Yet another arcane F-4 question: AIM-9 rail color

Just wondering - would the AIM-9 launcher rails on an AF Phantom in SEA scheme have a glossy white finish like the TERs and MERs or the standard underside camo color of flat white-grey?

Here is a F-4E with missiles:

DSC02933.jpg

the AIM-9s are white, the launchers look white compared to the pylon.

edit: here is a top view which has the rails looking like grey:

65675043092_005865_3.jpg

The entire video is here:

https://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675043092_366th-Fighter-Wing_Da-Nang-Air-Base_F-4E-Phantom-II_pilots-prepare-to-take-off

the missile views start at the 4:05 mark.

Jari

Edited by Finn

I was thinking about this last night.  The rails are a common item--so are the pylons. While the AF style pylons came later and would have been painted gray, the rails could certainly be white from an earlier delivery batch.  Very common for maintenance troops to rob parts to meet the flight schedule, which in 67, they most certainly were doing. 

Use some artistic license and do 1 or 2 gray and the others white.  I've seen plenty of USN Phantoms without them mounted on certain sides, largely driven by the availability of the rails, missiles and loadout.

-Peter

22 hours ago, easixpedro said:

I was thinking about this last night.  The rails are a common item--so are the pylons. While the AF style pylons came later and would have been painted gray, the rails could certainly be white from an earlier delivery batch.  Very common for maintenance troops to rob parts to meet the flight schedule, which in 67, they most certainly were doing. 

Use some artistic license and do 1 or 2 gray and the others white.  I've seen plenty of USN Phantoms without them mounted on certain sides, largely driven by the availability of the rails, missiles and loadout.

-Peter

Sounds like sage advice.   Only going to have two rails though.   They were on the pylon with an ECM pod underneath.   The other inner pylon was “rail-less” with just a TER with a M117 hanging off it.  

Edited by John1

Hey Jari,

Not to go OT on this thread... well actually, it's my thread so I think I will -   Speaking of AIM-9 colors, my build will have AIM-9B's (using the Brassin missiles).   Any good quality color pics of operational B's are always appreciated. 

• 4 weeks later...

I've got one last question on F-4 Sidewinder rails (I promise).   Just saw some info and a picture of an early F-4C with an early Sidewinder rail configuration.   In this case, the rails didn't have the "spacers" that moved them a few inches outboard of the pylon (designed so that the AF jets could carry the missiles along with air to ground loads on the pylon).    Instead, these early rails were mounted directly to the pylon (and angled slightly downwards).   I've been googling to find some detailed pictures so I can modify my Tamiya rails but so far, no luck.   Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Regards,

John