Are the high end sprue cutters worth it.

I've tried a bunch of different sprue cutters. My first ones were the basic one made by Tamiya. I still use these for cutting bigger sprues apart. They are beat but still work.   Then Tamiya came out with a thinner bladed version that I found to be easier to handle. I got a pair from Wave that are angled so even easier to get into tight spots. They're single edged as well. Mr Hobby was next up with a smaller single edged cutter. 

Finally I heard about the Dspaie and Meng cutters so bought a pair of those. My first pair worked great until I dropped them and broke one of the blades. So I bought a pair of the Trumpeter ones. I found them to be even better until I dropped those:BANGHEAD2:

So I picked up replacements for both plus an extra Trumpy one.

Dspaie is on the third version of their side cutter now I believe. They keep making changes to them and for a while, you could get the older ones along with the latest version.

Left to right, top row:

Dspaie, Meng, Trumpeter X2, small Tamiya, big Tamiya 

Bottom row:

Mineshima, Wave X2, Mr Tool 

PXL_20220626_190602616-600x450.jpg

Close up of the three I use the most. 

PXL_20220626_192139533.MP-600x450.jpg

One thing I've noticed that the cutters where I can get the flat side just under the edge of the part so the cutting blade is flush with the part cut the cleanest. Often, you can't tell if there's a stub left or not. The Trumpy ones for some reason made that much easier to do. For me anyways. 

Here's a part showing the sprue attachment point. 

PXL_20220626_192808382.MP-600x450.jpg

After trimming it off with the Trumpeter side cutter making a single cut. You can see where the attachment point was but it's completely flush with the surrounding plastic. 

PXL_20220626_192849178-600x450.jpg

Carl

Edited by BloorwestSiR
Fix typo

I'm using the GodHand nippers made in Japan.  Pricy for sure but use them all the time.  They come with a cover over the actual blades.  I always remember to cover up the nippers after using them.  I heard (read on LSP) that if you drop them on a hard surface they can snap a blade tip for sure.  Meng looks similar and perhaps a knock-off of the GodHand.  Nothing cuts closer to the actual part like the GH or Meng.  Love using them for canopy removal.

Troy

8 hours ago, Archer Fine Transfers said:

Wait, a what? 

Hi Woody.

Have a look here:

This not only a cutter. With different heads it can saw, carve resin, etc. Expensive for sure but the very best solution for the very brittle 3d printed resin. 

hth 

Thierry 

3 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

This not only a cutter. With different heads it can saw, carve resin, etc. Expensive for sure but the very best solution for the very brittle 3d printed resin. 

Thanks, looks like quite the useful tool but based on the number of bandages on his fingers I think I'll pass. :lol:

Well, that and the price. :rolleyes: