1/32 Hasegawa Ki-61 Tei Hien

Thunnus

Thanks for the comments and your votes on the canopy!  Although this build is NOT a democracy, the votes just happened to line up with where I was leaning anyway so I'll be planning on open canopy option for now.

Still recuperating from the fishing weekend so I'll try to jump back on my builds soon!

John - looks like another masterpiece in the works!  Fun to watch, and I know NOTHING about the KI-61.  So Mr. Surfacer 1000.  Surface painting is on the horizon with my you-know-what project.  I will have to use self-etching primer on skinned surfaces.  What are the benefits of Mr. Surfacer 1000?  Over say Tamiya white or grey primer?   

44 minutes ago, JayW said:

John - looks like another masterpiece in the works!  Fun to watch, and I know NOTHING about the KI-61.  So Mr. Surfacer 1000.  Surface painting is on the horizon with my you-know-what project.  I will have to use self-etching primer on skinned surfaces.  What are the benefits of Mr. Surfacer 1000?  Over say Tamiya white or grey primer?   

They're functionally equivalent, so go with whatever is most accessible for you. Mr. Surfacer has the advantage of being more readily available in jars, and in more varieties, but may not be available where you live. The stuff in jars is easier to dilute for airbrushing, versus having to decant some from a spray can (or spray it directly out of the can).

Kev

Thanks guys!  And thank you for that explanation of Mr Surfacer, Kevin!  I really can't compare it to the Tamiya White or Grey primer since I've never used those.  Mr Surfacer was the first liquid putty that I tried and have stuck with it.  It can be thinned with Tamiya Lacquer Thinner or Mr Leveling Thinner and used as a primer, which adds to its usefulness.  Mr Primer Surfacer is a more recent variation and can be used as a primer for metal parts.

• 3 weeks later...

Jumping temporarily over to the Hien build as I wait for some products to arrive on the Dora build.

A fuel regulator was fashioned from a piece of sprue, a strip of brass sheeting and couple of Anyz line connectors.
IMG-2767.jpg

Not knowing what color it was, I decided on red to match the cartoon drawing of the Hien I posted earlier.
IMG-2768.jpg

img6905e138zik5zj.jpg

Here's the regulator in place.
IMG-2770.jpg

After the regulator was glued into place, I placed some copper wiring to to replicate the two fuel lines.
IMG-2771.jpg

IMG-2772.jpg