Converting the 1/16 Tamiya RC Full Option Tiger I early to a Tiger I mid - production

ironman1945

Hey everyone. Happy Father's day!  

Having really enjoyed building and converting Tamiya's 1/16 M-51 Sherman (you can see it in the link at the end if your interested ) I decided to jump in right away with converting

the Tiger I early to a mid-production version. Here's where I currently sit with it.

IMG_20201129_122647

Lower hull running gear assembled and painted.

20220619_165139[1]

Got to spend the day starting with the addition of zimmerit

20220619_165502[1]

20220619_165433[1]

So far so good.  Here is a photo of the mid-production Tiger I I am looking at marking this kit as, 331, timeframe of May-June 1944 in Normandy.

Tiger_tank_number_331_of_Schwere_SS-Panzer-Abteilung_101_France_1944

Cheers, have a great day!

Dave/Ironman1945

Edited by ironman1945

There's a LOT of differences between the early Tiger I and the Mid-Production variant, notably the cast cupola.  If you want to know what those differences are, visit David Byrden's website and look at around.  There's also a very good Doyle & Jentz volume on the Tiger I, Germanys Tiger Tanks, D.W. to Tiger I.  The book provides a  timeline of which production versions got which details and others that were omitted and when.

Edited by Juggernut

58 minutes ago, Juggernut said:

There's a LOT of differences between the early Tiger I and the Mid-Production variant, notably the cast cupola.  If you want to know what those differences are, visit David Byrden's website and look at around.  There's also a very good Doyle & Jentz volume on the Tiger I, Germanys Tiger Tanks, D.W. to Tiger I.  The book provides a  timeline of which production versions got which details and others that were omitted and when.

Hey Juggernaut

Already been scoping out the differences over the last 2 months. Cast cupola, gun travel lock on the rear deck, new arrangement for the track cable on the left side, turret pistol port differences, omission of the air filters, air filter cover plate, relocation of tools on the rear to name a few.  

What I have found really helpful is the MMiR special volume on building the Tiger I. Goes into detail, with diagrams, of all the changes for each time frame.

Originally I wanted to make a Tiger I late production, but that would have involved so many more changes, I settled on the mid-production version as being an easier build.

1 hour ago, Juggernut said:

Ah yes, the MMIR treatise on the Tiger...I too have that volume and forgot about it until you mentioned it.  It is a good, quality reference.

MMIR?

When looking at the side view of your chassis, you see the large gap between the idler axle and the hull.  Schumo used to make a nylon bushing to take up the space, (and thereby saving your idler axle from being bent as much and eventually breaking).  I see one advertised to let you know what I'm talking about here:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/144610310693?hash=item21ab723a25:g:o6AAAOSwg3ViWgrS  Give me a day or two to root around in my parts boxes, because I might have an extra set to send you; if I do, they're yours.  -Mike

28 minutes ago, sassgrunt said:

All right!  I was able to find the extra set I had squirreled away for a rainy day.  I'll send you a PM for your address, and get them out to you in the next day or two.  -Mike

Awfully kind of you. Replied to your PM. And please let me know what the cost is, so I can pay you for them.

Cheers!

Dave/Ironman1945

I got your address, and should be able to get them out to you by Wednesday.  Noting needed  from you at all - the Tamiya kit is really a lot of fun to make your own, and these are a small bit of insurance to avoid a potential headache later on. Happy to help - just pay it forward if you get the chance.  That's what makes our hobby great for everyone.

9 hours ago, Cheetah11 said:

Hi Dave

Do you need a file?  STL format. A rough test print in PLA that I hope to do in future in HIPS with a higher resolution.

ECDB0-A44-F09-A-432-B-8760-2-EE8-D3-BC6-

I also have a crude one of the hub. under paint it looks fine.

32-E8-C4-D3-65-DB-4-ED5-AE8-B-DA4-D0-B87

Cheers

Nick

Hey Nick. Those look fantastic. I've already sourced a cast cupola... you've got me really thinking about that hub though, looks sharp!  Not sure if its appropriate for  ref pics I am going off of, will have to check. Cheers!

Dave/Ironman1945

1 hour ago, LSP_Ray said:

You have probably already checked this out, but Shapeways has several late Tiger I items. Pretty expensive, though.

Hey Ray

Thanks for the recommendation. Yes, I have looked there, and the only item I ordered was a replacement cupola.

Other items are very nice but as you said, kind of pricey!

Cheers

Dave/Ironman1945

I figured you probably did. I am planning on going the other way, detailing the Tamiya Tiger as an early one, trying to match Bovington's Red 131, as I have seen that one in person. Tamiya, as you know, includes the decals for it in the kit, but some of the details are wrong. I found the initial type of Feifel air cleaners on Shapeways.

Did you get the mega Aber set for the Tamiya kit?