"Flying" Home this Afternoon

John1

16 hours ago, John1 said:

Just to add on to what Michael said (and by the way, that is an amazing rig you have there bud) - You don't need to go to that level to enjoy the sim.   I've got a somewhat high end machine (i7/10.7k, 16 gig RAM and a 3060ti graphics card).   I'm running most settings at Ultra and have no issues.   Only time things slow down is when I use VR.   You can purchase a machine like this online or from a local shop (mine is an Alienware rig) and just get a lower end joystick / throttle rig.   You don't have to be a PZ wiz to use this sim either.    

If you have the $, you can jump in and enjoy pretty easily.   You'll learn more tricks as you go. 

Thanks John1.  Those Honeycom controllers are great, and I managed to pick them up at $270 off too  :D.  I'm jealous of your VR and that graphics card.  Mine's a 1080, though the sim is still smooth.  I found adding an extra 16gb ram helped smooth out scenery display, and not too expensive either.

Cheers,

Michael

23 minutes ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

No problem, Jeff.  It's actually not as bad as it may sound.  Most of this stuff is plug and play.  As long as you've got a decent computer and a passable internet connection, your next step is to download your flight sim of choice (I'd suggest MSFS) and plug in a controller.  Start basic and work your way up as you want.  As I said, there's a whole world to explore, and in so many ways.

There's also heaps of forums to provide help, just like here.  Check out sites like AVSim, Flightsim.com and Sim Outhouse.

Cheers,

Michael

Thanks Michael, I will probably do that down the track, because it's something I would like to do, I'll see what happens.

Cheer's,

Jeff.

8 hours ago, ChuckD said:

Still rocking a 1070ti and running 4k here.  FS2020, DCS, and Il-2 all run fine for me. 

I'm not the most tech savvy guy.  How do you run "4K"?   I don't see it in any graphics options.   I'm running at the highest resolution offered.   Is there another setting somewhere that I've overlooked?

23 hours ago, John1 said:

I'm not the most tech savvy guy.  How do you run "4K"?   I don't see it in any graphics options.   I'm running at the highest resolution offered.   Is there another setting somewhere that I've overlooked?

"4k" just refers to the resolution that you're running the game at.  The resolution is hard limited by your monitor itself.  Here's some info on how to check your monitor's possible settings: https://www.wikihow.com/Check-Your-Screen-Resolution Anything around 4000 pixels wide is more or less considered "4k"

2 hours ago, ChuckD said:

"4k" just refers to the resolution that you're running the game at.  The resolution is hard limited by your monitor itself.  Here's some info on how to check your monitor's possible settings: https://www.wikihow.com/Check-Your-Screen-Resolution Anything around 4000 pixels wide is more or less considered "4k"

And that explains it.   I got back into flight sims after a 15 year hiatus.   I used to be very tech savvy, did a lot of hardware upgrades, etc.   Getting back into the hobby, I had no clue on the latest tech.  The Samsung curved monitor I bought was advertised as "great for gaming" but unfortunately I now find out it can't support 4K.  My video card's a 3060ti, so that is definitely not the issue.   Wonder if I splurge for a 4K monitor if I can use my lower res current one as a second unit or if the graphics output defaults to the lower spec unit?

You're welcome, John.  My answer was somewhat curt above as I was in an area with almost no cell signal and wasn't sure it would go through.  But to expand a bit, when you plug in a second monitor to your graphics card, you will need to go into the windows display settings screen and select a few options to "extend" the display.

Assuming you're in windows 10 or 11...

- click the windows button, then click the settings (gear icon) button

- in the "find a setting" box, search for the word extend and it'll find "duplicate or extend to a connected display"

- Look for the "multiple display settings" section and you should be able to select an option to extend your displays.  You'll have to play with them a bit to ensure that they're both running at the resolution you want and that they're acting as independent displays rather than mirroring the same image on both.  It's pretty intuitive.  Worst case, google something like "how to connect a second monitor" and you'll probably be golden.

Enjoy the flying, John!  The Beech 18 and I are currently "in" Charleston, WV.  Next stop is Richmond, VA, then all the busy east coast states.  I'm thinking after I finish all 50 states (only about 15 left), I'll see if I can take the old girl around the world.  :)  Wonder if she's got the legs to get across the Pacific.

Edited by ChuckD

3 hours ago, ChuckD said:

You're welcome, John.  My answer was somewhat curt above as I was in an area with almost no cell signal and wasn't sure it would go through.  But to expand a bit, when you plug in a second monitor to your graphics card, you will need to go into the windows display settings screen and select a few options to "extend" the display.

Assuming you're in windows 10 or 11...

- click the windows button, then click the settings (gear icon) button

- in the "find a setting" box, search for the word extend and it'll find "duplicate or extend to a connected display"

- Look for the "multiple display settings" section and you should be able to select an option to extend your displays.  You'll have to play with them a bit to ensure that they're both running at the resolution you want and that they're acting as independent displays rather than mirroring the same image on both.  It's pretty intuitive.  Worst case, google something like "how to connect a second monitor" and you'll probably be golden.

Enjoy the flying, John!  The Beech 18 and I are currently "in" Charleston, WV.  Next stop is Richmond, VA, then all the busy east coast states.  I'm thinking after I finish all 50 states (only about 15 left), I'll see if I can take the old girl around the world.  :)  Wonder if she's got the legs to get across the Pacific.

Thanks Chuck.   Enjoy the Beech, she's a true classic.  If you are into round engines, you should check out the PMDG DC-6.   I just bought the Milviz Cessna 310 and at first look, it's amazing.   Nice to take a break from flying in the stratosphere on autopilot.   So far, for aftermarket aircraft, I've got the Aerosoft CRJ700, the PMDG 737-700, the Honda Jet (haven't really taken a deep dive into this one but the real jet seems to be a game changer) and the Milviz 310.  

The CRJ is probably my favorite, given that I've flown on the original maybe a hundred times in RL.  It also is mostly flying short segments, which fits my available time requirements nicely (my current favorites are BOS to LGA and PVD to DCA, both of which offer some challenging, hand-flying approaches).  It's also a very simple jet (sim-wise and in RL) to master.   Very interesting to see how many functions on the CRJ are fully automated compared to the 737 "dino-jet".     

If you end up flying up to the NE, feel free to make a stop at my "home" airport, KPYM!