1/32 F-14D Teknics Superset/Tamiya in Trumpeter F-14D? + my kit thoughts

Lightspeed

well my box of work turned up this week Trump F-14D, my true thoughts are........what the hell have i done, mixed with its too late now and some disappointment.

It is true, whatever you read on the Trumpeter kit may be modest as far as this being a box of work, and i can see why some who have applied their hand to this kit have become frustrated with it and i have only given the kit a cursory going over. Could you do oob?, well of course but i personally would feel that is mere assembling to a degree and reminiscent of my modelling when i was a teen, great kits like Academy 1/32 FA-18, Tamiya 1/32 F-14A etc can be assembled without any such work oob.

But this is a box of work, just the way the kit is engineered requires patience, filling, sanding, filing, putty etc owing to the way it comes together in so many segmented parts.

A big disappointment is that Trumpeter have changed the set up of the landing gear in my kit, although advertised on Trumpeter website as metal parts/stems really for the support of the structure in a split shell type outer case the same as the Tamiya old 1/32 kit, they are NOT!!! I will attach a pic.

They are just plastic stems, which begs the question as to why split the cases in the first place, tbh i can see the gear snapping with any side shear movement. I cannot find AM gear in a non Cat set launch profile.

The Cockpit acetate has a huge seam down the centrline, not impressive and overall just assembling the rear stabs required filing the ejectors on the split two piece mouldings for a decent fit. So that is just the starting observations, not a kit for those who may be depleted at the mountian pass needed to be crossed to see it to the end.

Well on with it, so will the Teknics F-14D superset fit the Trumpeter and the answer is yeah but nah. Could you make it fit? Yes, but not without extensive modification as the profile of the two differ greatly dimensionally in length and width. see pics.

So i have canned the idea of modifying the Teknics pit to match, may as well just turn it out of the bay now or take on a Tamiya after this, i cannot say i am in need of two "D" examples though.

For those wanting to know and see for themselves i have attached pics of the Aires versus the Teknics versus the Trumpeter ejector seats for comparison, after seeing them all side by side i have two choices now, buy the Aires pit or dress up the Trump pit as best i can and fit the Aires seats i have, or buy a complete Aires pit and grind off the resin panels to fit 3D IP, i also went ahead and made my mind up over the Red Fox 3D pit set and the new Quintas 3D pit set, i went with the Quintas set, and am trying to get it out of Russia with DHL.

After having to purchase so much AM, i cannot say i am over the moon at the build of this kit, after what looks like now needing a gear set, 3d pit IP, Zacto intakes and pallet correct, Wolfpack pallet set, Brass Vulcan set, Exhaust nozzle set, oh i royally screwed that up didnt i, i bought the open and closed Reskit set thinking i had the option of a complete set of open or closed nozzles, how wrong was i, so had to buy another open and closed set to complete as the "D" variant 110 engines i have read are equal with the exhaust leaves on shutdown not one open and one closed. Then buy some 1/32 GBU's and JDAM's and the AUD price for the build is starting to be completely OOC. I never purchased this box of work with the intent of just making do.

Declined on the only Wolfpack Chinpod i know of as the part is 18 euro and another 20 something euro for postage, seriously i need a lotto win, so its out with the styrene and milliput i guess. Anyway these are decisions we make and each to his own, we will see what i can make from this in the coming months, this will be the most serious build i have ventured on.

Apologies in advance for the poor pics.

Plastic gear centres

20220624-220241.jpg

Top to bottom: Teknics, Aires then Kit part

20220624-221834.jpg

20220624-221923.jpg

20220624-222020.jpg

20220624-223340.jpg

20220624-223733.jpg

Edited by Lightspeed
pic edit

I really wanted to build the Trumpeter Tomcat and picked up a lot of the same AM you have but ultimately decided it was a bit too much. Picking up a couple Tamiya Tomcats with Teknic resin cockpit sets and some other AM for around $100 CAD each sealed the deal for me.  

