Border Models 1/32 Lancaster Coming This Week!!!!!

DrRizzo

On 6/20/2022 at 11:52 AM, DrRizzo said:

The Lancaster arrived today and everything is intact! A card inside the box from Andy stated they inspected the clear parts before shipping to make sure there was no damage! That is one of many reasons I like to purchase from AndysHHQ. They really have outstanding customer service! This kit may be more than I can handle. It is HUGE and I'm not sure I have the talent to do it justice. I'll have to contemplate on this!

Well then just send it on to me and I’ll give it a go!  :clap2:

Edited by ScottsGT

Received my kit via Andy's Hobby Headquarters about about 10 days ago. Found that the main canopy piece was cracked on the side. Reported it to Andy's and received my replacement part today !!!  Very happy !!!

I think I need to "warm-up" on an HKM Lancaster kit before tackling this beast.

-Scott

Large box arrived today via Albion Alloys and Scale Model Shop all canopies double wrapped !! and in good order.

Its big "bloody big" and was looking forward to a good inspection over the weekend BUT a couple of jobs came in after being fairly quite "bloody typical" 

Scale Model shop had a batch of about 20 arrived Wednesday only one left :)

Bob

5 hours ago, Bob MDC said:

Large box arrived today via Albion Alloys and Scale Model Shop all canopies double wrapped !! and in good order.

Its big "bloody big" and was looking forward to a good inspection over the weekend BUT a couple of jobs came in after being fairly quite "bloody typical" 

Scale Model shop had a batch of about 20 arrived Wednesday only one left :)

Bob

Good to hear Bob. I may have missed it, but any updates on the Lancaster crew figures?

Interesting that clear parts of the Lancaster are sub optimal is some ways and not to Wingnut standards as the the rest of the plastic is. Wingnut Wings would have had little experience with clear parts as WW1 planes had none or a very few simple pieces. The Lancaster clear pieces and sprues are very complicated and large. Other experienced model companies would have likely avoided production designs that caused seam lines to appear. Obviously Wingnut Wings never got around to develop them to the level of their quality standards before they abandoned the project and business. 

Edited by frothingillbellows

17 hours ago, Gary Needham said:

Mine arrived yesterday and now I just need to pluck up the courage to unpack and check it all off...and then try and get it all back in the box again!

Gary

Once it’s out you’ll never get it back in:wicked:

• 3 weeks later...

Despite opting for the $20USD shipping via Slow Boat From China, mine unexpectedly 

and surprisingly swiftly arrived on my doorstep in the UK yesterday……

….. the slow boat was obviously steaming full ahead.

I was truly excited when I saw what the knock on the door had brought me,

but then really trepidatious about opening it to reveal canopy etc. damage.

But no clear parts had  been damaged in transit, there were however a small number of clear parts with those ‘cold front’ fine lines in them;

they are most noticeable in the bomb aimer’s blisters, but you do have to be looking for them under the right lighting conditions for them to be annoying.

I now have to pluck up courage to remove sprues from one side of the box in order to extract the instructions which I’m told are at the bottom of the box, whilst keeping the ability to get everything back in until the build……….

Edited by Tissue and Dope

My kit arrived from ModelBau König in Germany a week ago in a enormous box;

IMG_9712

Inside was another large box;

IMG_9713

...and inside this;

IMG_9715

The box is not only among the largest i have seen, but It must be the most crammed box ever!

IMG_9719

...and below the very well padded clear parts was a note that they had inspected the clear parts for any defects.

All clear parts was as good as they just had been removed from the molding machine!

Outstanding service from MBK, Germany!

Don´t try to stuff everything in the box so the lid closes, that´s impossible as you can see!

There´s two cardboard slices on each side so If you put everything back in the same order as you remove it, it will fit (almost)!

I have never seen a kit in this quality before, the injection molded parts looks as if they were 3-D printed or resin, they have pushed the limits for IM far with this kit!

It wasn´t cheap, but I have to admit that It´s well worth the money!

Here´s many hours of sheer bliss!

Stefan :beer:

Edited by Phantom2

On 7/2/2022 at 7:07 AM, Gary Needham said:

Mine arrived yesterday and now I just need to pluck up the courage to unpack and check it all off...and then try and get it all back in the box again!

Gary

The old "dirt back into the hole" phenomenon. Factory packing of kits is a dark science that I still haven't figured out.

On 7/3/2022 at 2:26 AM, frothingillbellows said:

Interesting that clear parts of the Lancaster are sub optimal is some ways and not to Wingnut standards as the the rest of the plastic is. Wingnut Wings would have had little experience with clear parts as WW1 planes had none or a very few simple pieces. The Lancaster clear pieces and sprues are very complicated and large. Other experienced model companies would have likely avoided production designs that caused seam lines to appear. Obviously Wingnut Wings never got around to develop them to the level of their quality standards before they abandoned the project and business. 

I agree with you regarding the clear parts, WnW clear parts where always a little thick in scale compared to the rest of the kit and so the clear parts was always going to push them to get right. Couple that with clear parts being notorious for being brittle (Dragon 1/32 Bf 110 springs to mind) then this is no real suprise.

Wad reading a thread on another site and the author was saying the canopy was a very poor fit which his pictures backed up which is a worry unless the author has managed to engineer in himself during to the tight tolerance on WnW kits?

I will find out later in the year when I get on with my copy.

Regards. Andy  

Mine which arrived directly from China the other day didn’t have the two card end packing pieces and so maybe that’s something that MBK added for extra protection?

I wanted to get at the instructions at the bottom and so I removed the two ‘troublesome’ clear sprues

and turned the box upside down, slowly lifted off the bottom of the box, removed the instructions ( and the decals )

and simply put the bottom of the box back over the undisturbed grey tower of sprues.