Bf 109G-2 9/JG 54, Russia

bsarnoffca

An overall shot. Once all the engine and pieces fit okay I'll paint the airframe with engine out then install it afterward. I learned a lesson from my Hawk 75....make sure everything with the engine fits before I start painting.

post-4-1144794115_thumb.jpg

holy ****! thats what i call an engine. wow! this work is great great great! so clean painting. i cant find words. i really like what i see. the MG is very good, too but against that great engine it gets lost to my eye.

what kind of black did you use for the engine?

i am stunned! completely!

cheers klaus

That was quick Klaus. Thanks much. The engine is painted Polly S black then coated with Polly S flat. Makes for a very durable finish. The engine is so well egineered by Vincent that it's hard not to do a good job. Also I agree with Radu that this kit is also very well engineered. Everything fits just perfect.

yes i agree. the bf 109 from hasegawa virtually falls together. but its not the detailkit that impresses me so much. its your painting. ofcourse the resin engine seems to be excellent and i would go for the same one seeing yours.

poly s paints.... are they acrylics or enamel. man... i cant buy another brand of colors. i already have testors, gunze, tamiya, vallejo, alklad II and even some revell and humbrol stuff.

i was particulary asking about the color because the center part of the bmw 003 engine i am doing is black as well. i dont think i should basecoat it black because then all washings will be non visible. i do not use drybrushing alot and so washings are my favourit weathering technic. maybe i just brighten up gunze semigloss black with some skintone or blue.

cheers klaus

ps: if you have got any more pics..... SHOW THEM! please.

Thanks again, Klaus. The engine bearers and water tank are Verlinden and while the resin isn't bad it's not the quality of MDC. Takes a bit of sanding and priming to get a nice finish.

Polly S are acrylic. Yes, mine is too dark to do much oil staining but I can dry brush it some to bring out the details. I suppose you should use a dark grey for the 003 to show up the stains.

I don't have any more pics but soon I will finish the engine plumbing and start painting the airframe. Then I'll take more photos.

i would leave hands off from any drybrushing. the result you have now looks very good and real. drybrushing will easily make it look like a modell again.

i hope i can get similar results in realism on my bmw 003.

cheers klaus

Beautiful work mate. Absolutely lovely. I'm dying to get my hands on my 109's I have three to build right after the corsair, if it is ever finished. I would however just drybrush the engine a bit to bring out more the tiny details like the bolts etc which I feel are a bit lost at the moment. Just my opinion mind you. But the engine is so beautifully detailed that is is a pity not to see it all.

Guest LSP_Jay L

Looking spectacular Bill! This is coming along very nicely mate.

I may have a comprimise with regards to the drybrushing thing. I agree with Klaus in the sense that most times Drybrushing does indeed make it look like a model, so I have begun picking out detail with weathering pigments. I use "light dust" from CMK in their "Stardust" range, and it works perfectly fo me. You may want to give it a try. By applying it very, very lightly it gives a very subdued effect, while bringing up the detail very effectively.

Cheers mate,

Jay