For replacement gear legs, I found these:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/224990233448?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=p982B1B-Sqq&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=J7xpuL_STvq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

The MLG legs should be ok, but the nose one is in the launch position. Odd that their version for the Tamiya kit is in the standard raised position. 

Carl

just a heads up I am hoping to release these sets in the next few weeks, brass parts are being cast at the moment 

cheers Ali

the design has been tweaked and changed since these pictures, a big one for the Trumpeter set the main undercarriage brass parts now go all the way into the attachment point.

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/93241-132-f-14-undercarriage-sets-for-tamiya-and-trumpeter-kits-now-under-development/

Edited by Ali62

yes that's the only gear set i have found also, the Up Wind set, annoying cat launch position on the front leg, so wings out, slats n flaps deployed i guess?? lol

Well done on the Teknics cockpit finds, with kits thats a bargain all year long. Noty even going to look at my receipts @BloorwestSiR Carl i reckon i have jumped in the deepend here, am gonna need long legs for this one mate, i would say a 4 month build for me in between all my other hobbies and work commitments. lol still cannot settle on a set of decals.

19 minutes ago, Ali62 said:

just a heads up I am hoping to release these sets in the next few weeks, brass parts are being cast at the moment 

cheers Ali

the design has been tweaked and changed since these pictures, a big one for the Trumpeter set the main undercarriage brass parts now go all the way into the attachment point.

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/93241-132-f-14-undercarriage-sets-for-tamiya-and-trumpeter-kits-now-under-development/

@Ali62 i will be needing a set, as soon as you have completed your first batch of production run so i will be watching with interest, i hope the casting goes well, we really need a set that is correct and with reasonable detail, I will not be purchasing a gear set untill i get to see what you have on offer.

Well done for the effort to go to the trouble as Trumpeter have taken a huge step backwards, they are definitely a needed AM part now imho and cheers for the thread link:clap2:

Edited by Lightspeed
addition

3 hours ago, Ali62 said:

cheers Ali

Need 2 sets of these

4 hours ago, BloorwestSiR said:

I really wanted to build the Trumpeter Tomcat and picked up a lot of the same AM you have but ultimately decided it was a bit too much. Picking up a couple Tamiya Tomcats with Teknic resin cockpit sets and some other AM for around $100 CAD each sealed the deal for me.  

For replacement gear legs, I found these:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/224990233448?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=p982B1B-Sqq&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=J7xpuL_STvq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

The MLG legs should be ok, but the nose one is in the launch position. Odd that their version for the Tamiya kit is in the standard raised position. 

Carl

Well-here's a thread at ARC,at the end of discussion someone told these UP are same material as SAC

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/307594-upwind-new-metal-landing-gear-sets/

5 hours ago, BloorwestSiR said:

Carl

Very probably because all the wing mobile surfaces of the Tamiya kit are in neutral/closed position. So that kit is actually made to be built in a parking mode with closed wings.

8 hours ago, Lightspeed said:

you do oob?, well of course but i personally would feel that is mere assembling to a degree and reminiscent of my modelling when i was a teen, great kits like Academy 1/32 FA-18, Tamiya 1/32 F-14A etc can be assembled without any such work oob.

But this is a box of work

My question would be in attacking the Trumpeter kit have ever even looked at the Tamiya kit?

i mean seriously have you?

Half scribed, half raised, decals yes flat 2D decals for the flat cockpit panels.

Hardly an assembly free of work for a result with far less detail oob.

1 hour ago, Darren Howie said:

My question would be in attacking the Trumpeter kit have ever even looked at the Tamiya kit?

i mean seriously have you?

Half scribed, half raised, decals yes flat 2D decals for the flat cockpit panels.

Hardly an assembly free of work for a result with far less detail oob.

Darren, stating facts is not attacking. As stated i have built the Tam 1/32.

Your opinion is noted, thankyou for your contribution.

In all probability the Tamiya late A just needs Aerocraft legs, a Quinta cockpit set, some appealing new decals and a scribing tool. I wish I had gone down that route.

