Revell reissued their iconic 1/8 Trans Am

iaf-man

The stories of the ones that got away….:(

’67 Camaro RS convertible.  I had a bodyshop back in ‘85-‘86.  The son of the guy I rented the building from had it.  I even painted his Ranchero GT for him.  Always told him I wanted the Camaro when he decided to sell. OK, you’ll be the first to know. I mean, it was like I saw this guy every day, 3 or 4 times a day.

One day I see someone else driving off in it.  I asked him who was driving my car.  All I got was that eyes wide open oh **** I done messed up look.  “Oh man, I forgot….”  Sold it for $2500.

My first car was a ‘65 Fairlane, 289.  It was my grandmothers car handed down to me. Typical kid, I didn’t  appreciate what I had.  Met a guy about my age that was out cruising in a ‘57 Chevy 2 door hardtop.  He wanted my Fairlane bad. I wanted his ’57 bad.  We were both about 18-19 still under our parents rule.  I got my parents on board to do a swap which I thought was going to be impossible since it was a family car.  His mother choked on the deal.  I still want a ‘57 Chevy.  Got a line on an all original restored convertible they might be willing to trade for my ‘66 GT Fastback.  Problem is, the ‘57 is all original.  All I see is a money pit upgrading brakes, suspension, AC, engine and trans, etc..

What really annoys me at times, is since I drove such oddball cars all of my young life, there are simply no model cars of any of them for me to build, not stock anyway. My very first car ever, was a '65 Dodge Polara, 318, push-button TorqueFlite. Try to find a completely stock model kit of that; same with every other car I ever owned.

Boy, does this thread bring back memories.  I graduated from college in 1965 and the first thing I did after I landed a job was to trade in my 1950 flat head Ford and buy a cool car. GTOs, Mustangs, and Chargers were the rage, l wanted something that would get out and move, but also had a little more pazazz. What I settled on was what was called a Pontiac 2+2.  This was what we used to call a real "p***y wagon". Bright red convertible, black top, black interior with bucket seats (unusual in 1965), Positraction rear end, and 4 on the floor.  Under the hood was a 427 with chrome rocker covers & air cleaner, and a big ol' honkin' Rochester 4BBL carburetor, attached to the gas tank with a 4 inch gas line.  But heck, back then gas was like 45 cents a gallon so who cared about mileage.

This car was built on a Catalina chassis and was bigger and heavier that a true "muscle car' but man could this baby go.  I beat several mustangs racing (on a dark back country road) but I never could go head to head with a GTO (We called them "Goats" back then, or "Grind Tires Off").  At any rate, I loved that car and sold it only after I got engaged and realized I couldn't afford the car and a wife together.  I still have memories of blasting down the road with the top down at over 100 MPH (Likie to scare the **** out of me!).  I'm from Michigan and at that time I lived in Jackson, and every other weekend I would leave Jackson about 10PM Friday night and head north to my folk's place. US 127 was a straight shot up the middle of the state and I used to plant that car right at 100 for mile after mile at night, never seeing a soul (or a deer either, thank the Lord) Well except one time I remember a Greyhound bus passing me.  He had to be doing at least 115 or 120!  Fun times, back then, it's a wonder I didn't kill myself.

Oh, and there were less than 10,000 2+2's built that year.  Think what that would be worth today!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2022 at 12:49 PM, LSP_K2 said:

What really annoys me at times, is since I drove such oddball cars all of my young life, there are simply no model cars of any of them for me to build, not stock anyway. My very first car ever, was a '65 Dodge Polara, 318, push-button TorqueFlite. Try to find a completely stock model kit of that; same with every other car I ever owned.

I briefly owned one as well. Still the only automatic transmission I'm aware of that could "push start" 

Mine had 4 doors and enough room to fit two modern cars inside it

On 7/28/2022 at 5:16 PM, Astro32 said:

I wonder if/when this reissue will be available in the U.S.? In spite of the size of it, a nice trip down memory lane.

I wonder, on that thought, if there's a retailer in Europe or the UK I'd be able to order one from?

• 2 months later...

Just got mine today. LHS ordered it for me. They decided not to stock them as they're $229 retail! But considering I saw an original issue on ebay for $1,500, a relative bargain. I won't be leaving mine alone. I'm going to fix a few minor faults and add bigger wheels & tires for starters.