SA Bulldog 1/48 Tarangus

RadBaron

Finally regaining control of my Flickr account means I can start posting again, wahoo!

This one was part of a private group build of all things RAF. Be that I like my trainers, the Bulldog fits the bill nicely. 

The kit is typical of short-run fare. The delicate scribed panel lines were almost all obliterated by the copious amounts of filling and sanding needed.

A LOT of nose wight is required to keep from being a tail-sitter, I filled the nose with lead shot, and made a new nose gear leg from brass tube to keep the kit supplied plastic one from collapsing. 

The paint scheme came straight from the box, the kit decals worked nicely. 

Fun little build, now if only I could get my hands on Tarangus' Saab Safir!

Denzil.

Nose weight for days!

received_1325098587938495

Arado 96 for scale. 

received_528156858876668

received_509366490569966

received_361697555866960

received_647071833051925

On 6/22/2022 at 1:04 PM, MikeC said:

Nicely done. :goodjob: 

On 6/22/2022 at 3:21 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

Now that looks nice! I could almost be tempted by one of those myself, though it would be an ideal size for 1/32 scale.

Kev

On 6/24/2022 at 3:33 AM, MARU5137 said:

Denzil,

Quite a Cool and RESPLENDENT  model.

:goodjob:...  :wow:

Thanks guys! It adds a bit of colour to the cabinet!

received_653671859232470

@LSP_Kevin it would be a fantastic subject in 1/32, even in 1/48 it's on the small side!

Denzil

Indeed.

I have a couple of Tarangus Bulldogs that I'm building for friends (their aeroplanes).

I have a share in a Chipmunk (profile pic) - and one of my best buddies owns a Bulldog that I've spent a lot of time in and around - so I'm a little biased on both subjects...

Iain

The Bulldog is a delightful aeroplane - very sturdy and has been great for touring (and great photo-ship with that big canopy) - but doesn't have the handling/control delicacy of the Chippy IMHO.

That said - I'm still converting to the Chipmunk/tail-dragger rating - so I'll be able to comment better when (if!) converted!  :piliot:

Our Chipmunk is a little different in that its a Lycoming O-360 Powered 'SuperMunk' - so a bootful of right rudder needed on take-off - rather than left rudder...  :)

Iain

1 hour ago, RadBaron said:

I wish I'd gotten my hands on a couple of these!

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/reviews/review.php?rid=1629

As it happens, the one I reviewed there turned out to be the only production kit Robin ever got around to producing, so it's one of a kind. I still have it, and still intend to build it. Robin informed me quite some time ago that he decided to remaster the kit anyway, and improve quite a lot of the parts. He even sent me some photos, but I'm not sure what the status of the project is these days.

Kev

23 hours ago, Iain said:

The Bulldog is a delightful aeroplane - very sturdy and has been great for touring (and great photo-ship with that big canopy) - but doesn't have the handling/control delicacy of the Chippy IMHO.

That said - I'm still converting to the Chipmunk/tail-dragger rating - so I'll be able to comment better when (if!) converted!  :piliot:

Our Chipmunk is a little different in that its a Lycoming O-360 Powered 'SuperMunk' - so a bootful of right rudder needed on take-off - rather than left rudder...  :)

She's one smart looking ship! With the O360 they REALLY love to climb! Enjoy, I bet she's a blast :D

23 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

As it happens, the one I reviewed there turned out to be the only production kit Robin ever got around to producing, so it's one of a kind. I still have it, and still intend to build it. Robin informed me quite some time ago that he decided to remaster the kit anyway, and improve quite a lot of the parts. He even sent me some photos, but I'm not sure what the status of the project is these days.

Kev

Thats a shame, It seemed to really show promise!

Edited by RadBaron