Strangest box cover contest, who will be the winner?

Love the line on the boxtop of the '110, "Actual model may very from the box art." :o

But that could be a selling point, right? ;)

Seriously, however, I learned as a kid not to put too much store in the promotional artwork associated with model planes.

Fifties-era Revell, for instance, had box art that routinely exceeded the virtues of the plastic, inside.

I can distinctly recall wishing that the manus would simply place a pic of the completed model on the outside, a practice that Revell would adopt, for a period of years, a decade later!

Edited by ivanmoe

On 6/14/2022 at 1:27 PM, ivanmoe said:

Seriously, however, I learned as a kid not to put too much store in the promotional artwork associated with model planes.

I can distinctly recall wishing that the manus would simply place a pic of the completed model on the outside, a practice that Revell would adopt, for a period of years, a decade later!

The artwork is what actually sold me on purchasing many kits way back when (some of the 1:32 Revel artwork is still held in high regard by me). My single biggest disappointment though, was a 1:700 Iowa class battleship. The box art was just very appealing to me, but when I got home and realized what I'd purchased, I had a tiny bathtub toy that represented a 65,000 ton battleship. I was really frustrated that I hadn't added two and two.

Photos of finished models on the box top spelt doom for many a kit that I might have otherwise purchased, as many of them, perhaps most, looked horrible.

Guest Vincent
16 hours ago, barkhorn said:

Sometimes the Chinese kit box arts address the recent events - note the background...
284658175_55333243642dhkaf.png

Can you display the empty ERA cells open ?