Border 1/35 Kate

John1

Totally agree these are huge missed opportunities, there is no logical sense to try and start a new scale as it were, I sort of understand the Fiesler Storch and some of the helicopters but even then I recon more guys that build ‘aircraft’ do not really do many major diorama settings, either which way dioramas in 1/32 or 1/35 get very large. I am sure many modellers either armour or aircraft, are really into trying to match aircraft and armour In sets or collections on their display shelves. If they do, it will account for a very small percentage of modellers.

OH WELL each to their own, pity as I have heard the 109 and Stuka are quite nice, but we have not seen to many being bought up and modelled, maybe it is different for their home market?

35 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

You're right! What we absolutely need is a new tool 1/35 Tomcat!!!:doh:

YEP now you're talking  :frantic:

46 minutes ago, Ali62 said:

Totally agree these are huge missed opportunities, there is no logical sense to try and start a new scale as it were, I sort of understand the Fiesler Storch and some of the helicopters but even then I recon more guys that build ‘aircraft’ do not really do many major diorama settings, either which way dioramas in 1/32 or 1/35 get very large. I am sure many modellers either armour or aircraft, are really into trying to match aircraft and armour In sets or collections on their display shelves. If they do, it will account for a very small percentage of modellers.

OH WELL each to their own, pity as I have heard the 109 and Stuka are quite nice, but we have not seen to many being bought up and modelled, maybe it is different for their home market?

I agree. I have two 1/35th helos, but for me helicopters are most all in 35th, and there is virtually no chance of them coming out in 32nd.

However, aircraft IMHO are way different to try to start producing in 35th. 

I’m sure there is a market for dedicated 1/35th modelers who want to add aircraft to their repertoire, and I fully understand why those modelers would like to maintain scale consistency in their collections. I also get why manufacturers that already make a lot of 1/35th kits would want to stay in that lane. None of it seems stupid to me. Infinity Kate for some, Border Kate for others. I see no losers here.

Adam

Edited by adameliclem

When I first got back into modelling, I wanted to display a representation of equipment used in a particular campaign and was very frustrated to find out that that there were 2 different ‘large’ scales for armour and aircraft … I was so annoyed with it at the time - that I considered switching to 48th …

… of course I just sucked it up and went with 2 different scales anyway - near enough is good enough …

I’ve often wondered who would be able to influence a change of scale - and while I always thought that there were far too many aircraft kits in 1/32, by too many different manufacturers, to change the aircraft scale … the only major influencer in the large scale armour modelling until the late noughties was Tamiya … BUT … then Dragon started pumping out very well engineered, detailed and accurate ‘all-in-one’ kits - to the point where it became ridiculous - at a rate of several new releases every month!!

Dragon missed an opportunity here to change the scale … backed by Revell/Monogram and Airfix already making 1/32 armour, Dragon could have become a main influencer of scale change. Instead they reinforced the status quo …

Will Border be able to start a new trend for AC in 35? … I’m quite sure that, if the Stuka and Bf.109 weren’t selling well enough, we either wouldn’t be seeing CAD of another kit at all OR at least something less esoteric than a Kate!! … Whether the trend lasts will be up to several factors - not the least of which include build quality, detail clarity and accuracy - it’s hard enough to break into an existing market, let alone create a brand new one!!

Rog :)

Don't understand their obsession with going down the 1/35 scale route on aircraft especially as its an odd scale for planes as well. Can't believe these will be huge sellers but who knows?

1/35 scale Lanc anyone.... :D

Regards. Andy 

Finemolds did a couple Japanese trucks, but I'm not aware of any IJN carrier vehicles. It looks decent as a stand alone model, but I don't see many diorama possibilities right now.

A 1/35 jeep and Cletrac would be options I suppose.