Revell F4F-4 Wildcat

Rick Stone

I started another thread in this forum to sort of introduce myself and my re-entry into building 1/32 models.  The thread grew in a couple different directions, mainly due to my questions, so I am starting the actual build log here.  I have cleaned off the workbench (as much as it can be cleaned!) and am ready to get underway.  I will gratefully accept and appreciate any comments, tips, and tricks to help me with this build.  So, without further adoo........

Let-the-games-begin.jpg

Not much to show yet.  Just did the unboxing, verified all parts are there.  Even the decals look amazingly good for a kit that has been bouncing around for probably 25 years.  This big scale model is already sparking memories of my childhood..... and admonitions from mom and dad to make sure I put down plenty of newspaper and don't spill any paint!

Most of the parts are still on the sprues, but there is a lot of flash around some of them.  Old, tired molds I suspect, but nothing I can't work with.  More to come soon, but for now, this is what the workbench looks like.

Cheers!

20220711-192352.jpg

Will be following this one!  Have had a hankering after flying through Midway on the 80th Anniversary of the battle. Stopped and paid homage at their Dauntless display.  Have an urge to use this and recreate Butch O'Hare's MoH flight, or something from Midway similar to my other builds. 

Will be scouring the stash sales at Nats for certain. 

-Peter

PS: Share lots of pics!

Not much progress, but a little is still better than none!  Tried some airbrushing last night...... did not go well.  But I did learn a few things.... 1) I suck at trying to make custom colors by mixing.... I just could not get a combination to look like zinc chromate!  2) Not all acrylics are created equal.... apparently model master does not like vallejo..... or is it the other way 'round?  In any case, they don't seem to want to mix well.   So, at lunchtime today, off to the LHS I went for some vallejo zinc chromate.  They do not have a color with that name, so I had to guess, and it was indeed a guess because the color chips on the display rack are nowhere near accurate.  Oh well, I managed to select something that is passable, at least to my untrained eye..... so here you go.....

20220713-160616.jpg

20220713-160633.jpg

I would like to find a decal for the instrument panel..... I have no desire to attempt to paint all those dials.  I have done a brief search on google without finding anything.  Anyone have any leads?  Even a pic that I could download, shrink to size, and print on paper would be better than any paint job I could do!  Oh, and seat belts too!  I know I said it was gonna be OOB, but those 2 details are important, in my little mind.

Generic seat belts are readily available from most on-line hobby shops and on eBay.  I didn't see any aftermarket panel decals but eBay has several pages of listings for 1/32 wildcat kits, surplus parts, decals, and aftermarket stuff.  

Found a really nice set of accessories from Eduard on the internet, but they are 1/72 scale.  Thinkin I might just get some decal sheet, resize, and print them myself.....

big-ss755-web.jpg

Update..... fooled around a bit with the image in MS Word, and resized and printed a test sheet on paper, and holy smokes, it fit perfectly!  So now I'll get some decal paper and print it.  From what I have read, after printing, the decal paper needs to be clear-coated.  Questions for the group.... 1) How heavy should the clear coat be?  2) Acrylic?  Like Vallejo out of a rattle can?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Edited by Rick Stone
update

oh, that kit!
when I built it I was an enthusiastic boy, and even then it made me suffer...

I follow your construction with admiration! for the instrument panel, and other available details, have you tried looking on the scalemates website? ;)

"grumman f4f wildcat" 1:32 - Scale Modeling Search

https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?fkSECTION[]=All&q="grumman+f4f+wildcat"++1%3A32

good hunting!

Paolo

18 hours ago, Rick Stone said:

From what I have read, after printing, the decal paper needs to be clear-coated.  Questions for the group.... 1) How heavy should the clear coat be?  2) Acrylic?  Like Vallejo out of a rattle can?

Assuming you are using a laser printer and printing on white or clear decal film (Microscale makes both) use clear lacquer from a rattle can (Krylon is good) or airbrush clear lacquer. But be aware that some laser inks will either ghost (spread) or simply run. You can try mist coats, but if you want a shiny surface you're going to have to put down a wet coat. 

23 hours ago, Rick Stone said:

Found a really nice set of accessories from Eduard on the internet, but they are 1/72 scale.  Thinkin I might just get some decal sheet, resize, and print them myself.....

big-ss755-web.jpg

Update..... fooled around a bit with the image in MS Word, and resized and printed a test sheet on paper, and holy smokes, it fit perfectly!  So now I'll get some decal paper and print it.  From what I have read, after printing, the decal paper needs to be clear-coated.  Questions for the group.... 1) How heavy should the clear coat be?  2) Acrylic?  Like Vallejo out of a rattle can?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

You can also print the PE in 1/32 on heavy paper stock or photo paper, then cut the parts out and attach them with thin double sided tape or even glue and you wouldn’t have to mess with trying to coat them with something.  Photo paper would probably be best because it would give you a sharper printed image and a cleaner edge when cut.

6 hours ago, Oldbaldguy said:

You can also print the PE in 1/32 on heavy paper stock or photo paper, then cut the parts out and attach them with thin double sided tape or even glue and you wouldn’t have to mess with trying to coat them with something.  Photo paper would probably be best because it would give you a sharper printed image and a cleaner edge when cut.

That's a great idea, OBG, never thought of that.  It would eliminate some steps and reduce opportunities for errors.