442 sqd - question

Hello - trying to finish up my tamiya mustang ... I’m doing a 442 squadron Canadian bird ... possibly Y2-H or Y2-T or even ‘Edmonton Special” thanks to Kagemushas kind offer of xtra-decals for the ‘Y2’, although I’d need a new prop for Y2-B.

but in this photo .... behind the exhausts ... it looks like there are some kind of markings? Almost like kill markings ?? But not clear- does anyone know? I want to do  Y2-H but not sure what’s going on there ??

http://www.venturapublications.com/news/publish/442-RCAF-Mustangs.shtml

This was an area of very heavy exhaust staining. These aircraft were hand-me-downs from 154 Sqd RAF so I doubt you are seeing remnants of kill markings. I suspect (and I stand to be corrected) you are seeing an area that has been wiped down, possibly with petrol, causing a discoloration. This  discoloration is present on other aircraft of 442 squadron as well. I have some nice hi-rez piccies I'll send to you off board including an in-flight shot of W/C James Storrar's aircraft in natural metal, JAS KM-232, which shows just how dark the exhaust stains got.

Uploading and posting links through ImageShack is a PITA.

No kill markings or anything painted over. That discoloured area is where the exhaust  glare shields were attached. They were T-shaped aluminum plates that were bolted on for night flying…I’m not kidding. 

There are very few photos of these in place, and they were removed soon after they were installed. Not sure why they were ordered on some Mustangs, but it was very short-lived. When they were removed the paint or aluminum underneath was discoloured. 

I have a couple of photos at home I can post tonight after work. 

Richard

Awesome- how did you know about the ‘T’ plates ? Never heard of that before - but they look like what you’ve described! I’ve been wondering about that photo for a while puzzling over the markings - not that I intend to replicate them (well who knows - that would be one for the aficionados to spot).

After 40 years of researching and looking at Mustangs you learn a few things, and there's always more to discover. ;)

Here is a photo of a 154 Squadron Mustang, with a pilot sitting on the glare shield. It'll give you an idea of the size and position. There would likely have been a fair bit of discolouration too from the exhaust being redirected by the shield. Good view of the louvres too. I have a photo of a 303 Squadron Mustang with the shields but the angle doesn't show it as well.

bolWwrkl.jpg

Here is a 441 Squadron RCAF Mustang III showing the same discolouration after removal of the glare shield. It looks similar to what you see on the Mustang IV Y2-H. 

mrsFGCbh.jpg

And another:

V3VFaUIh.jpg

Hope this helps.

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

well all that matters is ... mystery solved! thanks for the input and photos. You know i recall reading about these shields before - and  now that i think of it i swear i came across an AM product that had the shields ... but i can't recall who or even if it was for the P-51D. I just recall thinking... oh maybe that makes sense for night operations..  ?

• 3 weeks later...