1/32 German nightfighter exhaust muffler tube details?

thierry laurent

Hi,

Does anybody know if one photoetched set has the round mesh part that is protecting the front intake of such tubes? I'm looking for one with a cross structure. This is the type commonly used on Ju88G-6 or some Ju-188. However, similar tubes were used on other nightfighters with DB or Jumo engines.

This should more or less look like that gunsight drawing:

https://depositphotos.com/71182377/stock-photo-illustration-of-a-gun-sight.html

The Eduard external set for the 1/32 Revell He219 kits has similar parts but not identical ones as they only have a three pronged star support (rather than four).

I also thought of using photoetched gunsight parts but the issue is the external diameter as the part needs to be more or less 6mm large! Possibly a 1/24th part?

Any idea?

In the worst case, if nothing is available. I will try to find thin photoetched crosses (Albion?) and add a spiral-shaped wire behind it. Indeed, it looks some muffler end meshes did not have concentric wires welded on the cross but rather a single wire shaped in a spiral.

Thanks in advance!

Thierry

The only kit I can think of released would be the Hasegawa Ju-87 Night Intruder, but I don't know what etch sets were released for it, don't Profimodeller and Quckboost have some exhaust mufflers, might have etch included, might sell them separately?

Thanks Andy.

For whatever reason the Eduard set for the Ju-87D is refering to the Hasegawa kit but actually gives parts for the Revell release that had no exhaust muffler, nor the nightfighter decals! So, this is not an option.

And, as far as I know all the Quickboost mufflers released for the Revell edition of the Ju-87D just give the tubes without the meshes!

So, I think people willing to build a Ju-87 nightfighter will probably have the same problem! I did not realize that before! Damn it!

This just demonstrates I have to find a solution!

T.

26 minutes ago, Rick Griewski said:

An old Eduard PE Exterior set for the Revell Bf-110G has the exhaust intake screens. 

Thanks Rick.

I just looked as I have it and my 110 plans were close to me because I had just checked my other nightfighters. Unfortunately, it has the same feature than the more recent He219 sets: a three pronged star shape whereas it looks Junkers planes used a four pronged star shape.

It looks there is no Luftwaffe intake screen with the appropriate pattern, I think I will have to do it myself with photoetched crosses, wheels or gunsights. I'm still investigating!

Cheers

Thierry

2 hours ago, mozart said:

Yes Thierry, I’ve got 8 that are spare…..if you want them PM your address to me and I’ll send them asap.

Hi Max,

Highly appreciated but the AIMS parts are similar to the Eduard Me110G set. The star-shaped support is a three pronged one whereas Junkers birds used a 4 pronged one on all the pictures I saw.

So, I will use the DIY approach.

Thanks again 

Thierry

If these are the ones you mean, the Revell He 219 comes with them in plastic in the kit;

o2rb8Gd.jpg

I think the HPH Ta 154 has them in photo etch but I doubt you can get them without buying a 250.00 kit....kinda expensive for a sheet of photo etch;

and I made my own with wire and leftovers for a couple of Ju 88's

cL3Sfmu.jpg

Again, only if this is the kind you were speaking of, if so, if I can make them I'm certain you can.

2 hours ago, chrish said:

If these are the ones you mean, the Revell He 219 comes with them in plastic in the kit;

think the HPH Ta 154 has them in photo etch but I doubt you can get them without buying a 250.00 kit....kinda expensive for a sheet of photo etch;

and I made my own with wire and leftovers for a couple of Ju 88's

Again, only if this is the kind you were speaking of, if so, if I can make them I'm certain you can.

Thanks Chris.

I have those kits but they need such parts. As you did I will do them myself with Albion small  cross-shaped connectors and Aber photoetched circles or some thin wire! I was simply wondering if a lazy, time-saving, option was not available but it looks this is not the case.

Thierry