USAF Skyraider.

6 minutes ago, Nighthawk Calling 1 said:

No that detail is missing from all three props, also from my experience that detail is on the back of the blade, looking at the picture that prop is on backwards.

I should have that the Bearcat blades have that detail too.

On 6/21/2022 at 6:40 AM, kch130 said:

As an aside, only 2 actual A-1H (and no A-1J) still fly in the world.

We get to see the A-1D 126965 “The Proud American” flying a few times a year at air shows in the Puget Sound region

Skyraider-HFF-2017-09-02-0061.jpg

-

Skyraider-HFF-2017-09-02-0075.jpg

I am not an expert as to the fine differences between the A-1D and the A-1H, but I could share some nice shots of Proud American if they would be useful as reference (or just inspiration).

So far, I've managed to photograph eight Skyraider examples for my own enjoyment, but I'm sure I'll be adding to that list eventually. Let me know if my shots of any of these would be worth posting for reference.

• AD-5 (A-1E) 52-132649 NMoUSAF
  • AD-4N (A-1D) 127007 Patriots Point
  • AD-5N (A-1G) 132534 Evergreen Aviation Museum
  • AD-4N #7797 Planes of Fame, Chino
  • AD-5W (EA-1E) 132789 March AFB
  • AD-4W 7850 Erickson Collection, Madras
  • AD-5Q (EA-1F) 135018 Pima Air Museum
  • AD-4NA (A-1D) 126965 “The Proud American” (several events)

35 minutes ago, Nighthawk Calling 1 said:

No that detail is missing from all three props, also from my experience that detail is on the back of the blade, looking at the picture that prop is on backwards.

That’s precisely what I said in my previous post. :BANGHEAD2:

5 hours ago, Ol' Scrapiron said:

We get to see the A-1D 126965 “The Proud American” flying a few times a year at air shows in the Puget Sound region

Skyraider-HFF-2017-09-02-0061.jpg

-

Skyraider-HFF-2017-09-02-0075.jpg

I am not an expert as to the fine differences between the A-1D and the A-1H, but I could share some nice shots of Proud American if they would be useful as reference (or just inspiration).

So far, I've managed to photograph eight Skyraider examples for my own enjoyment, but I'm sure I'll be adding to that list eventually. Let me know if my shots of any of these would be worth posting for reference.

• AD-5 (A-1E) 52-132649 NMoUSAF
  • AD-4N (A-1D) 127007 Patriots Point
  • AD-5N (A-1G) 132534 Evergreen Aviation Museum
  • AD-4N #7797 Planes of Fame, Chino
  • AD-5W (EA-1E) 132789 March AFB
  • AD-4W 7850 Erickson Collection, Madras
  • AD-5Q (EA-1F) 135018 Pima Air Museum
  • AD-4NA (A-1D) 126965 “The Proud American” (several events)

Hi Scarpiron

Do you have a Flickr page or something similar that you could share a link to any Raider photo you have.

On 7/21/2022 at 5:33 AM, Nighthawk Calling 1 said:

Do you have a Flickr page or something similar that you could share a link to any Raider photo you have.

My Skyraider pics are at https://447bg.org/air-modern/modern-usa/a1-skyraider/

I use that whole site (447bg.org) as my virtual museum of all the different planes and vehicles I have photographed at museums and events throughout the world. If you start exploring the site make sure you have some free time because there is a lot there. I started it as a way to organize my photos for future reference but it became a passion to log the things I got to see in person. The site scales all the photos down a little, but if you find something that has a detail you need, let me know and I'll hunt up the higher-res original.

Enjoy... but I'm serious about the free time. You'll need it.

On 7/18/2022 at 6:03 AM, Nighthawk Calling 1 said:

first time using the Quinta Studio set and I must say very impressed easy to use and for me who struggles with painting cockpits these are a game changer.

I used their 1/48 Lavochkin La-9 set and I am a convert: Quinta is good, Quinta is wise!

I'm really enjoying watching this come together.

• 1 month later...

Cockpit is finished

52311338661_2fc6d67f52_b.jpg

The other section that make up the internals are in place and the fuselage is now one.

52316301856_77b9048649_b.jpg

As you can see wheel well walls are in, where the wing fold is more parts have since been add and the guns are also made up. Next up will be to finish up front fins to go on each side of the fuselage. The aerials along the spine I've managed to break one off all ready. Still undecided on marking and weather wings folded or spread.  

7 hours ago, Nighthawk Calling 1 said:

Thanks Dekon, how is yours coming on.

I haven't touched it in a few weeks, was on vacation with the family.  I did get the wings on it but have not removed the tape that was holding them. Hope to get back to it this week, but that might be on hold also due to school starting(I'm a teacher.)

Edited by Dekon

52326613689_c9db48b563_b.jpg

Current state of play, she needs to be stuck together, hopefully by the weekend. Odd jobs around the cockpit still left to do and then mask up the cockpit and wheel bays for primer and sort out any seams. Thanks for looking hand happy modeling all, and enjoy your weekend.

Edited by Nighthawk Calling 1

• 6 months later...

Update

Over the winter not much has gone on with the raider, but as the days start to get longer and warmer I can get on with painting her. I have built up the weapons payload is shown in the image above. In other news I have built the basic airframe of Trumpeters Mig 15 as a mule to pratice painting techniques that will be used on the raider.

• 2 months later...

So finally some progress on the Skyraider, so she has been preshaded, I'll confess not the best a bit heavy handed I found that I don't have a very steady hand on the plus side I can paint a great wavy line (maybe to much coffee).

52897002802_4f07a4d897_n.jpg

52897741409_a8705def0d_n.jpg52897681195_964a3d84d1_n.jpg

I've started to add some colour starting with the Tan. Not to sure if the preshading worked that well and as the green goes on it may disappear all together but less green will be needed to get decent coverage. I still have to build the undercarriage. I've also started painting the weapons. I hope to have both shade of green on over the next two weekends. Happy Modeling All. Sorry not the best photo's and you'll have to excuse my leggs.