Hasegawa FW 190A-8 Gustav Salffner, 7./JG 300

duke_

4 hours ago, Thunnus said:

FWIW... I did a search on the photo that I posted and it was listed as a prop from a 190A at the National Technical Museum in Prague.  I could find no other information on it.  And also... the photo Mike posted of the D-9 seems to indicate some sort of "something" along the leading edges of the two visible prop blades, if my eyes are not deceiving me.  The brownish color could be rusted metal... just saying.

5 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

I'm not sure that was a metal reinforcement. Also not sure it was on all D-9s

fipLYVF.jpg

bkiyv30.jpg

:shrug:

John, Mike , thank you for the photos!

is there any chance that the reinforcement could be doped linen like many propellers during ww1?

or i could always use the metal one ..

15 hours ago, duke_ said:

John, Mike , thank you for the photos!

is there any chance that the reinforcement could be doped linen like many propellers during ww1?

or i could always use the metal one ..

Hey Spyros, the VS111-9 blades were laminated wood (duh) covered in an oil cloth material and painted RLM70.

I've also read (somewhere) that 'some' late D9s were paint black or dark blue.

Most photos of wartime D9s show nothing on the leading edge of the blade. Jerry Crandall's books say nothing

about the leading edge so I wouldn't assume there was anything metal on the blades.

Your progress is looking quite nice.

I also checked JaPo's Dora books and they didn't mention anything about the prop blade materials other than they were wood.  There were a couple of photos of broken props that didn't show any indication of metal reinforcement so I am now in agreement with Mike.  I guess I jumped to conclusions when I saw the photo that I posted and assumed that the strip on the leading edge was metal.

21 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Hey Spyros, the VS111-9 blades were laminated wood (duh) covered in an oil cloth material and painted RLM70.

I've also read (somewhere) that 'some' late D9s were paint black or dark blue.

Most photos of wartime D9s show nothing on the leading edge of the blade. Jerry Crandall's books say nothing

about the leading edge so I wouldn't assume there was anything metal on the blades.

Your progress is looking quite nice.

18 hours ago, Thunnus said:

I also checked JaPo's Dora books and they didn't mention anything about the prop blade materials other than they were wood.  There were a couple of photos of broken props that didn't show any indication of metal reinforcement so I am now in agreement with Mike.  I guess I jumped to conclusions when I saw the photo that I posted and assumed that the strip on the leading edge was metal.

thanks again guys!

Mike, i just. saw your post...

and i spent so much time to figure out how to create the extra fabric ayer on the leading edge...

i finally. did it , but now too much trouble for nothing i guess :)))

dVESkIB.jpgDXOc0y1.jpg?1H6yHA1H.jpg

Edited by duke_

On 8/5/2022 at 7:11 AM, Uncarina said:

Beautiful, meticulous work! I particularly like the middle photo.

Cheers,  Tom 

11 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

Outstanding.   

thank you  guys for your comments!

On 8/7/2022 at 6:53 AM, Thunnus said:

Sorry if I led you down an erroneous path, Spyros! But the prop blades look fantastic!

thank you John! nothing to feel sorry about!

that was my guess too when i saw the photo. 

its easy to remove that extra layer on the edges , its just mr surfacer ..

i ll do it again with rlm 70 and some off white chipping for the fabric underneath instead of wood..

45 minutes ago, Hoss FL said:

I've been following along as I build my Dora. Wonderful work, Duke!

thank you. Hoss! i am following your build too since i have two D9's waiting in line..