Border 1/35 Kate

John1

2 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

To each his own but personally I do not need a micrometer to see a 10% size difference...:oops:

To each his own, indeed. :innocent:
But I won’t be able to tell if a reproduction of Mona Lisa is slightly smaller or larger than another one (or as a matter of fact the original) if I get to see one on its own. Do you? :coolio:

I said earlier it's a hard pass from me - that's purely a personal thing - I like having a constant scale collection, and the difference between 1:32 and 1:35 *is* noticeable when viewed side by side.

But I'm not grumbling...

• In 1:32 we've never had it so good. The breadth of choice - and quality of most of the kits - really is astounding when I compare it to the 1980s, when I started in 1:32
  • It's a new kit of a great subject - and it looks like Border are doing a fine job of what looks like a superb kit
  • There's another kit in 1:32 coming
  • Why shouldn't Border test a new market? I don't think the volume is there globally, but if they find a niche that is profitable to them, why not?
  • I haven't taken it as a personal sleight on my hobby interests, or a conspiracy to 'convert' us all to 1:35 :hmmm:
  • Finally, I blame Tamiya for coming out with 1:35 in the first place - stupid idea - it'll never catch on! :P

Others' mileage will, of course, vary, but, speaking personally, I have way more in the stash to build than I have years left - so it's all a bit moot...

However - some 1:32 ground vehicles *would* be nice.  B)

Iain

24 minutes ago, quang said:

To each his own, indeed. :innocent:
But I won’t be able to tell if a reproduction of Mona Lisa is slightly smaller or larger than another one (or as a matter of fact the original) if I get to see one on its own. Do you? :coolio:

Not easily when you just look at the plane globally and surely not for Mona Lisa! But as soon as I start looking at kit details, this becomes different. Believe me, a ten percent difference IS visible. And this is more obvious when I look at the engine, cockpit, propeller, machine gun, bomb, etc. Well, at least to me. This is possibly because I'm only working in  1/35 and 1/32 scales for more than 35 years. By the way, when I saw the actual Mona Lisa, I was very surprised seeing how small it is! :doh:

OMG Border are terrible they are doing 1/35 aircraft

.....OMG Border have released the 1/32 Lancaster ....

Shoot , can't have it both ways . Can't believe how much people invest in this nonsense ....buy em ...don't buy em .

No one cares honestly ....esp Border. 

I hate the idea "alchopops" but understand they are not made/ marketed at me ....so as an adult I don't feel the need to complain everytime I go in a bar .. :beer4:

:deadhorse:

Easy fix: Add two layers more of Mr. Surfacer and the model grows right into 1/32 scale :punk:

But you really miss the big picture here:

Border wants you to make your own diorama of Kamikaze Kate crashing into Takoms MK.38 5'' twin gun mount on board of a not-so-lucky US Navy destroyer. That's the true reason for this choice of scale...  :thumbsup:

Regards

- dutik

1 hour ago, Panzerwomble said:

No one cares honestly ....esp Border. 

True but only up to a point.  If model shop staff recoil at the thought of 1/35 aircraft on the basis that 'they just don't sell in that scale' then it does leave me wondering why Border would choose 1/35 and not 1/32.  Especially when the kit would have every chance of selling like hot cakes if made in 1/32 scale.

Fair enough logic if the plan was a diorama with 1/35 AFV's or trucks/figures.

I have no answers or manufacturers insight but am curious about that choice.  Not complaining though.  They must have their reasons.

Matty

1 hour ago, Jeff T said:

Just one other point that I'm not sure if it has been mentioned, is you are stuck with the markings in the kit, because I dont know if there's too many 1/35 aftermarket Aircraft decals out there.

No, there aren’t. Border’s 1/35 Bf-109 has aftermarket support for cockpit details, landing gear, wheels and tires, canopy masks and basic marking decals, but no individual markings that I can find. Some crafty people will design their own, I’m sure. There’ve been some very impressive Japanese subjects posted on LSP finished with home-made masks.

Adam

How many kits do you purchase 'have' to fit into a diorama ? I'd bet you could count the diorama

builders here on LSP on one hand.  As has been said, I buy kits for subject matter and size,

not scale, which is probably why I have kits in all three major (most popular) scales.

Another relevant factor is price. If the Infinity kit is substantialy more than the Border, that

alone may help Border's sales. If you're worried about the relativity of finished size, just put

your 1/35 stuff in a seperate place.... maybe ?  :shrug: