Revell reissued their iconic 1/8 Trans Am

iaf-man

10 minutes ago, Lee White said:

Had the real one, one of the worst-built cars I had ever seen. They called it the Malaise Era for a reason.

Really?

it went to be famous due to "Bandit" film only?

not a muscle car?

19 minutes ago, Lee White said:

Had the real one, one of the worst-built cars I had ever seen. They called it the Malaise Era for a reason.

I heard from an acquaintance who owned one that you could see the fuel gauge move to the Empty side as you accelerated.  Is that true?

@iaf-man if you want a Muscle Trans-Am, they exist, but you have to go back to 74 or Older, and 73/74 its some very specific options to make them fast.  Now, a 1970 Trans-Am with a Ram Air IV motor would be a lot of fun.  They were also much better looking in the early 70s. By 76, pretty much the only American cars you would want to own were all trucks, since the smog rules were not as strict. 

1970_pontiac_firebird_trans-am_163735064

If they did a 1/8th of that, I'd be all over it. This image is from a Bring a trailer auction. 

Edited by JeepsGunsTanks

6 hours ago, Mark_C said:

I heard from an acquaintance who owned one that you could see the fuel gauge move to the Empty side as you accelerated.  Is that true?

This is common on a lot of old cars, since most old gas tanks don't have baffles around the fuel level sensor. It's just most 'normal' cars don't accelerate like a proper musclecar. 

I say proper musclecar, because they are not all the same.  You could buy an SS Chevelle, GTO, 442, GS,  Charger, with a low performance engine, so you could just look cool. Or you could order these cars with secret motor options and have them putting out 450 plus horsepower, even though it was rated at 375.  You're typical, grocery getter musclecar with the base motor option and a automatic transmission, is not going to be very fast. A 67 Chevelle with an L78 396 putting out 375 HP but actually putting close to 425, tuned right can rip off low 13s, high 12s.  Most Musclecars off the show room floor, even with the good options, wouldn't break into the mid 13s. But with a little change here and there, could be running 11s or 12s. 

There is this race class the NHRA runs, it's basically bring and run your stock musclecars drags. 

Here is a video of a TA like this doing an 14.92. That's not good. 

Here is a video two of the fastest cars of the Era, a Hemi Challenger, and a L78 Nova. Both rip off low 13 second 1/4s, on period correct tires, and "stock" (there are some very minor changes allowed, and if the suspect you're cheating, they will pull your motor apart trackside at an event.

If you like "Guy" Humor, Cars and Zebras is a great channel, the man knows his cars too. 

Edited by JeepsGunsTanks

2 hours ago, JeepsGunsTanks said:

This is common on a lot of old cars, since most old gas tanks don't have baffles around the fuel level sensor. It's just most 'normal' cars don't accelerate like a proper musclecar. 

I say proper musclecar, because they are not all the same.  You could buy an SS Chevelle, GTO, 442, GS,  Charger, with a low performance engine, so you could just look cool. Or you could order these cars with secret motor options and have them putting out 450 plus horsepower, even though it was rated at 375.  You're typical, grocery getter musclecar with the base motor option and a automatic transmission, is not going to be very fast. A 67 Chevelle with an L78 396 putting out 375 HP but actually putting close to 425, tuned right can rip off low 13s, high 12s.  Most Musclecars off the show room floor, even with the good options, wouldn't break into the mid 13s. But with a little change here and there, could be running 11s or 12s. 

There is this race class the NHRA runs, it's basically bring and run your stock musclecars drags. 

Here is a video of a TA like this doing an 14.92. That's not good. 

Here is a video two of the fastest cars of the Era, a Hemi Challenger, and a L78 Nova. Both rip off low 13 second 1/4s, on period correct tires, and "stock" (there are some very minor changes allowed, and if the suspect you're cheating, they will pull your motor apart trackside at an event.

If you like "Guy" Humor, Cars and Zebras is a great channel, the man knows his cars too. 

I remember those “low horse power” muscle cars….my 440 6 pack charger was rated at something like 250 hp at 1850 RPM or so….who rates an engine’s power at high idle? I know it was so they could “street” the cars at insurable prices but jeez

13 hours ago, chrish said:

I remember those “low horse power” muscle cars….my 440 6 pack charger was rated at something like 250 hp at 1850 RPM or so….who rates an engine’s power at high idle? I know it was so they could “street” the cars at insurable prices but jeez

I mean, there were actual GTOs, and Chevelles, etc, that came with low compression, 2 barrel carb motors, with 265 actual horsepower in the 2 barrel Pontiac 400s case.   

You also have to take into account the changed how they rated horsepower on US cars in the early 70s. 

Now, what you're talking about was also done, but it was doe to keep insurance rates low. It was insurance costs, not gas prices that killed the musclecar era. None of the big Auto makers were being honest on their high end motors. Chrysler was notorious for it.   Oldsmobile was probably putting real ratings on their cars, thing is Olds motors are such dogs!

People wanting cars that look fast, but are not in fact fast, has been a thing for years. That's how the Mustang got its start! 

Edited by JeepsGunsTanks