1/32 Hasegawa Ki-61 Tei Hien

Thunnus

21 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

And so it does!

Kev

Thanks Kevin!

20 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

Great decision to rivet it. It looks much more purposeful now.

Matt 

Thanks Matt!  I does make it look more like a purposeful machine.  Now I have to work up the motivation to rivet the rest of the aircraft!

16 hours ago, dennismcc said:

What an amazing improvement, nice job

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks for checking in Dennis!  Appreciate it!

11 hours ago, chrish said:

Beautiful work!

Thanks Chris!

10 hours ago, Alex said:

That is looking truly excellent.

Thank you Alex!

7 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

Fantastic improvement.

Thank you!

4 hours ago, airscale said:

just popped in for some inspiration...   as usual, I wasn't disappointed..

just sublime work as always :wub:

Peter

Thanks Peter... almost embarrassed to have you step into my humble build!  Thank you so much for the comment!

After fixing and riveting the nose, I decided to thin the edge of the baffles above the exhausts.  Ignore the elongated shapes of the rivets... that's just the result of the sanding process.
IMG-2567.jpg

IMG-2568.jpg

Time to start closing up the cockpit.  In order to orient the oxygen hose and mask, I have glued the starboard sidewall onto the cockpit floor first.  The front and rear bulkheads were put into place temporarily as a fitting template for the sidewall.
IMG-2569.jpg

The oxygen hose has been roughly cut to length and posed to fit the mask, which will be placed on the right edge of the seat.
IMG-2570.jpg

I've added straps to the mask made of strips of aluminum foil and the mask was spot-glued to the right edge of the seat.
IMG-2573.jpg

The rear bulkhead with the seat was then glued into place onto the cockpit floor.  It took some wriggling to get the oxygen hose connected to the mask.
IMG-2575.jpg

Once that was done, I glued the front bulkhead/instrument panel into place.  The Aires cockpit fits very well together with consistent contact around all of the edges.  I simply held each part in place with my fingers and seeped thin CA glue into the joints.
IMG-2576.jpg

IMG-2577.jpg

The port sidewall is glued in last. The cockpit is complete!  
IMG-2578.jpg

Now I want to check the fit of the resin cockpit into the fuselage.  I can now confirm that the Aires resin cockpit for this kit is a drop-in fit without any need for adjustments to the fuselage parts.  The forward gun deck of the resin cockpit DOES need to be removed in order for it to work with the Wolfpack resin Tei nose.
IMG-2580.jpg

IMG-2581.jpg

IMG-2582.jpg

The Wolfpack resin nose is then slipped into place, again confirming the previous dry-fit assessments of a good fit.
IMG-2584.jpg

IMG-2585.jpg

I have not decided whether to pose the canopy open or closed. Here is a check of the fit of the open canopy parts.
IMG-2586.jpg

IMG-2587.jpg

IMG-2588.jpg

1 hour ago, scvrobeson said:

Great progress!  Looks like the windscreen might need to be checked though, it looks a bit wide.

Tried sending you a PM, but it came back with an error message that you can't receive them.

Matt 

Thanks Matt!  And thanks for the heads up on the windscreen.  I think it is just shifted to the right.  It's hard to keep everything aligned on these dry-fits because I'm not using anything except gravity and friction to hold most parts in place.  But I'll double check!

17 hours ago, Kahunaminor said:

John,

I know your preference is a closed canopy but if you can be swayed then please leave this one open! Great work.

Kent

16 hours ago, Beaconroot said:

Absolutely stunning work as always John! Not that it matters but I would vote for an open canopy.

Jim Root

14 hours ago, adameliclem said:

Gorgeous work, John. FWIW, I think all the elements of the cockpit are so clearly defined that closing the canopy wouldn’t hide much…except for the mask, which is too good to bury, IMHO.

Cheers,

Adam

11 hours ago, Alex said:

Cockpit looks way too good to close the canopy permanently.  I always just leave them unglued on mine, so it can be posed in either position.

11 hours ago, dennismcc said:

That cockpit looks so good I would have to vote for an open canopy, or it left loose.

Cheers

Dennis

27 minutes ago, MikeMaben said:

Fine work John , don't you dare close that canopy  ...

Tzo5aFV.jpg

Is this a democracy?   If so, this is a landslide.  

On 7/3/2022 at 4:54 AM, Thunnus said:

Thanks Kevin!

Thanks Matt!  I does make it look more like a purposeful machine.  Now I have to work up the motivation to rivet the rest of the aircraft!

Thanks for checking in Dennis!  Appreciate it!

Thanks Chris!

Thank you Alex!

Thank you!

Thanks Peter... almost embarrassed to have you step into my humble build!  Thank you so much for the comment!

After fixing and riveting the nose, I decided to thin the edge of the baffles above the exhausts.  Ignore the elongated shapes of the rivets... that's just the result of the sanding process.
IMG-2567.jpg

IMG-2568.jpg

Time to start closing up the cockpit.  In order to orient the oxygen hose and mask, I have glued the starboard sidewall onto the cockpit floor first.  The front and rear bulkheads were put into place temporarily as a fitting template for the sidewall.
IMG-2569.jpg

The oxygen hose has been roughly cut to length and posed to fit the mask, which will be placed on the right edge of the seat.
IMG-2570.jpg

I've added straps to the mask made of strips of aluminum foil and the mask was spot-glued to the right edge of the seat.
IMG-2573.jpg

The rear bulkhead with the seat was then glued into place onto the cockpit floor.  It took some wriggling to get the oxygen hose connected to the mask.
IMG-2575.jpg

Once that was done, I glued the front bulkhead/instrument panel into place.  The Aires cockpit fits very well together with consistent contact around all of the edges.  I simply held each part in place with my fingers and seeped thin CA glue into the joints.
IMG-2576.jpg

IMG-2577.jpg

The port sidewall is glued in last. The cockpit is complete!  
IMG-2578.jpg

Now I want to check the fit of the resin cockpit into the fuselage.  I can now confirm that the Aires resin cockpit for this kit is a drop-in fit without any need for adjustments to the fuselage parts.  The forward gun deck of the resin cockpit DOES need to be removed in order for it to work with the Wolfpack resin Tei nose.
IMG-2580.jpg

IMG-2581.jpg

IMG-2582.jpg

The Wolfpack resin nose is then slipped into place, again confirming the previous dry-fit assessments of a good fit.
IMG-2584.jpg

IMG-2585.jpg

I have not decided whether to pose the canopy open or closed. Here is a check of the fit of the open canopy parts.
IMG-2586.jpg

IMG-2587.jpg

IMG-2588.jpg

that 's a beauty John!

and of course the open canopy option! at least this is a sliding one..

S.