 15 years away pretty soon.   My Dad's first job at LANL (in '73, when I was in 3rd grade) was to work on a new laser-driven fusion project (similar to the NIF that they are still fooling around with now at Livermore).  Sadly that was canceled as soon as the Regan era started and he moved on to other, more classified projects.  Realistically, controlled fusion was a pipe dream back then for multiple reasons.

In 2022, the combination of unbelievably sophisticated computing platforms and gobs of private money (which reliably gets 10X the results per dollar invested versus government grant funded projects, at least as far as practical applications are concerned) is pushing the field forward in ways that simply were not possible until recently.  I'm not sure I would bank on the really optimistic projections of commercial fusion power facilities coming on line in the early 2030s, but I'll honestly be surprised if we DON'T see them in the 2040s.