Next Kotaré kit after Spitfire ??? ...

MikeMaben

From another Forum :

Tuesdays IPMS meeting in Aukland :

"One of our members (Who shall remain unnamed, who is closely involved with Kotare Models, but was not Richard!) was at Tuesday's meeting and during the general discussion let it be known that, should their upcoming Spitfire Ia kit be a success, one of their next projects is proposed to be a 1/32 De Havilland Hornet or Sea Hornet (At the moment undecided which or both! This is the first public announcement regarding future projects I know of."

Hmmm ....

Like buses then.

personally I'd like a slightly earlier or later De Havilland (like a Mosquito NF.30, Vampire T.11 or Venom/Sea Venom), but happy for those who didn't want the resin HpH and aren't sure the DBMK will be the dog's doodars. 

Tony

Absolutely tantalising stuff. I would certainly be interested in a Hornet/ Sea Hornet. And hats off to them for considering such an under represented subject particularly in 1/32. Oh well lets just hope that Spit 1a sells well for them. :rolleyes:

jon

I actually forgot all about this kit.   Is it me or has this company been radio silent for quite a while now?   Seemed that there was an initial flurry of info / pictures and then nothing.   

1 hour ago, John1 said:

I actually forgot all about this kit.   Is it me or has this company been radio silent for quite a while now?   Seemed that there was an initial flurry of info / pictures and then nothing.   

Could be but I feel it’s us. The gas bag engine of what if speculation has been quiet.  LOL

It always amuses me :lol: when a company announces / discusses a new kit how modellers immediately jump on it and put forward their own wants. They do not take these decisions lightly and at the end of the day have to pay their bills not us. The world doesn't need another 109F. I would imagine the Spit will be fab there isn't a good one around in 1/32. And as said the Hornet is a great idea. 

I can see why people especially British Airplane fans would want this plane, however this looks like a kit they should do down the road, not as their second kit.  I do not think this is going to be a big seller in 1/32.  I certainly am not an expert, but I had to look this up as I had never heard of it.  That says to me that most casual airplane fans are not going to even know what this plane is.  I know we have a lot of modelers on this forum and elsewhere that are big fans of lesser known aircraft.  Airplane modelers are more apt also to be drawn to a plane just because they find it attractive.  Airplanes have that quality about them.  However that does not give a kit a broad market, just being an attractive or interesting plane.  Even not going the Tamiya route, this plane will be a tough kit to make money on.  Not saying it is not worthy, just I hope they do some more mainstream subjects to get the money coming in before they commit to this one.

3 hours ago, John1 said:

It’s you. Kotare posted an update on their FB page on May 27th. Spitfire Mk.Ia still on track for release later this year, but persistent supply chain issues, etc. prevent them from being more specific. 

Adam

17 minutes ago, cbk57 said:

I can see why people especially British Airplane fans would want this plane, however this looks like a kit they should do down the road, not as their second kit.  I do not think this is going to be a big seller in 1/32.  I certainly am not an expert, but I had to look this up as I had never heard of it.  That says to me that most casual airplane fans are not going to even know what this plane is.  I know we have a lot of modelers on this forum and elsewhere that are big fans of lesser known aircraft.  Airplane modelers are more apt also to be drawn to a plane just because they find it attractive.  Airplanes have that quality about them.  However that does not give a kit a broad market, just being an attractive or interesting plane.  Even not going the Tamiya route, this plane will be a tough kit to make money on.  Not saying it is not worthy, just I hope they do some more mainstream subjects to get the money coming in before they commit to this one.

Agree 100%. I am a member of several clubs and prior to C19, attended also lots of model shows both domestic and abroad and I have never once heard anyone say - "What we need is a 1/32 Sea Hornet". Likewise and prior to this announcement, any calls for it in magazines or online either. It is such a niche subject that even if it goes together like Lego, how many people will be paying £100 /$135+ for a subject like this just to go in the stash, for many, as a curio kit..? Also, all those saying "great" and a 'must buy" today, how many say 12-24 months hence when it is all tooled up and on the market will then actually pull the trigger and buy one when it is time to press 'Pay' on PP or reach for the credit card?

I also think this site which has many experienced and highly skilled modellers and some of whom are into esoteric subjects even I have never heard of despite being in the hobby 50 years or so, are not representative of the wider hobby and buying market for kits. 

I know as well that many if not most modellers (myself included) are recently being much more circumspect in what we buy as both the disposable income diminishes along with the time which remains to build them all or even, a mere fraction of the stash in the case of many; myself included. As such, I think manufacturers will also be acutely aware of this too and whilst any new 'safe' releases may attract rolls of eyes and a chorus of 'boring!' in some quarters, not many companies will be taking big financial risks with subjects as the world moves towards global recession.

Given this, the goals are wide open for Kotare or another quality manufacturer to do a (correct) 1/32 P-51B/C or an equally good 'banker' of a Spit Vb or, a Korea War era F-86 Sabre for the jet boys if we are playing the 'commercial success' game. The last suggestion would certainly make my day!

Gary

1 hour ago, cbk57 said:

I understand your points above cdk57. But what are they meant to do ! there are plenty of commoner choices already covered some several times over. So manufacturers are to some degree between a rock and a hard place. Common subject redone, more expensive - people complain, esoteric subject little known - doesn't sell. Thats why I think the Hornet would be a good choice because it might fall between the two, even though I understand it wouldn't be popular in the US. I also think the US market has been well catered for a long time, due to its size of course. 

Thanks

jon