Bf 109G-2 9/JG 54, Russia

bsarnoffca

Thanks guys.

I found a 9/JG54 emblem on an old 1/48 decal sheet. It will be a little small but since this will be an "undocumented" aircraft....who's to say this guy didn't have a smaller version. All the other emblems can can be found on Eagle Cals sheets. I probably have some spare 9/54 emblems and can send them to you if you like.

Both the green and tan don't appear to be RLM colors. You can find other photo examples of JG/54 Bf109's and Fw 190A's where the colors are side by side with 02 and RLM greens and they're different. There are many theories about JG54 colors but mine is they're custom mixed.....who's to say?

Hi Brian

I cannot promise results, but if you can email me a scan of the emblem, I can try developing a larger decal for you. If it works, then great, I'll send you them and I'll have learned more of the process. If it doesnt, no biggie.

This is a very nice scheme, and deserves to be done right, dont you think?

Allright, I'm game. It will be excellent practice for a later project anyways for me. Any preferences from the above pix? Of course I'll tweak colours and so on, so dont worry about that.

It will all take a while,a couple of weeks perhaps.You in a hurry?

Hi Brian

Found some time today to draw, so I did this one, which is a variation of one of the badges I found, so it's unique. If you like it I'll go ahead with it.

We just have to agree with the height in 1:32. I figure it at about 15.5mm. How about you?

Also check if the colours are OK. They are not specific colours, just guesstimates until coolness was achieved :blink:

post-4-1142617334_thumb.jpg

Both the green and tan don't appear to be RLM colors. You can find other photo examples of JG/54 Bf109's and Fw 190A's where the colors are side by side with 02 and RLM greens and they're different. There are many theories about JG54 colors but mine is they're custom mixed.....who's to say?

I've read that field applications were often a combination of RLM colors.

Add a little 02 to the 71, a little 71 to the 70...

M

M

...you get the idea.

Beautiful work, Piet. It will certainly make the model. I have the Aero Detail Bf109G book and I'm going to enlarge the aircraft drawings (which show all the rivets) to 1/32 so that I can add rivet lines to the model. I can make you a set iif you'd like.

Top work Piet...is that an ink jet with decal paper?

Bill...109 Lair has rivet diagrams for lots of models and submodels of 109G's and K's. I really like the colour scheme you've chosen. Just another reason for an F new tool model...so many colourful schemes to choose from.

Cheers Matt

Hasegawa probably will build an F.....sooner the better! I've checked the Lair and it's a great resource. The Aero Detail books are also fantastic as a resource. I'm planning a Fw190A after this and I'm definitely going to order Detail #6.

Top work Piet...is that an ink jet with decal paper?

Yup, ink jet on white decal paper. I am getting laser paper now also, and will have my sheets printed out at a shop on a proper laser printer, because I sometimes struggle to avoid running of the ink on the ink jet paper. It's OK for big stuff, but useless for small things like placards and dial faces.

Brian, no worries mate. I have G-2 plans a-plenty. The decals are on the house, one LSP'er to another. I have learned a new trick or two doing this, which will help in the future. It would be an honour to see them on your kit. When I've tested some this week I'll let you know and get the addy and stuff.