Silver Spitfire 'The Longest Flight'

kkarlsen

I'm trying to revive this build for the LSP Silver Jubilee...

4XcFBPv.jpg

Since I was working on this project, I was pleased to learn that the 'Silver Spitfire' has been based, of all places,

at Billund Airport in Denmark! And the only testpilot we have in Denmark is flying The Silver Spitfire at Airshows both here and abroad.

Cheers: Kent

Good luck. I saw this very close up at one of our Shuttleworth air shows last year. What was really unusual was that as soon as the aeroplane taxied in and shut down, the ground crew (a small support team had travelled by road) started on not just the usual turn-round tasks, but also set to with the polish and cloths.  And when he'd dealt with the paperwork and had the display brief, the pilot joined in. That is the cleanest shiniest aircraft I have ever seen,  and it clearly needs a lot of work to keep it that way!

15 hours ago, kkarlsen said:

Let's see in which direction it's going to go, I've been experimenting with chrome paint and foil...

I recall a modeler (sadly died some years ago) who used SNJ aluminum powder rubbed with a rag over glossy black enamel paint.  The effect was incredible.  He did warn that you had to be careful as to when to rub in the powder; the closer to dry the black undercoat, the more mirror-like the finish, but if you waited too long the finish was too fragile to take any handling.

This is discussed here: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/79375-using-snj-powder-to-create-a-nmf-finish/

Another search led me here:

https://www.c1-models.com/c1-metalizer/

This might work as a substitute for SNJ, which may be hard to find; it appears to use the same method as SNJ.

HTH