USAF Skyraider.

2 minutes ago, kch130 said:

And this detail, very common on 6th Spads, I don’t think I’ve ever seen done on a scale model …

https://www.facebook.com/groups/douglasa1skyraider/permalink/2023891847674974/

Looks like a closed FB group....... although I use FB I think that link is going to be impossible for most to see unless they are a member of that specific FB group.

Engine rebuild

So this is the state of the engine after last weekend catastrophe with the paint and its removal this is where I am at with it rebuild, The four cylinders have been repaired and glued back on to the center casing, next up the rocker cover and then fix the oil tubes. It doesn't look so bad, now the cylinder are back on, the main thing will be to get the oil tube ring on correctly as it aligns the engine.

I just want to say thanks for all the input so far it has been interesting to read and help with final makings. 

• 2 weeks later...

52189508922_ac34f15b83_b.jpg

Update the engine is coming back together and has had a coat of silver and then a light coat of black to give it a bit of depth and highlight the detail.

52190538118_590894a440_b.jpg

This  image shows the start of the cockpit, the raised detail has been removed and some of the recessed detail filled in preparation for the Quinta Studio set, the top side panels are now black.

52191005220_e44d18fe7c_b.jpg

internal structure and tail wheel bay in place in the fuselage and the main undercarriage bays in the wing.

52190777144_9ecfe35d72_b.jpg

And finally some of the ordnance made up along with the firewall and engine bearer. Thanks for looking enjoy the rest of the weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon All

Slow progress this last couple of weeks, cockpit coming along, first time using the Quinta Studio set and I must say very impressed easy to use and for me who struggles with painting cockpits these are a game changer. Sorry photos are not the best, shaky hands. It still needs gluing together and final details that will go on just before the fuselage haves go together so I don't knock them off because I will. That's it for now thanks for looking.

52222707549_b33d7f55d1_b.jpg

52222438621_d524d15fb1_b.jpg

Hi Stuart, quick question.  I see you are using the Barracuda Cast prop, is there an issue with the kit supplied one?  Just want to know if I can get away with the kit one or if the Barracuda Cast is a lot better.  Looking great, keep up the good work.

Thanks,

Richard

PS Used to Quinta Studio IP decals yesterday, wow, like you said they are a game changer!  

24 minutes ago, Dekon said:

Hi Stuart, quick question.  I see you are using the Barracuda Cast prop, is there an issue with the kit supplied one?  Just want to know if I can get away with the kit one or if the Barracuda Cast is a lot better.  Looking great, keep up the good work.

Thanks,

Richard

PS Used to Quinta Studio IP decals yesterday, wow, like you said they are a game changer!  

Hi Dekon

I am currently at work, when I get home I will compare the to props and get back to you.

Stuart

4 hours ago, Nighthawk Calling 1 said:

Hi Dekon

I am currently at work, when I get home I will compare the to props and get back to you.

Stuart

Hi Dekon,

Props

This photo shows from top to bottom the following Trumpeter prop from their Bearcat kit, middle is the Skyraider prop and at the bottom is the Barracuda resin prop. The differences are difficult to see but the kit prop blades are slimmer and longer than the Barracuda ones, when made up the Barracuda prop is almost spot on for overall dimension. The other thing about the Barracuda prop is the level of detail is just much better. The reason for putting the Bearcat prop in is according to the Aeroproducts web site the Bearcat and Skyraider props were the same in size and only difference being the number of teeth on the spline the Bearcat had 50 and the Skyraider had 60, so both the props in the kits should be the same and there not. so simply on size and detail the Barracuda prop is the better option. When I get to the point that the prop needs building I will build both so a side by side comparison can be made. At the end of the day it's your model and you pay the money. I'm no rivet counter and if it looks right to me that's fine, there may be people here who may know more that me.

Stuart

6 hours ago, Dekon said:

Thanks Stuart, you can see the difference, the Barracuda one is definitely wider.  Well, look like I need to order up one of those.

The other thing about the Barracuda prop is  the fit, the one in the picture is from my Bearcat and it is not glued together just nice and tight

One of the idiosyncrasies of the Skyraider propeller is the ‘kink’ on the trailing edge of each blade.

This feature is rarely mentioned because it happens ON THE BACK of each blade.
I first noticed it on this Skyraider displayed in a museum in HCM City (Vietnam) because the blades were mounted …backwards! :lol:

1-A5-F3074-F6-E0-4-F17-A647-B8-B4-A6-C68

I don’t know whether Barracuda replicated the feature but Z-M had it.
4756945-A-3712-4-C09-9-A90-697-E4-B38-B3

HTH

Cheers,

Quang

22 minutes ago, quang said:

One of the idiosyncrasies of the Skyraider propeller is the ‘kink’ on the trailing edge of each blade.

This feature is rarely mentioned because it happens ON THE BACK of each blade.
I first noticed it on this Skyraider displayed in a museum in HCM City (Vietnam) because the blades were mounted …backwards! :lol:

1-A5-F3074-F6-E0-4-F17-A647-B8-B4-A6-C68

I don’t know whether Barracuda replicated the feature but Z-M had it.
4756945-A-3712-4-C09-9-A90-697-E4-B38-B3

HTH

Cheers,

Quang

No that detail is missing from all three props, also from my experience that detail is on the back of the blade, looking at the picture that prop is on backwards.