Converting the 1/16 Tamiya RC Full Option Tiger I early to a Tiger I mid - production

ironman1945

On 6/21/2022 at 7:29 PM, LSP_Ray said:

I figured you probably did. I am planning on going the other way, detailing the Tamiya Tiger as an early one, trying to match Bovington's Red 131, as I have seen that one in person. Tamiya, as you know, includes the decals for it in the kit, but some of the details are wrong. I found the initial type of Feifel air cleaners on Shapeways.

Did you get the mega Aber set for the Tamiya kit?

Hi Ray, sorry for the delayed response. Been away from the bench, busy with work and coaching football. No, I decided against the Aber set... nice, but since this is going to be an running RC tank, I'm thinking all that photoetch will be too fragile... found that out with my earlier 1/16 Israeli M51 Super Sherman. Some of the work I put into the Sherman broke off the first time I ran it outside. Must be robust!

Dave/Ironman1945

Gents

A quick update. Progress has been slow with the zimmerit.  Its a tedious process, but satisfying with each small bit of work. Here is a pic of the 1st side I've been working on. I've only been doing 2 or 4 rows a session. Slowly but surely I'll get there!

20220722_223251

Cheers, and only 48 days till the start of the NFL 2022 regular season... Wahoo!

Dave/Ironman1945

• 3 weeks later...

Summer has slowed the build down a bit. More time outside. And, of course, the start of another high school football season ... summer camp starts in 2 weeks!

Along with the ongoing application of zimm.... I've been looking at the turret changes needed from a Tiger I early to a Tiger I mid.

So far, I've managed to move the ventilator fan from the rear to the middle of the turret top, and I've removed the early commander's cupola in preparation for the 3d printed cast/late item.

20220813_123110 20220813_123102

Hoping to finish hull zimm in the next week . Then on to the turret.

Cheers. And yesssss the NFL regular season begins in 26 days!

Dave/Ironman1945

On 6/20/2022 at 6:22 PM, ironman1945 said:

Hey Juggernaut

Already been scoping out the differences over the last 2 months. Cast cupola, gun travel lock on the rear deck, new arrangement for the track cable on the left side, turret pistol port differences, omission of the air filters, air filter cover plate, relocation of tools on the rear to name a few.  

What I have found really helpful is the MMiR special volume on building the Tiger I. Goes into detail, with diagrams, of all the changes for each time frame.

Originally I wanted to make a Tiger I late production, but that would have involved so many more changes, I settled on the mid-production version as being an easier build.

Hi Ironman1945

I additionally recommend to have a look on this site so you can even determine a specific production lot for your model.  

http://www.alanhamby.com/tiger.html

For example the external travel look  was just installed between Nov. 1943 till February 1944.

Production changes are nicely listed here:

http://www.alanhamby.com/changes.shtml

Cheers,

Nils

• 1 month later...

Its been a grind, adding zimmerit to the hull, been slowly doing sections at a time. Tedious, yet results are worth it. Here are some shots of the hull after completion of the zim.

20221016_153435 20221016_153507 20221016_153521

Having done that, on with the turret!

20221016_153307

Cheers, hope everyone is well, and more as it progresses.

Dave/Ironman1945

• 1 month later...

Hi all. Latest update. Finally finished the Zimmerit.... that was a long job.  Running gear attached, tracks on. Turret mods coming along, cupola and periscope guard added with associated weld beads. Ventilator cover moved from early location at back of turret to just beside the cupola.

20221124_200520 20221124_200209 20221124_200733

Started work converting/modifying the back of the chassis to a mid production configuration as per MMIR's Tiger book. I've added the rear fender holders but will likely not add any of the fenders. I just prefer the way a Tiger I looks without any of the fenders attached.

20221124_200240

Thats all for now.  Hopefully I'll get time over the holidays to make more progress.

Cheers Everyone!

Dave/Ironman1945

• 4 weeks later...

A bit more progress. Now begins the task of moving all of the tools, tow cables, etc to match the configuration for a mid - production Tiger. Thankfully its all pretty well laid out in the MMIR Guide to the Tiger Tank. You can see where I've filled in the original locating holes for the tools. More tedious sanding... oh well.  

20221217_204926

Rear plate, pegs are new holders for for a relocated C shaped tow hook

20221217_205024

Finally, managed to install the electronics and take her for a test drive  minus turret rotation and gun recoil. Runs great, and engine sounds are sweet!

Cheers, more to follow.

Dave/Ironman1945

6 hours ago, LSP_Ron said:

Looking good but I think you have the track tension way too tight. I appears to need a little sag.

10 Facts About the Tiger Tank | History Hit

Hi Ron. Yes, as it sits now the track tension is too tight compared to the real thing, but its set as recommended by Tamiya in their instructions, to start with. Being an RC model with plastic tracks I would think the tension in the end wont resemble what it is in real life. Once built I plan to run it around to see how the recommended tension holds up, and its easy enough to adjust since the tension  is adjustable on the bottom of the hull by use of 2 screws. Cheers!

Edited by ironman1945