3D Modeling Help Request - Japanese Character Use

Juggernut

14 minutes ago, Juggernut said:

It sure helps!  Thanks for the tutorial.  What character font did you use for the “T-38 tires are great” ?  I may have to get that font if it’s not already on my system (which I don’t think it is) and it’s Japanese.

I have about two dozen that are part of my system/adobe font drop down.  I just chose a big font.  If you don't have anything installed try here:

Adobe Japanese Fonts

Remember you need to get the Hiragana and Kanji from a keyboard or as, I use, google translate.

Edited by Timmy!

Timmy! has been a gigantic help to me in creating these A6M tires!  Were it not for his input, advice and guidance, I'd still be lagging out of the starting gate.  Now I have a clear path forward and have a good idea on how to accomplish what I need.  I cannot thank him enough.

I did have to subscribe to the latest edition of Adobe Illustrator though....no big deal there, as I spend the annual cost in models anyway, so I'll just be buying a couple (at least one) less per year.

Edited by Juggernut

Well, the first experiment went - so-so....  The Tamiya parts E68 and E69 fit into the wheel just fine with one teensey-weensey issue...the hub halves did not meet; meaning the tire was too thick where the hub meets the tire.  So, not to be deterred, I discovered that the way I originally created the wheel doesn't work and set out to find a better way!  Hello YouTube!  I found a good video of a guy creating a bicycle tire (and rim) and used that method to create an entirely new tire that I hope, will fit.  I only used the tire portion of the video....  Below is the result of my latest creation (muwhahahaha...evil laugh - I know, corny but WTH).  You may be able to see slight differences between the tire above and the one in this post...this tire has a sidewall bulge in it (looks better I think).  On the down side, I had to destroy one of my kit tires to get a suitable cross-section to trace but I have other plans for that kit that don't require wheels (or landing gear for that matter) and it's not an A6M2-N (Rufe).  Anyway, comments welcome as always.

Thanks!

r46Yzho.png

Edited by Juggernut

Here's the first draft (actually it's the third but who's counting?) of the wheel 3D resin printed.  I needed to make the text a little larger because it wouldn't print at the size it was....  At least now, it's legible (with a magnifying glass in my case - LOL).  While you can see the layers on the tire, there is no step or ridge between them, it's as smooth as a.....(insert your preferred colloquialism).  Again, these are for the Tamiya A6M kits and is intended to replace the kit "rubber" tires with more appropriate (and historically more accurate) ones.  I may edit (decrease) the height of the characters a little bit if that's possible....  My source image shows them much more subdued than what I currently have.  I'm torn between leaving like this and changing it as I can always take some sandpaper to them.  Again, apologies for the crappy photograph.  Apparently my camera skills need more work....

IxTPGkD.jpg

Edited by Juggernut

10 hours ago, DrewH said:

I'd buy a pair of those straight up! Bravo Jug! 

Thanks for the confidence.  I really just made these for my own skills enhancement and my Tamiya zero's (I have three but only two will require these tires).  I have some more testing to do on the tire to make sure it's viable and once the tire has been QA'd by my source, I'll see what I'm able to do.