1/32 Hasegawa Ki-61 Tei Hien

Thunnus

• 8 months later...
On 8/8/2022 at 2:39 PM, KiwiZac said:

Stunning stuff John! I'm eagerly awaiting the next update!

Sorry to have kept you waiting so long! ;)

I've taken a few months break from modeling but am ready to start doing it again.  For whatever reason, I feel it more difficult to re-start on the P-47D Eileen build since it is in the advanced painting stage.  I wanted to get my hands on unpainted plastic to transition me back to building so I'm jumping back onto this Hien build.  It's been boxed up for a few months now and it's time to take a peek to see where we are at.
IMG-4146.jpg

IMG-4147.jpg

Ahhh... now I remember.  The resin cockpit has been completed but before I glue the fuselage halves together, I wanted to apply rivets to the fuselage parts.  I got as far as drawing some lines on the port fuselage.
IMG-4151.jpg

I finished sketching the rivet lines on both fuselage parts using a soft leaded pencil.  I didn't have the patience to capture all of the rivet lines but put enough to add some needed surface detail to the model.
IMG-4152.jpg

The rivets were made using a Galaxy Tools riveter in the 1.00mm size.  Hard to see but this right after the rivets have been applied and the pencil markings washed off.
IMG-4153.jpg

Using 600# sandpaper, I rubbed down the rivet lines to remove the raised plastic around each hole.  I then applied a temporary brown wash to check the surface detail.  Any rivets or panel lines that aren't holding the wash can be touched up now.
IMG-4154.jpg

Here are the fuselage parts after the rivet job.  After the touch-ups are complete, I'll scrub the wash off prior to gluing the fuselage halves together.
IMG-4155.jpg

IMG-4157.jpg

IMG-4158.jpg

Thanks guys!  It's good to be back!

Since the fuselage riveting is finished, I can now insert the resin cockpit tub and glue the fuselage sides together.  I am using JB KwikWeld two-part epoxy to attach the resin sidewalls to the fuselage interior. It cures in about five minutes, giving me time to push the cockpit tub into the correct position.  Note the small rectangular piece in the upper left... it is an insert for the horizontal tailplanes that needs to be sandwiched between the fuselage sides.
IMG-4159.jpg

IMG-4160.jpg

Once the cockpit tub is secured in place, I used Tamiya Extra Thin to cement the fuselage parts together.
IMG-4161.jpg

A pre-fit of the Wolfpack resin nose...
IMG-4162.jpg

IMG-4163.jpg

On 4/14/2023 at 11:38 PM, Thunnus said:

Using 600# sandpaper, I rubbed down the rivet lines to remove the raised plastic around each hole.  I then applied a temporary brown wash to check the surface detail.  Any rivets or panel lines that aren't holding the wash can be touched up now.

Hi Thunnus, I have a question: when you notice that all your rivets are not well marked, do you redo them using the Galaxy Tools wheel or do you do them one by one with a punch/drypoint/needle?
I've found that my rivets are not done properly, but I'm always afraid to redo them with the Galaxy Tools wheel. I'm afraid to miss the ones already done and do them twice (in parallel) if you know what I mean.

Thanks guys!  Lots of things going on at home including the approaching bass fishing season so I may be distracted from modeling now and then!

On 4/16/2023 at 3:35 AM, Furie said:

Hi Thunnus, I have a question: when you notice that all your rivets are not well marked, do you redo them using the Galaxy Tools wheel or do you do them one by one with a punch/drypoint/needle?
I've found that my rivets are not done properly, but I'm always afraid to redo them with the Galaxy Tools wheel. I'm afraid to miss the ones already done and do them twice (in parallel) if you know what I mean.

I prefer to run the Galaxy Tools riveter over any existing holes if necessary as opposed to using a needle.  Like you said, if you are not careful, it's easy to miss the existing holes, resulting in new holes, which is not good!

That riveting is simply outstanding John! it's good to see you are making progress on this project!

You think is there any difference between the rivet-R and the Galaxy tools?

from the photos it seems that Galaxy produces more rounded holes or it's just my impression?

S.

Thanks guys!

On 4/18/2023 at 3:29 AM, duke_ said:

That riveting is simply outstanding John! it's good to see you are making progress on this project!

You think is there any difference between the rivet-R and the Galaxy tools?

from the photos it seems that Galaxy produces more rounded holes or it's just my impression?

S.

Thank you Spyros!  I haven't noticed any difference in the actual holes.  Very similar and I'm guessing that the holes from both are actually squares, based how these tools are produced.  But... I did notice that the RB Rivet-R tools have a different spacing when going from the large wheel to the small wheel.  The Galaxy Tools don't have this problem and the spacing is the same for the large wheel and small wheel.

Playing with the parts revealed something that isn't explained in the Wolf Pak resin instructions... there is a little bit of overlap between the kit fuselage bottom and the resin nose.
IMG-4164.jpg

The front end of the fuselage bottom needs to be trimmed off.  Luckily, the trim point is right at the panel line, which makes for an easy cut.
IMG-4165.jpg

Another round of dry-fitting with the fuselage bottom part in place...
IMG-4168.jpg

IMG-4166.jpg

IMG-4167.jpg

This is a good time to make a preliminary check of the wing fit...
IMG-4169.jpg

IMG-4170.jpg

IMG-4171.jpg

IMG-4172.jpg

Yes, there are gaps but I'm hopeful that these can be minimized.  I'll also look at alternative ways to attach the wings like perhaps gluing the wing tops on first.

Edited by Thunnus