USAF Skyraider.

So with the Bearcat finished what next, I decided to carry on with the Trumpeter theme, I know the issues with the kit, and also the fact that the light on the top of the fin need sorting as well as landing lights on the wings. So I will be looking for images of the landing lights to see what is needed. I'm not the best at painting cockpits so will be using the Quinta Studio set this will be a first for me. I will also being adding wheels and new propeller.  Paint mostly will be MRP. Any and all advice welcome.

52145727082_70d7b6d997_b.jpg

52146984254_6c541a6b30_b.jpg

If you are building an Air Force Spad, be sure to carefully check your references.  In most cases, the USAF used different wheels on their Skyraiders than the Navy did, so you might want to check to be sure you have the right ones.  I assume you are talking about adding the USAF landing/taxi lights under the wing tips.   Might want to dig around on the site here to see what you can find because I’m pretty sure someone else already has done this, so you might can save yourself some time and effort. Looking forward to see how you paint and weather yours!

Stick with the kit cockpit.  The Aires one is a nightmare to fit and the kit cockpit is good enough - I build two Korean with kit cockpit and a Nam navy Skyraider with the Aires cockpit, so I speak from the joyous experience of getting the fuselage to joint on the Nam Spad.  It was a proper mare.

2 hours ago, John1 said:

One of my favorite aircraft.    I still have a pipe dream that I’ll find one of those Fisher A-1E conversions out there.   

Good luck on your build, I’ll be following closely.  

Oh, the Fisher A-1Es are out there.  The question is:  What’s in your wallet?

First thing to check is the Yankee extractor seat. It’s the big difference.
Otherwise the USAF cockpit is mostly the same as the Navy version. The Aires resin cockpit is a waste of money. Contrary to what can be read on the internet, it adds nothing to the stock cockpit. The Eduard is a much better deal.

Don’t ask me how I know. I’ve built both the Trumpy and the ZM. If you have questions, don’t hesitate.

Cheers,

Quang

left: Trumpy

right: ZM

3-E46-B40-B-4-EF6-4-DED-AFAB-7-A1-E08-DD

16 hours ago, quang said:

First thing to check is the Yankee extractor seat. It’s the big difference.
Otherwise the USAF cockpit is mostly the same as the Navy version. The Aires resin cockpit is a waste of money. Contrary to what can be read on the internet, it adds nothing to the stock cockpit. The Eduard is a much better deal.

Don’t ask me how I know. I’ve built both the Trumpy and the ZM. If you have questions, don’t hesitate.

Cheers,

Quang

left: Trumpy

right: ZM

3-E46-B40-B-4-EF6-4-DED-AFAB-7-A1-E08-DD

Is it my eyes...or is the Trumpy a little "fat"?  Or is the ZM a little "skinny"?

Cheers

Collin

32 minutes ago, Collin said:

Is it my eyes...or is the Trumpy a little "fat"?  Or is the ZM a little "skinny"?

Cheers

Collin

Yes indeed.
On the real-life Skyraider, the rear part of the fuselage aft the cockpit is slab-sided. Furthermore there’s a pronounced ridge on the spine.
The Trumpy looks more like a P-47. The SPAD is by no means a stubby aircraft. I tried to correct it by shaving off a good part of the plastic but it’s still too fat. What you see in the photo is the modified Trumpy compared with the stock ZM.

60747-FC7-E688-4-F12-8-E8-D-5-F8-EF1-EF4

3-E242-C4-C-1697-4-B96-8-BB2-DB2745767-B

It was the main reason I stopped building the Trumpeter and switched to ZM.

The ZM has good contours and possesses a real Skyraider vibe but is a dog to build.  The over-engineering took much of the fun away.
Should the ‘old man’ offer a simplified version of the kit at a cheaper price, he would sell tons and tons!

Cheers,

Quang

Don’t get me wrong: despite the slight chubbiness (which only the more enthusiastic die-hard Spad fans would notice) the Trumpeter is a fine and pleasurable kit and would make a worthy replica as you can see many on this forum.

IMO the only AM that would make it even better are a new propeller (the most noticeable improvement), a good cockpit add-ons (Eduard or Quinta,…) and a new set of resin wheels (if using vinyl bothers you).

Happy modelling :)

Morning All,

Thanks for all the input so far, so the Trumpy kit is a bit like me a bit round and over weight, that's life. I'm thinking that she may end up looking like this one (see below).  Looking for more info on her  so will see if there is a page on the web an have a nose around.Also need to see about Yankee Extraction seat and landing lights. Question, in the kit there are parts to make a second seat would this be the Yankee one if a bit crud, some tarting up and it could be passable. The glue is out, undercarriage bay walls have been glued to the lower wing engine has been started as well as the cockpit cleaning up to allow for the Quinta Studio set. I'll try to post some photos later this weekend, the image is one of the options in the Italeri kits,

Stay safe and happy modeling/

Stuart

52155043339_1d71bed287_c.jpg

2 hours ago, Nighthawk Calling 1 said:

Morning All,

Thanks for all the input so far, so the Trumpy kit is a bit like me a bit round and over weight, that's life. I'm thinking that she may end up looking like this one (see below).  Looking for more info on her  so will see if there is a page on the web an have a nose around.Also need to see about Yankee Extraction seat and landing lights. Question, in the kit there are parts to make a second seat would this be the Yankee one if a bit crud, some tarting up and it could be passable. The glue is out, undercarriage bay walls have been glued to the lower wing engine has been started as well as the cockpit cleaning up to allow for the Quinta Studio set. I'll try to post some photos later this weekend, the image is one of the options in the Italeri kits,

Stay safe and happy modeling/

Stuart

52155043339_1d71bed287_c.jpg

You get it that this spiffy paint job is an homage to pilots calling Skyraiders “Spads”, right?  Sort of an updated version of how Spad tails were painted during the war.