Instead I have the Trumpeter — the cat in a box with a carrying handle — with Zacto inlets (will modify the kit to match rather than irreversibly hack up the lower fuselage), wing fold bladders, Phoenix pallet fronts, Aerocraft legs on the way, two aftermarket decal sets for VF-31, turned metal pitot and AOA spike, and a bunch of other stuff lost to failing memory. It's a suitcase of work. Cost so far? £250 with another £60 envisaged. 

If I could wind the clock back I would buy three 1/48 Tamiya Tomcats for the same £ $ ¥ € and have that joy of modelling feeling. 

Just saying

Tony 

1 hour ago, Tony T said:

If I could wind the clock back I would buy three 1/48 Tamiya Tomcats for the same £ $ ¥ € and have that joy of modelling feeling. 

This has been my quandary as well. If I didn't have the kits already I would go with the new 1/48 ones as well. 

Trumpeter removing metal leg sets from their 1/32 kits (which originally had them) appears to be a common practice now in their 1/32 range and the first awareness you get is the instructions inside the box having a small sticker strategically placed over the metal parts illustration on the instruction sheet.

Go for any older kits second hand and in good condition if you want the metal legs which are often all but essential.

Gary

16 hours ago, Tony T said:

In all probability the Tamiya late A just needs Aerocraft legs, a Quinta cockpit set, some appealing new decals and a scribing tool. I wish I had gone down that route.

Instead I have the Trumpeter — the cat in a box with a carrying handle — with Zacto inlets (will modify the kit to match rather than irreversibly hack up the lower fuselage), wing fold bladders, Phoenix pallet fronts, Aerocraft legs on the way, two aftermarket decal sets for VF-31, turned metal pitot and AOA spike, and a bunch of other stuff lost to failing memory. It's a suitcase of work. Cost so far? £250 with another £60 envisaged. 

Just saying

Tony 

Yes  Tony i feel your pain, so far my Kit all up is well into the $600 Aud range somewhere, and it is a large project to take on both financially and build time considering the AM adaptions and extra detailing work to justify the build to oursselves.

The cost for me while annoying is a personal choice, it is not my intention to go halfway and although i would love a Trumpeter F-14A variant to display along side the D the first and last variants, i do not think realistically i will invest that far in seeking out the AM again for the Trumpeter kit, i would be more inclined to build the Tamiya 1/32 and invest only in the necessary AM for cockpit etc, while the scribing matter is just time, and again a major work to correct, i feel i would still lean the Tamiya direction if not alone for the financial investment needed.

I will do my best to dress up the Trump kit and am awaiting my DACO book for further research references, so the build is going to take quite some time, i did get a pile of Alclad products to assist with 20% off the range and also Mr Colour laquers again at 20% savings. More of an investment into other builds down the road so i cannot allocate these expenses simply to the Trump kit and am looking forward to experimenting with the airbrush with these laquers and finish effect possibilities.

Am going to try the Armoured glass finish too on the forward cockpit screen.

One thing i have noted is the extreme weathering some modellers apply, which does surprise me, i am not in any way taking away from their skill in creating these effects as they are incredible in that respect, but in all honesty they are weathered to the extreme for 1/32 and look like they would fall into 100 pieces on a cat shot, no pilot in his right mind would dare to fly them if it were a real fire-breathing Cat.

I worked around jet aircraft for over 7 years as an air transport engineer liasing with the RAAF and Civil and Emergency service aviation operators for airshows etc at my local airport, i have never seen any rotary wing, fast mover military or civil with such extreme weathering profiles lol.

Anyway thats a huge digression and there is a mountain in my pathway that i will overcome now, we will see where we end up at the end and see if the build is worth posing here.

Kind Regards

Ben.

I'm going down the same route Ben. Everything necessary to build the (VF-31) Trumpeter F-14D, along with a — although it may get done first — (VF-111 probably) Tamiya F-14A with just the aforementioned legs, Quinta seat and cockpit sets, new decals and lots of scribing. The latter will be done calmly, carefully over a couple of months here and there aided by a couple of glasses of whiskey.

And I agree about the overdone weathering. Some stains and multi-toning over grey primer doesn't go amiss, but restraint yields more realism.  

Tony