Question on color for part of F-14 engine

Okay, I would like a little help since I am not the best judge on figuring the color of an object, especially when a number of instructions offer varying vague color options.  My current F-14 build has the section of the engine labelled dark gray, no FS color.  The picture below where the arrow is pointing seems to look more like carbon fiber so for painting purposes, would this be a dark steel or gray?  Suggestions or comments?  Or am I just that blind?

52148089867_6416362782_b.jpg

Picture was found here: http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/bill_spidle_f-14d/f-14d_159600_christine_parts/

I think you'll get plenty of opinions on this. 

A very skilled modeller on here uses the "paint what you see" approach and his models are always outstanding. 

It's just what it sounds like. Use a colour that looks right to your eyes. Try not to be too constrained by full size paint codes etc. 

The actual panel is indeed carbon fibre so it can range from a medium grey in appearance to virtually black. 

Try experimenting on an old scrap kit or even the parts tree to see what you like. 

Cheers. 

12 minutes ago, ulvdemon said:

It does, thanks everyone for the help.

I am not an F-14 expert! But looking closely at that part of the plane, and in other photos, I agree that it looks like some type of composite material.   You can see the "weave" in it.

I wonder what 1/24 scale carbon decals would look like on your 1/32 F-14.  Not sure if you build cars/bike kits, but there are lots of carbon/kevlar/composite decal sheets out there.

If you want to paint it, I'd go with some sort of "graphite" type appearance.

Not super metallic in appearance, but not just a simple "gray" type color either.

Kind of a hybrid between metallic and not metallic! 

Here's a link to some carbon decals that might work.  (or something like this)  

https://www.megahobby.com/products/carbon-fiber-sheet-1-24-1-25-gofer-racing-decals.html

Edited by ringleheim