1/35 Tamiya Panzer III L river crossing diorama

Panzerwomble

I read a review about this model when it came out that said , "this is so good , go out and buy half a dozen" . I 100% agree , it's a great mix of subject, detail, buildability....even the wubber twacks worked fine for me . Reckon there's a snowy Pz III for later....maybe a Kursk one.........and a ..and a .... 

Anyhoo , been doing "water" stuff this month , (number 2  will be along shortly ). 

So :- 

Take a Chance ? 

Panzer III , 18th Panzer Division , 2nd Company commander weighing up the risk of using a ford , Case Blau advance in central Russia during the summer of 1942 .

Cheers 

PW 

IMG-0795.jpg

IMG-0817.jpg

IMG-0812.jpg

IMG-0778.jpg

29 minutes ago, John1 said:

Nice.   The water is especially well done, how did you create it?

Cheers - 2 part epoxy resin .....which is a whole bunch of fun to work with ....not . 

I've tried before only to see it all eat through the foam and disappear under the bench ...wrecking the whole thing . 

So was a bit of trepidation I approached this one .....went better this time .

Woodland Scenics provided the "ripples" for the waves. 

3 hours ago, Panzerwomble said:

Anyhoo , been doing "water" stuff this month , (number 2  will be along shortly ).

59 minutes ago, John1 said:

Nice.   The water is especially well done, how did you create it?

I've become a huge fan of this stuff.  Dries clear. You can tint it too. Not as toxic and fraught with peril like resin.  Just have to go slow and build up layers.

20200528_085720

I've been using it to make all my water scenes of late.  First real effort was this Huey/PBR brown water scene.  It'll be at Nats too if your coming.

-Peter

1 hour ago, easixpedro said:

I've become a huge fan of this stuff.  Dries clear. You can tint it too. Not as toxic and fraught with peril like resin.  Just have to go slow and build up layers.

I've been using it to make all my water scenes of late.  First real effort was this Huey/PBR brown water scene.  It'll be at Nats too if your coming.

-Peter

he he he as we speak it's on my bench . 

7-CB3-C772-E932-4-CE2-909-D-A1-D64137631

yes liquitex is what I use for sea scapes over paper

I'm not sure how many layers it would take to get to 15 mm although your Huey scene seems quite deep .

TBH I'm happy to learn how to use epoxy properly as  "do something different" is my modelling creed 

7 minutes ago, Panzerwomble said:

I'm not sure how many layers it would take to get to 15 mm although your Huey scene seems quite deep .

TBH I'm happy to learn how to use epoxy properly as  "do something different" is my modelling creed 

There's countless coats on the Huey scene. It was built in the midst of the great TP crises early in Covid. I'd used TP infused w/ white glue to build up the wake and recall thinking it was an 'expensive' scene because of that.  Painted the base layer brown and would add a layer each day.  It's easily 5-10mm thick in some places. 

I started using this after building a Vietnam era M48 stuck in a rice paddy.  The resin never really cured properly and I was pretty perturbed at having wasted a lot of effort on building/weather some armor to muck up the works in the end. So a tip of the proverbial cap to you for continually stretching the envelope!

• LSP_K2 changed the title to 1/35 Tamiya Panzer III L river crossing diorama

Damn, Womble.... 

I'm sorry...   I know you told me your name once.  Anyway.  Surprised and impressed with this panzer build!  Keep up the great work.  Between the U-boat and the panzer in the water you've blown my mind.

Edited by Gazzas
typo

31 minutes ago, Gazzas said:

Damn, Womble.... 

I'm sorry...   I know you told me your name once.  Anyway.  Surprised and impressed with this panzer build!  Keep up the great work.  Between the U-boat and the panzer in the water you've blown my mind.

Cheers 

Water seems to be often a bit of "the final frontier" and yet both of these were kinda straighforward .Resin is a bit all or nothing though , if it goes wrong there is not much coming back . 

Guy 

ah ...my secrets out !