Next Kotaré kit after Spitfire ??? ...

MikeMaben

13 hours ago, ringleheim said:

It does nothing for me either, just like the Mosquito...a kit that sold so poorly it scared Tamiya away from 1/32 aircraft forever....apparently.

I thought that was maybe because it was ridiculously over engineered and cost the price of a decent racer bike !

Thanks

jon 

3 hours ago, mozart said:

Just after VE Day the first semi-naval Sea Hornet PX 212 arrived at the RAE, Farnborough. Eric Brown initiated "work-up to deck-landing" trials. 37 years later, he was still impressed:

"...the next two months of handling and deck landing assessment trials were to be an absolute joy; from the outset the Sea Hornet was a winner!""The view from the cockpit, positioned right forward in the nose beneath a one-piece aft-sliding canopy was truly magnificent. The Sea Hornet was easy to taxi, with powerful brakes... the takeoff using 25 lb (2,053 mm Hg, 51" Hg) boost and flaps at one-third extension was remarkable! The 2,070 hp (1,540 kW) Merlin 130/131 engines fitted to the prototypes were to be derated to 18 lb (1,691 Hg, 37" Hg) boost and 2,030 hp (1,510 kW) as Merlin 133/134s in production Sea Hornets, but takeoff performance was to remain fantastic. Climb with 18 lb boost exceeded 4,000 ft/min (1,200 m/min)"..."In level flight the Sea Hornet's stability about all axes was just satisfactory, characteristic, of course, of a good day interceptor fighter. Its stalling characteristics were innocuous, with a fair amount of elevator buffeting and aileron twitching preceding the actual stall"..."For aerobatics the Sea Hornet was absolute bliss. The excess of power was such that manoeuvres in the vertical plane can only be described as rocket-like. Even with one propeller feathered the Hornet could loop with the best single-engine fighter, and its aerodynamic cleanliness was such that I delighted in its demonstration by diving with both engines at full bore and feathering both propellers before pulling up into a loop!"

WyfDxF.png

Quite remarkable for such an ungainly aircraft. :P

Sprightly but devoid of the new jet age systems and therefore quite dull to me, although I'm glad for those who like it. Possibly three kits now, so spoiled for choice. 

I believe Kotare would do well to stick to known sellers like the Spitfire and get the surface features just-so. Little in common with a BoB era Spitfire, but I'd love a low back Griffon Spit done to their exacting finish and cockpit detail. With the mid-Mk.I it would nicely sandwich the Tamiya V, IXc and 16e. 

And while not crazy about the type, I do believe a quality Korean War era F-86 would sell very well. Yes I'd buy one, as I would a 1/32 Tamiya Judy or Grumman Duck, even though they're not wish list items. 

Tony

17 hours ago, vince14 said:

Wow, three pages already for what is essentially a 'I know a bloke down the pub who knows the Queen' story. Kotare are truly the heirs to WNW.

Don't forget the Wellington bomber that crashed on the moon ( although there was speculation it could have been a Warwick) and the U boat that surfaced in Loch Ness with submariners spotted in the local Chippy, apparently modellers present were arguing about the accuracy of their uniforms, the crew were more interested in their fish suppas 

Sorry folks, had a silly moment.

Jon 

14 hours ago, ringleheim said:

It does nothing for me either, just like the Mosquito...a kit that sold so poorly it scared Tamiya away from 1/32 aircraft forever....apparently.

Has Tamiya said this, or is it just rumour? 

The multi-part flattened plastic tyres should have been replaced by simple vinyl rubber ones for the kids (and me), at least one engine deleted from the build process, and optional night-fighter noses, propeller blades and wheel hubs offered so there was multiple fighter variant choice where it mattered.

IMO the Tamiya Mosquito kit was over-engineered (meaning an excessive parts break-down) making it more expensive than necessary and something borderline unbuildable in terms of the work v joy curves crossing too early in the timeline. Mine's untouched as just looking at the box contents freaks me out. And I, too, doubt we'll see anything new in 1/32 scale from Tamiya for a very long time.

What appeals to me about the Kotare Spitfire is detail where visible and omitted where it cannot be seen. Yep. Maybe the Hornet appeals to Kotare for similar reasons, not least of which is a far less complex surface finish.

Tony 

Personally i hope that Kontare go the 'Axis' route next. A new modern tooling of a Fw190 D9 to replace the Hasegawa(Revell) kit would be greatly received imho.

1 hour ago, Tony T said:

Has Tamiya said this, or is it just rumour? 

The multi-part flattened plastic tyres should have been replaced by simple vinyl rubber ones for the kids (and me), at least one engine deleted from the build process, and optional night-fighter noses, propeller blades and wheel hubs offered so there was multiple fighter variant choice where it mattered.

IMO the Tamiya Mosquito kit was over-engineered (meaning an excessive parts break-down) making it more expensive than necessary and something borderline unbuildable in terms of the work v joy curves crossing too early in the timeline. Mine's untouched as just looking at the box contents freaks me out. And I, too, doubt we'll see anything new in 1/32 scale from Tamiya for a very long time.

What appeals to me about the Kotare Spitfire is detail where visible and omitted where it cannot be seen. Yep. Maybe the Hornet appeals to Kotare for similar reasons, not least of which is a far less complex surface finish.

Tony 

Thank you Tony - my very point !

jon

On a more serious note, since this thread has “dirt roaded” into a wish list (amongst other things), I’ll add my humble suggestion - instead of a pretty much irrelevant subject for their second kit, I personally wish they would have offered up a Beaufighter (ideally a Mk X).  That’s a truly relevant subject that really deserves to be released at the quality level of Kotare.    

Surely a license to print money!

3 hours ago, AlanG said:

Personally i hope that Kontare go the 'Axis' route next. A new modern tooling of a Fw190 D9 to replace the Hasegawa(Revell) kit would be greatly received imho.

Zoukei Mura have one planned.

I personally think the Hornet is a most elegant aircraft, and WnW's proved you can create a market if your product is excellent.