T-28 Trojan land-based wheels and extractor seats

jeroen_R90S

I have the Kitty Hawk T-28C kit and AOA decals which includes 2 T-28C's.

One is a fairly early T-28C in VNAF colours for which, as far as I was able to find, the kit wheels or the Navy style wheels by RESKit are good.

There is also  a Laotian T-28C that was converted like a T-28D-5 with land-based wheels and extractor seats. I can't find a picture of this exact machine, but have found others like it (D-5s that is). I noticed these have bigger tyres, and I'm wondering which of these wheel sets are good match for those. The Kitty Hawk kit seems to come only with a  "fat" nose wheel and tyre.

https://www.dersockelshop.de/search?p=1&q=T-28&o=9&n=20&f=6|364

Anyone more knowledgeable in T-28s know what set I might need for a T-28C that's been updated like a T-28D-5? And are the aftermarket extractor seats or do I need to find and modify these from a Skyraider? 

Thanks!

Jeroen

In as far as I can ascertain, all the T-28D had the "fat" nose wheel, which was essentially the same as the main wheel but without brake discs. The D is a bit of minefield because it was a modified airframe. Thankfully there are some good resources on the net: 

- A gentleman called Steve Darke put together a pdf with very detailed lists identifying the T-28 by serial number and operator. The document also describes briefly the differences between the versions and is quite impressive. This pdf can be downloaded from here: https://kipdf.com/south-east-asia-t-28-s_5ab062031723dd329c6356a9.html 

- Detail and Scale photos: https://www.detailandscale.com/meetup/t-28-trojan-usaf-versions 

- This has some interesting info: https://docplayer.net/57323880-Khmer-air-force-t-28s-maintained-under-the-supervision-of-air-america-s-lmat-phnom-penh-by-dr-joe-f-leeker.html

Only a handful of T-28D were equipped with the Yankee extraction system, please check the refs. 

Here is a T-28D without the Yankee extraction system: 

header_t28_page_1430222435.jpg

Here is a T-28D with the Yankee extraction system only in the front seat

Laotian_North_American_T-28D-5_at_Long_T

Here is a T-28D with Yankee extraction system in both seats

Trojan-03

The Yankee extraction system used on the T-28 had a different layout from the, let's say, the Skyraider due to the limited space available for the extractor rocket. You will need to scratch-build it, the photos in the Detail and Scale link above may help. 

I forgot to mention that the KH kit of the "C" is not a good starting point for a "D". The "D" did not have a tail hook, which was removed when converted from a "C". You need the KH "B/D" kit. Also the "D" did not have an air brake, so you need to fill the holes in the kit air brake. 

Externally, there is not much of a difference between the "D" converted from an "A" (majority of them) or the "D" converted from a "C". The fuel supply system was different between the "A" and the "C" and that was carried over to the respective "D" that resulted from the conversion. The difference in the fuel systems is noticeable in the pipework inside the wheel well, notably that the "C" had a sump tank in the wheel well, whereas the "A" did not, but these are tiny details. ;)

On 7/9/2022 at 1:13 PM, Radub said:

Trojan-03

Thanks for your information Radu! And this particular aircraft is what is included on the AOA sheet and now thanks to this thread I have 2 pictures of it! As can be seen in the photo below (1)40533 was a T-28C. I'll look into your links as well, need a bit more time to have a leaf through them!

On 7/9/2022 at 8:23 PM, Kagemusha said:

The only photos of Laotian T-28C's I've seen are these two

khamopernongkeunmr5.jpg

Nice! the same aircraft as in the AOA sheet definately shows this was a T-28C :) (edit: not that I doubted AOA's research :)

Thanks for the wheel tip too, they look like the picture Radu showed so I'll go with the same set. 

Too bad there's no aftermarket set for the extractor seats, but I should be able to cobble something together :)

Jeroen

Edited by jeroen_R90S

• 1 month later...
On 7/9/2022 at 8:23 PM, Kagemusha said:

Don't forget to add a U-shaped frame around the national insignia for when they wanted to blank them out!

troj2.jpg&ehk=rWLJ1T2e9vdhKgeF8otxPDXKNT

stumbled upon this; nice closeups and apparently this aircraft had extractor seats originally.

Looks like a big armoured plate between the seats too, though the entire thing needs a lot of love -and $$$$ I suppose ;)

u-frame:

4.jpg

armour plate, I assume the cut-out is for the extraction rocket?

3.jpg

Found them here, there's more stuff:

https://sky4buy.com/North-American-T-28-B-D-Vietnam-history-Project-Rockets-Guns-Project-221993876161/06059

(you can right-click the thumbnail images, open in new tab, then save them, at least on Firefox, otherwise it won't let you)

Oh, and as my LHS now carries ResKit I was able to order set of wheels! :)

Jeroen

Edited by jeroen_R90S