Silver Spitfire 'The Longest Flight'

kkarlsen

Although I have a lot of projects lingering in the background, I have decided to move this one 'up the ladder'.

I really wanted to wrestle with this 'Silver Spitfire' when it went around the world in 'The longest flight.

Un31JuK.jpg

But now I have learned that it has come into Danish hands, by Blackbird AIR A/S in Billund. And I also know the danish Pilot who is flying it Casper (PEL)!

BPKSSiT.jpg

At the Danish AIR Show I had the opportunity to watch the presentation of the 'Silver Spitfire'. Completely overshadowing the entire show for me, at least.

YB1JqdW.jpg

A couple of years I was able to secure the decal from Draw Decal fro the Silver Spitfire.

tLl0aOn.jpg

So on to the project, the Revell kit of the Spitfire Mk. IX will be the base kit for this build + the Brassin resin cockpit.

wNsEnMM.jpg

But most of all It will involve trying to recreate the polished aluminium surfaces.

There has also been a few modifications after it has been around the world.

The long range fuel tank has been removed, and I can also see there has been a change of the rudder.

I want to 'backdate' it to when it returning from 'the longest flight' back in 2019.

Casper has promised me to go and have a 'look see' at some point in Billund ;) 

Right now it is back in Chichester at the Goodwood Aerodrome for an overhaul...

Cheers: Kent

So the research of the cockpit has started...

QSPCYp2.jpg

An iPad instead of a Gunsight!

3s9Lf36.jpg

I have no clue what this is but I'm assuming it has something to do with navigation, I can see a Garmin!

75Nbuks.jpg

And.. perhaps I can have a little help here, with the box behind the head armor...

VCY1eRQ.jpg

The long range fuel tank filler modification...

Edited by kkarlsen

55 minutes ago, kkarlsen said:

3s9Lf36.jpg

I have no clue what this is but I'm assuming it has something to do with navigation, I can see a Garmin!

The screen is a Garmin GTN650 GPS/Nav/Comms unit.  The lower Garmin unit is for radio & comms selection.  These units are very commonplace nowadays, and many jurisdictions make these type of things a mandatory fitting.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/606906

Perhaps you can find someone who will make suitable decals for this build, unless you can print them yourself.

Cheers,

Michael

Great scheme for a Spit! I like the grace full lines of the spitfire but I don't like the cammo birds, so I build mostly civil and yellow wings era planes, this one deserves a bare metal foil for finish. Great project!

Starting with the wings:

B8cvbEa.jpg

The bottom wings have had all their shell ejector openings filled in. A couple of bulges has been replicated.

V19Lsty.jpg

Next up the top wing fuel tanks.

4DYmbO4.jpg

The panel with the gun bulge has been replaced with a plain one without any bulges.

h0RmSEh.jpg

The fuel 'cells'

8bKnz3V.jpg

Closeup of the scratched filler caps.

I was lucky enough to catch Spitfire Mk IX MJ271 (G-IRTY) when it was at (relatively) nearby Paine Field in Sept 2019 during the world-round trip. Did not get to see it fly, but was able to spend some time in the hangar while maintenance was being done. Maybe one of my shots will be of some benefit to your project.

Silver-Spitfire-HFF-2019-09-04-5655.jpg

-

Silver-Spitfire-HFF-2019-09-04-5661.jpg

-

Silver-Spitfire-HFF-2019-09-04-5665.jpg

-

Silver-Spitfire-HFF-2019-09-04-5682.jpg

-

Silver-Spitfire-HFF-2019-09-04-5696.jpg

-

Silver-Spitfire-HFF-2019-09-04-5715.jpg

-

Silver-Spitfire-HFF-2019-09-04-5751.jpg

-

Silver-Spitfire-HFF-2019-09-04-5766.jpg

-

Silver-Spitfire-HFF-2019-09-04-5778.jpg

-

Silver-Spitfire-HFF-2019-09-04-5779.jpg

-

Silver-Spitfire-HFF-2019-09-04-5780.jpg

-

Silver-Spitfire-HFF-2019-09-04-5686.jpg

-

Silver-Spitfire-HFF-2019-09-04-5760.jpg

-

Silver-Spitfire-HFF-2019-09-04-5687.jpg

-

Silver-Spitfire-HFF-2019-09-04-5679.jpg

-

Silver-Spitfire-HFF-2019-09-04-5683.jpg

-

Silver-Spitfire-HFF-2019-09-04-5706.jpg

-

Silver-Spitfire-HFF-2019-09-04-5690.jpg

-

Silver-Spitfire-HFF-2019-09-04-5692.jpg

-

Silver-Spitfire-HFF-2019-09-04-5693.jpg

-

Silver-Spitfire-HFF-2019-09-04-5741.jpg

-

And of course a selfie to celebrate the opportunity of photographing such a worthy warbird!

Silver-Spitfire-HFF-2019-09-04-110708.jp

Hopefully something here will be of benefit to you or someone else building a Spitfire project.

11 hours ago, Ol' Scrapiron said:

I was lucky enough to catch Spitfire Mk IX MJ271 (G-IRTY) when it was at (relatively) nearby Paine Field in Sept 2019 during the world-round trip. Did not get to see it fly, but was able to spend some time in the hangar while maintenance was being done. Maybe one of my shots will be of some benefit to your project.

Hopefully something here will be of benefit to you or someone else building a Spitfire project.

Thank you Steve, there's always some detail you can't see clearly. These photos of the 'Silver Spitfire' are going to help me a lot!!

Edited by kkarlsen

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...