Work bench paint organizers

swede

I am finally forced to admit that the paint bottle situation has become a nightmare. I wanted to move to the rack systems as it looks the best for a modular ability. Now I have Mig, Mission Models and a few other mfg.'s bottles, so looking at what, 1 3/8" through 25mm or so. Question is, looking for advise from those who have these organizers. What mfg.'s have the best products. The laser cut ones seem to be the best route as they look sturdy enough without the cost. Appreciate any info on this ......

In my opinion, the laser cut paint racks and holders only really work well if the majority of your paint is in the same size bottles, and you don't have an overly large selection. If you have an assortment of different sizes from different manufacturers, then I'd look more in the direction of a shelf-based system, rather than something with fixed-size laser-cut holes. That way, almost any style and size of paint bottle or jar can be accommodated, and with a lot less wasted space.

Kev

I confess to using these toolchests.  They have sales various times of the year and they might be up to half price at times.

Toolchests

The top drawers will fit all the Gunze, Tamiya small bottles, any enamel tins.  The larger drawers will fit large cans or bottles of Alclad.  Super nice drawer slides. Everything stays dust free and organised.

Not all toolchests have the same drawer sizes though. Some might be as tall but lack the depth. Others don't have enough height and even more have awful metal on metal drawer slides.

Cheers Matty

I was faced with the same question when I started building out my new work area after the move.  Lots of googling and questions asked on different modeling sites, I came up with this.  I ordered nail polish organizers off Amazon.  I found two different sizes.  One is deeper than the other.  I built a box out of MDF I could mount them to, put a lazy Susan bearing base on it with a recess in the top for storage as well. 

BeEd45.jpg

Another angle.  You can see I have it on top of a roll around tool chest.  Since my build bench is in a walkway to the back porch, I can tuck it up,against the bench when we have company. 

I9fNUp.jpg

Edited by ScottsGT

15 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

In my opinion, the laser cut paint racks and holders only really work well if the majority of your paint is in the same size bottles, and you don't have an overly large selection. If you have an assortment of different sizes from different manufacturers, then I'd look more in the direction of a shelf-based system, rather than something with fixed-size laser-cut holes. That way, almost any style and size of paint bottle or jar can be accommodated, and with a lot less wasted space.

Kev

I'd have to agree here. I also believe that not all paints need to be within arms reach, as I use them far less frequently than sanding sticks, cements, tweezers, nippers and the like, which I tend to use far more frequently.

Let me offer a concern in regard to storing lacquer paint. I keep the bottles, MRP, Mr Color and AK/RC, in Sterlite clip-boxes. Why? Because the fumes will knock me over when I undo one of the box lids. The vapors are that strong and I don't want them being constantly released into my workspace, even when the bottles are apparently properly sealed. MRP is the worst in this regard, but Mr Color bottles are pretty fumy as well. I've thought about this a lot, BTW. I admit that it's a PITA to go rummaging through the boxes looking for a particular color. To simplify matters, I keep the boxes organized by brand and subject (USN, RAF, Lufty, etc.,). Just don't know what else to do.

4 hours ago, ivanmoe said:

Let me offer a concern in regard to storing lacquer paint. I keep the bottles, MRP, Mr Color and AK/RC, in Sterlite clip-boxes. Why? Because the fumes will knock me over when I undo one of the box lids. The vapors are that strong and I don't want them being constantly released into my workspace, even when the bottles are apparently properly sealed. MRP is the worst in this regard, but Mr Color bottles are pretty fumy as well. I've thought about this a lot, BTW. I admit that it's a PITA to go rummaging through the boxes looking for a particular color. To simplify matters, I keep the boxes organized by brand and subject (USN, RAF, Lufty, etc.,). Just don't know what else to do.

Plastic bottles.  Plastic lids/tops.  Solvents in lacquers will still leach through plastics over time. 

I agree that when you store unopened bottles of hobby lacquer in a sealed container when you open it there is a strong solvent odor. No idea why this is, it just is. 

I use five Hobby Zone modular wall racks which are perfect for my paint storage needs. This particular unit has two short shelves that are perfect for Mr. Hobby bottles and two taller shelves that are perfect for my pre-thinned 30ml bottles which I've labeled myself with Avery permanent labels. The plastic bottles are solvent resistant and the caps fit tight enough so that I've noticed no solvent evaporation even over long periods. 

171960158.jpg

On 7/7/2022 at 8:11 AM, Archer Fine Transfers said:

I agree that when you store unopened bottles of hobby lacquer in a sealed container when you open it there is a strong solvent odor. No idea why this is, it just is. 

I use five Hobby Zone modular wall racks which are perfect for my paint storage needs. This particular unit has two short shelves that are perfect for Mr. Hobby bottles and two taller shelves that are perfect for my pre-thinned 30ml bottles which I've labeled myself with Avery permanent labels. The plastic bottles are solvent resistant and the caps fit tight enough so that I've noticed no solvent evaporation even over long periods. 

171960158.jpg

First, really nice layout. But I never in my lifetime thought I would say what I’m about to say.  It’s not earthquake proof!  LOL. I say that because for some strange reason we buy a new home and just about dead center of the new home and our old home there has been about 46 earthquakes since December of last year.  Epicenter is about 20 miles from me. 
Thankfully our strongest has only been a 3.6. But when it all started I keep thinking about my display case and my paint shelves dumping bottles everywhere.  

EDIT:  Just for grins I’m updating out earthquake count as of 8/17/2022.  Were up to 74 or 75 now!  Apparently it is due to the first one back in December that allowed water from the river to seep down into the tectonic plates “lubricating” them to move easier. On the upside, it has released pressure so we won’t get “the big one” one day. 

Edited by ScottsGT