3D-Printed T-800 Skull

LSP_Kevin

A little while back I bought my first 3D printer - an Elegoo Saturn with the Mercury X wash and cure bundle. I've finally been able to set it up and start using it, with mixed results so far. My first print was just a pair of rooks that came as a test file on the bundled USB drive:

2NsoHD.jpg

I was certainly pretty happy with that result for a first try!

The subject of this post is my second print, which I downloaded from Thingiverse: a T-800 skull. This also printed out surprisingly well:

qHSx7R.jpg

The two prints I've done since this one haven't been as successful, but that's a long story. Instead, I present to you the finished, painted item:

Ihb1lk.jpg

I really needed to do more prep work in order to do justice to the shiny metal finish, but it looks OK from a distance, and pretty cool tucked away in the display cabinet. It's certainly been a valuable learning experience, and I'd like to find and print a full T-800 figure at some stage. I've got a long way to go before that, though!

Kev

Hi Kev,

My prefered method for 3D prints is after a good clean and dry, then spray with car type grey primer (I use Halfords in the UK) then before it drys spray over with Mr Finishing Surfacer 1500 gray then give it about 24hours in a warmish place that gives it a good coating to work on. After I'm happy with the part a final seal of Mr F Surf 1500.

We've been using that combo for years and both sprays directly from a rattle can.

Bob

On 6/18/2022 at 7:38 PM, Bob MDC said:

Hi Kev,

My prefered method for 3D prints is after a good clean and dry, then spray with car type grey primer (I use Halfords in the UK) then before it drys spray over with Mr Finishing Surfacer 1500 gray then give it about 24hours in a warmish place that gives it a good coating to work on. After I'm happy with the part a final seal of Mr F Surf 1500.

We've been using that combo for years and both sprays directly from a rattle can.

Bob

Thanks for this info.  I have a 3D printed Fritz guided bomb to paint.  My first printed part. Your combination makes perfect sense.  I will carry on with your suggestion 

Since I needed to at least attempt to get a second video up on my YouTube channel, I decided to put this one on the turntable and make a short clip of it. It's just a silly little thing, but adds another dimension to the still photos.

Let me know if the music sucks - I'm still trying to find suitable background music for these videos.

Kev

7 minutes ago, Gazzas said:

Very cool skull and video.  The music had a suitable industrial sound…. But not very dreadful.

I really wanted to use the music from the film, but didn't want to risk a copyright strike. Plus, I couldn't find it anywhere.

Kev